Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Competition Grips.... What Do You Use?

foosball

Hi all,

I'm new to competition shooting and I'm setting up my guns to use. Right now I have a 6" 686-5 and a 625 Vcomp with trigger job, hammer bob done on both by Bob Miles and fibre sight done on the 686. I have Hogue wood grips on them now but I would like some idea what other's use and where to get them. I have seen some Hogue grips with a bigger bottom for prone shooting and stability but I have not seen them on the Hogue web site. I have also seen Bob's gun with a rubber mono-grip with an extention on the bottom. Again not seen on the Hogue web site.

I guess if I stay around long enough I'll see it all but I'm just trying to get a head start.

Thanks for any info to come

Jeff

The Hogue rubber grips with the big bottom were only made years ago. Nice grips. I wish I was lucky enough to grab a pair.

Hogue makes some great grips and I have 5 sets on my revolvers. I also picked up a set of NILL grips

http://www.nill-griffe.de/ and have had good luck with them. There are so many models to choose from.

The Hogue rubber grips with the big bottom were only made years ago. Nice grips. I wish I was lucky enough to grab a pair.

Hogue makes some great grips and I have 5 sets on my revolvers. I also picked up a set of NILL grips

http://www.nill-griffe.de/ and have had good luck with them. There are so many models to choose from.

AzShooter, which type of Nill grip did you choose?

Welcome Foosball,

If you're shooting Wood Hogues, take your Revo out and shoot 150+ rounds in 1 session. If you have no trouble with your thumb being banged up you will have no trouble with Miculek grips. Most of us just put Skateboard Tape on the sides though.

If your thumb joint, or the area next to it, hurts or gets a blister you're better off with Hogue Grips. Just grind off the finger grooves and some of the palm swell.

Either work great. The Miculeks allows the Revo to slip around in your hand on Reloads if you use the Switch Hands Technique. Plus they allow you to shift your grip a bit easier if you get a bad draw.

The Hogue Rubber Grips are easier on your hand and seem a bit more secure under recoil. But, can catch the brass on the way out or the cartridges on the way in and cause some interesting flips (not that much to worry about though).

Or you could be like Spook and use Body Putty on a set of grips and form them to your particular hand. There's a whole thread on that subject.

Good Luck

Dave

SW0151 I think is the Model number.

It's called the Replacement

AzShooter is letting us try out an extra one that he has.

Usually we will shoot Minor but hope it will feel good with Major loads as well.

Minor for ICORE and Steel, Major for IPSC

It's really a personal choice thing with revo grips. I have the rubber, Jerry Miculek and Hogue Big Butt for my 686 L frame and like the Hogue Big Butt as it keeps my hand placement better for me.

Jerr's grip seems to be popular with those that move the gun a lot during reloads, but I never really noticed a big difference for me as I don't have a super fast reload.

I might get rid of the Jerry Miculek grip if someone is interested as I won't be using it.

Thanks for the pic AzShooter :)

Thse are the grips I am thinking about buying. They seem to make a nice base for a new franken-grip, because they cover the backstrap and are two piece (something very very unfamiliar amongst revolver grips)

You know, I picked up an old N-Frame .38 that came with a set of Herrett Shooting Stars...I thought, "Hmmm...how 'old skol!'" I started shooting the gun with 'em, though, and I find I really like the way they fit my hand. I think I like them a little better than the Miculeks. The set I have is checkered, so I'm going to order a smooth set and try them on a competition gun.

Michael B

First....get yourself an empty shoe box,

...label it "GRIPS"

...put it next to the other shoe box labeled "HOLSTERS"

Now your ready :P

But really, as the other's have stated, it's all a matter of preferance,

to me the JM grips stink until I take a dremel to them and fix the "hurt"

points. Just got a new revo with JM grips and wow !! I kinda like them?

started measuring them and compared to other JM grips I have the new

ones are .06 thicker :blink: funny how just that little diff changes the feel.

Hogue rubber grips can take a lot of whittling and they are cheap enough.

I finally got a pair of big butt grips but that's only because I got to try them

at the IRC in 04, 50-60 pairs of grips on a table and they all felt "wrong"

till I found this one pair.

Good luck on your search, and I believe you can send a tracing of your

hand to Hogue and get some custom sized grips but you better check on that.

:)

Thanks guys,

I'm getting a bunch of good idea's. I started out using a model 15 Combat Masterpiece in the LASD and had to get the bigger grips for comfort. THen I moved up to the M19 and kept the same type of grip. I have a bunch of grips now but the Hogue big butt appeals to me. I also like the idea of adding grip tape. The nill looks interesting also.

Thanks again and I'll keep reading the suggest.

Jeff

...put it next to the other shoe box labeled "HOLSTERS"
Dave - You can fit yours in a shoe box? Jeez, what a newbie. :P Mine take up a file drawer.

You must be the guy in the video singing, "I like big butts..."

Well my shoe box is from my work boots so a bit bigger than a regular shoe box :D

....and I only like big butts on my revo's :P

only my ICORE revo typically, but I have found it works for steel speed shooting too.

• 2 weeks later...
Are the Hogue Big Butt grips legal for USPSA?

Angryreb

Good question, here's rule 19.3 from appendix D10

Secition 19 Modifications permitted are limited to:

19.3 Cosmetic enhancments which do not give a competitive advan-

tage (e.g. plating, checkering of frames, custom grips);

I'd have to say the big butts are in :o

• 1 month later...

Ok. Instead of starting a new thread I thought I'd add to this one.

For Major loads what are you finding to be the best grip? I've been using Hogue Big Butts and Hogue rubber grips but I really am feeling the recoild.

I now have a set of Pachmeyer Decelerators on my 625 and at least the painis gone. Recoil feels more like my 7627 with the Hogue Big Butts on it.

Anyone else using something different for Major loads?

On my RPM 8shot:

I used to have a highly modified Hogue black nylon grip. Since the grip was made of nylon, I would sand here epoxy there till I eneded up with final shape I called "the pickle".

A few years later Miculek grip came out.

My highly modified "pickle" was almost a perfect match to the Miculek so I switched to the Miculek for looks sake. I like the wood grip look.

On my 625 and 586 I have Miculek grips also.

DVC

SW0151 I think is the Model number.

It's called the Replacement

AzShooter is letting us try out an extra one that he has.

Usually we will shoot Minor but hope it will feel good with Major loads as well.

Minor for ICORE and Steel, Major for IPSC

We found that the Nill grips felt good and the hand fell nicely on the trigger if you have good size hands. In shooting with these grips the gun seemed quite flippy. We would get what seemed to be quite a bit of muzzel flip and this was with a 126 Power Factor. If the grip was longer it might have felt better, that way the weak hand would have had more to hold on to, down low.

I use Miculeks and sanded off the area that makes your thumb hurt.

Dave

Do you have pics? What kind of thumb hurt? I'm splitting my thumb at the right leading edge of the nail and I'm having a heck of a time figuring out how it's happening. It seems like an impact injury but I can't tell if I'm cutting it on the cylinder release, banging it into the recoil shield or what.