Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Crisp Glock Trigger?

Jeremiah

While this is getting away from the competition/sport aspect of this forum, as an attorney, I have NEVER seen a case, criminal or civil, where weight of trigger pull was a material issue. The primary - if not sole - issue is whether the use of force was justified in light of the threat presented.

If I had a nickle for everytime I heard the claim that a lightened trigger creates increased liability exposure, I'd retire filthy rich and become a fulltime shooter. I simply have never seen such a case. Moreover, as a trial lawyer, I think it would be quite easy to defend against such an unsubstantiated allegation. Seriously, though: if you are justified in shooting, what difference is there if your pistol has a light trigger pull? I just don't get it.

Joe - are you still doing trigger jobs, and if you are can you give me some info. re: price and time?

Cheers,

-brian reynolds

Edited by joker22

Clay1

Thanks for the help.

I added the stoning process to the .25 trigger job and with no parts change I think the trigger is just fine. Since it's a "new thing" :D I've been dry firing the crap out of it and don't see the trigger as a problem even after 35 years shooting 1911s.

It's just different.

In every one of my Glocks (Compeition and Carry) I have done the $0.25 trigger job (using a dremel polishing pad and Flitz, not Q-tips), and installed the Glock factory 3.5# aka 4.5# connnector.

I would never ever put an aftermarket part in a Glock that would be used to protect my life. I have seen way to many Glocks with reduced striker springs and $200 trigger jobs that don't go bang every time.

My triggers break between 4.25# and 4.5#. In order to go lighter, you sacrifice reliability in my opinion.

While this is getting away from the competition/sport aspect of this forum, as an attorney, I have NEVER seen a case, criminal or civil, where weight of trigger pull was a material issue. The primary - if not sole - issue is whether the use of force was justified in light of the threat presented.

If I had a nickle for everytime I heard the claim that a lightened trigger creates increased liability exposure, I'd retire filthy rich and become a fulltime shooter. I simply have never seen such a case. Moreover, as a trial lawyer, I think it would be quite easy to defend against such an unsubstantiated allegation. Seriously, though: if you are justified in shooting, what difference is there if your pistol has a light trigger pull? I just don't get it.

Joe - are you still doing trigger jobs, and if you are can you give me some info. re: price and time?

Cheers,

-brian reynolds

Thanks for sharing that, Brian. It's good to hear an insider's experience.

Can you also tell us if you've ever seen any cases made based specifically on use of reloads/handloaded ammo and/or a disabled grip safety?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

*I apologize in advance to the Mods and Brian if this question is over the line. I'm not trying to start a use-of-force thread with this. I just find this interesting in light of all the gun writers and trainers that have been dragging out these ghost stories for so long. So far, no one I've talked to has evidence of such an issue actually being used to prosecute someone when the remaining sum of their actions was just.

JFD, Glad that things are working out for you. Right are right in that the triggers are different, but it is a new challenge. How about that wife of yours, is she shooting that thing yet?

My wife is signed up for a basic pistol course within the next month. I'm one of the instructors but it's like learning to drive, it's nice for her to hear the same things that I have been telling her from someone else. ;) Good luck to both of you with your new Glock.

Bountyhunter said: "Grab the ends and stretch and recheck. Apply enough stretch to increase the free length about 1/4". The light strikes should disappear." I've never tried this and don't have a definitive answer, but was wondering what a spring manufacturer would think of stretching a spring past it's design characteristics so much that it puts a new permanent position on the coils. I would think that it wouldn't be a good thing. Kind of like trying to get 18 rounds in a 17 round mag. You can do that but it damages the spring. Shoot a new reduced power striker spring or a stock spring would be my thought on this one. I'll admit that I could be wrong. I have heard these kinds of comments before on changing a spring. If I remember tomorrow (night shifter - read later today after I get out of bed) I will call ISMI and see what they say about these kinds of alterations to springs just out of curiousity. Thanks Bountyhunter for bringing this one up so I can ask the question.

Rick

1. Get a 3.5lb connector.

2. Get an extra power trigger return spring from Glockmeister (not from Wolff).

3. Use a set of stones to clean up the metal surfaces, then use a dremel an polishing compound to further smooth them up...ala, the $0.25 trigger job

4. Remove a few coils from the safety plunger spring.

That should be a vast improvement, and you will likely still like it for carry (your choice).

Flex,

you aren't talking about one of the NY trigger springs are you?

http://glockmeister.com/catalog/product_in...products_id/235

M

Cheers,

-brian reynolds

Thank you Brian, guess it's one of those urban myths. A trainer told me that a prosecuting attorney would contend that you did not actually intend to shoot but that the gun went off due to it’s “hair trigger”, thus opening the door to other charges.

John

Cheers,

-brian reynolds

Thank you Brian, guess it's one of those urban myths. A trainer told me that a prosecuting attorney would contend that you did not actually intend to shoot but that the gun went off due to it’s “hair trigger”, thus opening the door to other charges.

John

Similar apologies to the moderators if I'm guilty of prolonging a thread shift, but you guys might want to do a seach on Glocktalk. I didn't read it myselft, but I believe there was recently a long thread in which Masaad Ayoob discussed this matter at length with examples.

Please read it tonight and provide me with a one page summary in the morning. 50 points.

I searched for the referenced article on GT, but could not find it.

CAVEAT: My foregoing statements refer to the INTENTIONAL use of a firearm in self-defense, i.e. I was in immediate and imminent fear of death or serious bodily injury and I intentionally used force in self-defense.

My statements do NOT apply to accidental or negligental situations, i.e., I was just standing there with my finger on the trigger pointing a weapon at somebody and the gun just went off; I had a loaded gun in my nightstand and my young child grabbed it and it just went off.

Again, apoligies for the thread drift.

Back on track, Joe do you perform your 3# extra-crispy trigger jobs for other people, and if so can you send me some info. Thank you.

Cheers,

-br

Edited by joker22

1. Get a 3.5lb connector.

2. Get an extra power trigger return spring from Glockmeister (not from Wolff).

3. Use a set of stones to clean up the metal surfaces, then use a dremel an polishing compound to further smooth them up...ala, the $0.25 trigger job

4. Remove a few coils from the safety plunger spring.

That should be a vast improvement, and you will likely still like it for carry (your choice).

Flex,

you aren't talking about one of the NY trigger springs are you?

http://glockmeister.com/catalog/product_in...products_id/235

M

ummm...heck no.

Sorry for any confusion.

Trigger Kit #1 - Glockmeister's own custom made competition trigger spring - gives you a lighter take-up. This kit has one Glockmeister competition trigger spring. $2.50