Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Shield

ErikW

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was the whole "money train" subplot dropped?

Not really ---- it was partially resolved when Lemanski burned the marked cash at the end of Season three, but it also led to the split-up of the Strike team that we saw in the beginning of Season Four. I have a feeling the subject might come up again, down the road.....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I watched the first couple episodes this weekend. (Based on this wonderful forum's recommendation.) But unfortunately it's battling for priority (in Netflix) with Dead Like Me (season 2), Kung Fu (14 DVDs!) and Firefly (4 DVDs). Pretty soon I'll never leave the house.

David Mamet thread drift... Anyone see the movie Lake Boat?

Academy Award nominee and Pulitzer Prize-winning writer David Mamet (Glengarry Glen Ross, State and Main, Heist) brings his own life experiences as a young man to the screen in this film adaptation of his play. Grad student Dale Katzman (Tony Mamet) lands a summer job on a Great Lakes freighter. Short on experience, he soon learns more than he bargained for about life, love and lost potential through stories from his fellow shipmates.

I loved it.

be

• 8 months later...

SPOILER ALERT!

The season finale was incredible. That was an incredibly tense scene with Shane and Lemansky waiting for everbody, with few words spoken. I kept thinking, "No way, he's not gonna... no way." Then, Holy Shjt. HOLY SHJT!

I think the writers might have shot themselves in the foot, though. They need Lem as the conscience of the strike team, as the likeable good guy. Now they are going to have to really develop the other guy, I can't even remember his name he's so unimportant, or recruit another member.

I wonder what's going to happen when Vic figures out is was Shane. They already had one big falling out.

Freakin' awesome TV.

It was a pretty dramatic way to end a season. I have to say I loved Forest Whitaker this season. He was one of the most interesting characters I've seen on TV in while. The writers of the show are pure geniuses. They have an unique talent for making you care about the bad guys (the whole strike team), despise the hardworking everyman (like Dutch), and hate the guy that is willing to do everything within the law to catch the bad guys (Kavanough).

I think the writers might have shot themselves in the foot, though. They need Lem as the conscience of the strike team, as the likeable good guy. Now they are going to have to really develop the other guy, I can't even remember his name he's so unimportant, or recruit another member.

I wonder what's going to happen when Vic figures out is was Shane. They already had one big falling out.

Freakin' awesome TV.

The Newark Star Ledger had an interview with Sean Ryan the exceutive producer of the Sheild the day before the last episode of the season aired. He said that he was planning on sitting down with FX to determine the best way to end the series. They have 5 or 6 episodes in the can and I got the impression from the interview that next season will see the end of the show. To that end they didn't need to keep Lem around. I think the whole point of killing Lem was to complete the circle.

I think his murder was to destroy any empathy that the viewer had for Vic or Shane. The remaining epsiodes will continue to strip away at those characters and in the end most viewers will be glad when Vic gets his in the end.

• 1 year later...

OMG, what an incredible start to the season. Best show on TV, STILL! I'm surprised no one has commented on it yet. I had to keep reminding myself to breathe. Can't wait till TUESDAY!!

Did they screw up in last night's episode?

When he went to meet with the gang leader, his soldiers insisted that he give up his pistol. He dropped the mag but kept the gun, and that satisfied them. During the meeting he drew down on the leader with one round in the chamber.

Isn't his gun a S&W 4506? Doesn't it have a mag disconnect?

Some police agencies do not like the magazine disconnector, and requested that Smith & Wesson produce versions of various autoloaders without the magazine safety/disconnector.

One example would be the original FBI specifications that resulted in the Model 1076.

So, Smith & Wesson made some that way. When I was with the Federal Bureau of Prisons, our SORT teams used S&W Model 5906's, 5904's and even some 659's in 9MM during the early 1990's. While they normally had the magazine disconnector, some were purchased without that feature.

Those frames usually had a warning, that read something like: "WARNING! Firearm can be fired when magazine has been removed!"

The last Smith & Wesson armorer's class that I took also discussed that. The instructor's told us that Smith & Wesson had produced quite a few, in assorted models and calibers, at the request of police agencies.

So, yes, Smith & Wesson Model 4506's can be found without the magazine disconnect feature.

Did they screw up in last night's episode?

When he went to meet with the gang leader, his soldiers insisted that he give up his pistol. He dropped the mag but kept the gun, and that satisfied them. During the meeting he drew down on the leader with one round in the chamber.

Isn't his gun a S&W 4506? Doesn't it have a mag disconnect?

I said the same thing to the guy I was watching the show with.....Either the technical advisor wasn't aware of this, or they did know about this and just assumed the gangsters wouldn't know about the disconnect !!!!

Great, detailed explanation. I doubt FX has anyone that knowledgeable working for them. So I have to believe either 1) Mackey took a big chance of getting rubbed out because he doesn't know his equipment, or 2) The producers knew a little bit about guns (dropping the mag can leave a round in the gun) but not enough (the 4506 won't fire without the mag).

From past experience I'm fully expecting someone on this forum to post a link to the LAPD purchase order for 4506's with the mag disconnector removed.

WARNING: SPOILERS BELOW!

Fun moments from last night:

Kavanaugh tipping his hand to Wyms by asking her to pull Dutch from the Mackey investigation.

Corinne deciding that she's the only person who gets to hurt Mackey/so sure that he wouldn't kill Lemansky that she was finally willing to talk about what happened between her and Kavanaugh.

You want conscience? Kavanaugh demonstrated it perfectly in two places in this episode; first when he turned himself in and in his final conversation with Mackey. Kavanaugh could be redeemed --- Mackey? I think not. Given what he and the strike team have pulled, they need to die or go to jail at the end of the show --- if neither happens, they need to quietly fade into the night without a major redemptive moment.....

The show continues to fascinate --- perhaps more than the Sopranos....

• 2 weeks later...

Mackey is indeed a Bad Bad Man...... Mackey is consumed with hatred and will not be denied. Of course when the drug dude is never seen again it won't be long until the rest of the BGs know that Mackey is connected to his dissaperance...

Oh what a tangled web indeed.