Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite Video Games

Flexmoney

Combat Flight Simulator - Flying a Zero in the Pacific campaign is like shooting an open gun in IPSC!

Unreal Tournament 2003 - I get killed all the time because I am just looking around at the scenery.

And from the dusty old Vault.....

Street Fighter - arcade version only please.  That game was tremendously fun and I still have enough twitch reflex left that I can hold my own against the kids in the modern version, well for a little while.  :)

-ld

"I quit arcade games in the 80's, but back then my faves were Tempest, Xevious, Gyruss and Galega."

My almost 9 year old daughter wipes the floor with me at PS 2 games regularly but if I could just get her in a Galaga duel!!!

PS I know theres a program out there that has all the arcade style games so you can play them on a PC.  But if you can't SLAM the little joystick and SMACK the buttons can it be the same???  

3qt,

I had ALL of those games once.  A neighbor put them on for me.  He was looking for an old stand-up arcade game to load them into (so he could slam the machine).

They were pretty cool.  The exact games...but there were so many that they took up well over half of my hard-drive at the time.  

Now thats a thoughtful neighbor,  helps you install a game so he can practice beating up a defenseless machine.  YOUR machine at that!!!

If you know a link (wait,  what did I just say!!!) or the name of the program let me know.  I can't imagine capacity would be a problem with the drives we have now.

I think you guys are talking about M.A.M.E. which is pretty cool but I, like 3/4time, need to bang around with the original controls.  

BrianH,

Tempest and Galaga got a LOT of my quarters back in the old days.  Back then I was highly motivated to get good at those games because I didn't have enough cash for too many replays.  

Now I have a teenager to raise and she is a bit more, er..., productive than I was.  Shooting high power and smallbore are her ideas of fun.  Kids these days.

-ld

A dozen years ago I worked for Atari.  (Shortly after that, the company collapsed ).  As part of the collapse, I ended up with a couple old table-top style arcade machines-- the kind you'd see in Pizza Hut.  Right now they're Missile Command and Arkanoid, but that may get converted back to Pac-Man.

Those machines are becoming collectors items, but if you look around, you can sometimes find the less popular ones for $200+.  (All the new machines have interchangable parts and never seem to come on the market.. )

The ultimate home arcade machine now is to get one and swap the guts for an old PC running MAME-- then you get tons of classic games and the smack-em-around indestructible controls.

Something about those old games-- since they didn't have stunning graphics, they had to have good gameplay.

(Edited by shred at 12:43 pm on Dec. 29, 2002)

My brothers got a PS2 for xmas and I bought them World Rally Championship, Gauntlet: Dark Legacy, NBA 2003, and SSX: Tricky.

WRC rocks. You get in a little high-strung turbo 4WD Euro or Japanese sedan and get all out of shape on dangerous, low-traction roads.

Gauntlet was pretty fun, a lot like the arcade original.

About the only computer game I play is Combat Mission: Berlin to Barbarossa. (WWII in the east, sequel to Beyond Overlord, western front.) You plot your moves in exacting detail, then watch as the computer plays a 3D movie of one minute of action. It takes forever to play, 15-30 min to plot one turn, and there are usually 20+ turns in battle. Which reminds me, I have to get back to my poor Ivans, who just got their lead platoon of T-34s wiped out on the steppe by the new Panthers at 2,000 meters. Damn gamey Germans bringing Open guns, that's not tactical!

My brothers got a PS2 for xmas and I bought them World Rally Championship, Gauntlet: Dark Legacy, NBA 2003, and SSX: Tricky.

WRC rocks. You get in a little high-strung turbo 4WD Euro or Japanese sedan and get all out of shape on dangerous, low-traction roads.

Gauntlet was pretty fun, a lot like the arcade original.

About the only computer game I play is Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin. (WWII in the east, sequel to Beyond Overlord, western front.) You plot your moves in exacting detail, then watch as the computer plays a 3D movie of one minute of action. It takes forever to play, 15-30 min to plot one turn, and there are usually 20+ turns in battle. Which reminds me, I have to get back to my poor Ivans, who just got their lead platoon of T-34s wiped out on the steppe by the new Panthers at 2,000 meters. Damn gamey Germans bringing Open guns, that's not tactical!

(Edited by Erik Warren at 12:15 pm on Dec. 30, 2002)

For PS2:

Red Faction II: reminds me of doom with more plot and more weapons

Armored Core III:  not nearly as good as MechAssault for XBox, but pretty damn cool nonetheless

Tom Clancey's Ghost Recon:  very cool first person shooter.  Not as many weapons choices as Rainbow Six for PS1, but the command and control is much better.

Grand Turismo III A-Spec:  where else could you build a 393 hp Mazda Miata that will dance around a Corvette Z06?  The graphics are just awesome.  When you are driving headfirst into the sun, its like you really are.

MAME was a Lot better before some of the companies who still own the rights to some of these old games started filing lawsuits to prevent them from being distributed without paying royalties!  I still use it alot, though!  Like almost anything else, you can still find the game ROM's if you are willing to look for them!  :)

As for my favorite Video Game...  Unreal Tournament.  

It's the only one I have played enough to be good at!  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

metal gear solid integral is the best vid ever!

but i find it funny no ones mentioned any good light gun games, like virtual cop I and II, time crisis I and II, vampire night, point blank I/II/III, silent scope I and II, house of the dead I and II, police 911 I and II, terraburst, and etc.