Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G21 Problem

DrKyle1

Ok, guys & gals I am having a problem w/ a G21 going click not bang. It has happened twice thus far. The gun has maybe 250 rounds through it, thouroughly cleaned and maintained. It was as if the trigger reset but the striker was not being cocked during the trigger pull and it went click. No strike on the primer at all. The first time it happened I did a tap-rack spit the live round out chambered another and it went bang. Second time I just slid the slide back far enough to reset the trigger and it went bang. Any suggestions? Is this was LAPD had going on? Thanks in advance.

Kyle

It's possible you have the LAPD problem with a trigger-bar nose that's too short or similar.

But the first thing I thought of when reading your post is that your connector may not have enough tension on it. I would put in another connector if you have one, if not you can order them from Glockmeister or CGR.

Also, a real quick safety check would be to take your slide off the frame and look at the acute angle at the back&top of the trigger bar - the part that pushes on the striker and then releases it. Make sure it's a pretty sharp angle, not rounded off. If it IS rounded off there is no repair, you must replace the entire trigger bar. Doubt this is your problem as you did not say you've gone full auto [most common result of rounded angle] but this is worth a check anyway.

If you've done a LOT of trigger work [redrilling the spring hole, etc] then you've got more possible causes, PM me if that's the case.

• 10 months later...
It's possible you have the LAPD problem with a trigger-bar nose that's too short or similar.

But the first thing I thought of when reading your post is that your connector may not have enough tension on it. I would put in another connector if you have one, if not you can order them from Glockmeister or CGR.

Also, a real quick safety check would be to take your slide off the frame and look at the acute angle at the back&top of the trigger bar - the part that pushes on the striker and then releases it. Make sure it's a pretty sharp angle, not rounded off. If it IS rounded off there is no repair, you must replace the entire trigger bar. Doubt this is your problem as you did not say you've gone full auto [most common result of rounded angle] but this is worth a check anyway.

If you've done a LOT of trigger work [redrilling the spring hole, etc] then you've got more possible causes, PM me if that's the case.

Does this mean that Glock 21's have a problem? Is this a defect from Glock? Has there been a recall? Where can I get more info on this problem? I'm considering a G21 and want to make sure I don't get one with a problem.

Thanks,

-Cuz.

I have a G21 that I purchased NIB in 2006 and I fired over 500 rounds through it with the original factory trigger with an assortment of factory ammunition ranging from Blazer to Federal and it didn’t hiccup. After breaking it in sent it to Charlie Vanek for his ultimate trigger and the firearm has continued to be extremely reliable in IDPA competition (I.e. CDP). I use Federal and Winchester Large Pistol primers and to date no problem.

Have you cleaned out the firing pin channel/extractor housing and firing pin block hole lately? When my Glocks start to act up I can find tiny brass shavings in those areas clogging things up... So I just remember to clean those areas somewhere around every 250rds and no more problems.

• 1 month later...
Have you cleaned out the firing pin channel/extractor housing and firing pin block hole lately? When my Glocks start to act up I can find tiny brass shavings in those areas clogging things up...

That was the first thing that occured to me, as well.

• 11 months later...

Glock redesigned the trigger bar a few years ago to address the light stike problem- the old trigger bar is marked 4256 the new one is marked 4256-1. I think you can buy the new trigger bar through Brownells now. My old 21 had the old style trigger bar and I would have occasional problems with reloads using win primers but always worked fine with factory ammo. After switching to the new trigger bar it worked with the win primers.