Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Shield

ErikW

The Shield on FX totally kicks ass. I'm completely addicted. Imagine Hill Street Blues cowritten by Elmore Leonard with David Mamet, and co-directed by Sam Peckinpah with Martin Scorsese. Great plot twists. Interesting characters blurring the distinction between bad and good. And it's a freakin' television show! Tuesdays at 10 PM.

The first season should be on DVD.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love and hate the Shield. As a show, I think it's well done, gritty and dramatic. However as a citizen and a prosecutor, I have some real issues with how the show portrays police and "the system." Pure fantasy. I realize that Erik and the people here can distinguish between TV and reality but regrettably many cannot. And of course, these many end up in my jury pools. This says more about American culture and education than it does about the show. The depiction of police corruption as the standard way of doing business does a disservice to the VAST majority of officers who do a difficult and thankless job for little pay. I am fully aware that there are "bad cops" out there but to display them as the norm or even a sizeable minority is unfair.

• 1 year later...

Last week was one of the best. Tonight's episode was OK. The writer really does a great job of juggling the multiple story lines.

Imagine Hill Street Blues cowritten by Elmore Leonard with David Mamet, and co-directed by Sam Peckinpah with Martin Scorsese.

How prescient of me. David Mamet directed next week's episode. Stand by for strange dialogue.

I love that show, It started to be aired last year here and I think I didn't missed one episode.

Is it currently the season 2 in the US ?

I read once that the show was written from a real event, a real "bad cop" from the LAPD .

I also liked 24 hours with Kiefer Sutherland, both seasons and I can't wait to see the 3rd :P

BTW, we had two other great shows here and we have no more news since the last episode.

The first is High Incident produced Mr ET and the second is BoomTown.

Are they still on air in the US ?

I love that show, It started to be aired last year here and I think I didn't missed one episode.

Is it currently the season 2 in the US ?

I read once that the show was written from a real event, a real "bad cop" from the LAPD .

Julien, don't let kellyn fool you ... all cops in the USA are just like "Vic" and his team from "The Shield."

:lol::lol::lol:

Boomtown was way too good to be cancelled, and I think it suffered from irregular scheduling on the part of NBC. That can kill an otherwise good show since people can't always find it.

I think they ran all of the episodes they made but did not air after NBC cancelled on one of the cable networks ...

I didn't pay attention to the credits... did David Mamet direct last night's episode too, or was it only a coincidence that his wife was in that episode?

The previews of next week's Mamet-directed episode include a scene of Dutch interrogating the rapist. You know that's going to be classic Mamet one-on-one. Oleanna in the interview room.

• 1 year later...
The question is - Will the fired captian # 1 get rehired? #2 come out and tell Vic his team has an IA guy on their ass?  Will the Salvadorian rat bitch get her just deserts? Tune in NEXT YEAR???  :angry: for the answer.

1. No --- Glenn Close lives in NY, the show's filmed in LA, series creator Shawn Ryan confirmed some weeks ago that Close was a single season star.

2. I thinkl she gave him that between the lines.......

3. Wouldn't it be ironic if Lemonhead, the most likeable and levelheaded guy on the team, were the first one to be busted?

Best show ever on television, and I haven't missed a second from the very first episode in season one. I only watch about two hours of tv per week about 2/3 of the year, and thank the DVR gods for eliminating senseless advertising from that.

Alright, more fans!

Glenn Close is gone. The "warning" she gave to Vic was as far as she'll go to alert them to the IA threat; she's more faithful to the department than to the strike team.

I loved Dutch telling the deputy chief (?) he wasn't the man for the interim captain job. You gotta wonder if they're setting something up by making him more aggressive and assertive.

Setting up Lem as the IA target was a stroke of writing genius. I wondered why they were focusing on that bag of H so much. Speaking of writing genius, they've put the audience on the side of a bunch of corrupt murderers. I know you are biting your nails hoping they don't get caught!