Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Trigger Safety

bountyhunter

I have to admit that little blade in the middle of the trigger on my G35 bugs me. It does not drop flush even when pulled, so it bugs my trigger finger.

Anybody ever yank it out?

It always seemed like the dumbest "safety" ever put on a gun, since it only works as long as you follow proper gun safety and don't touch the trigger. The minute you touch the trigger, the "safety" is history.

Anyway, I hate the feel of the sharp edge on my finger and wondered if anybody else had neutered theirs.

Hmm, out of curiosity, wouldn't the firing pin safety apply? Otherwise, a DAO gun like a slick slide Beretta 92 would be illegal.

On the other hand, don't take it out!!!

My solution for my 19 and 17 was to pull the trigger out of the gun and trim the trigger safety bar flush while holding it all the way to the rear. Works best to hold up the back side of it on the back of the trigger. They still function fine and feel much better.

I took the opportunity to remove the grooves from my 19's trigger as well.

It would probably take more time to remove the safety lever and then you'd have an open groove in the face of your trigger.

Well Mr. Bountyhunter. This is just about the dumbest thing I have heard in a while. Let me explain why.

First, if said gun is used for self defense and you actually use it to shoot someone, The victims lawyers are going to be all over you. "Rambo Gun" they will say. They will say you were looking to shoot someone. If you doubt this, read Mossad Ayoobs books.

Second, if you use this gun in USPSA, rule 5.1.4 and 5.1.6 will come in to play. Not to mention that removing the trigger safety will definitely drop you out of Production division. No external modification except sights.

There are other issues to this I am sure. But why not error to side of safety?

Please don't remove the trigger safety, you are only asking to have trouble.

Note to Mods. If you think I am outa line. Think about safety first.

Edited by Caspian_45

"It always seemed like the dumbest 'safety' ever put on a gun, since it only works as long as you follow proper gun safety and don't touch the trigger. The minute you touch the trigger, the 'safety' is history"

That's sort of like saying the grip safety on a 1911 type gun is dumb, because it only works when you don't have the gun firmly in your hand, like if you drop it for example. Having a safety that prevents accidental discharge of the gun when dropped, like I imagine the Glock trigger safety does, yet allows the gun to be fired without manipulation of an external safety (one less thing to have to do before firing the gun and trying to save your life), seems to me like a smart idea, not a dumb one. :rolleyes:

Peter

The Glock pistol has (3) safeties in it:

1 - Trigger safety - the little tab in the middle of the trigger.

2 - Drop Safety - where the trigger bar actually drops down inside of the trigger pack, where the connector and ejector are housed, releasing the striker (firing pin).

3- Firing Pin Safety - Very similar to a series 80 Colt 1911, the trigger has to be pulled towards the rear to activate the plunger to allow the striker/firing pin to travel forward.

The Glock trigger is best described as a double action revolver trigger. With the Trigger Safety removed, there are still 2 funtional safeties left intact. If you shoot a double action revolver, it has less safeties than the Glock and people still are allowed to shoot these revolvers in USPSA! So I don't see what the issue is about removing the trigger bar safety.

GlockSpeed31

Youse guys shoulda listened to Charlie! All that's needed is a 3-sided generic machinists type scraper to shave the flat part down to the contour of the actual trigger face. Then it still works as a "safety" while providing much improved trigger feel.

As per USPSA, a gun must have at least one functioning safety.

Does that mean revolvers are illegal?

A Glock without the trigger safety is exactly like a revo: the safety is the long trigger pull (and hopefully, the user's brain).

Hmm, out of curiosity, wouldn't the firing pin safety apply? Otherwise, a DAO gun like a slick slide Beretta 92 would be illegal.

My solution for my 19 and 17 was to pull the trigger out of the gun and trim the trigger safety bar flush while holding it all the way to the rear. Works best to hold up the back side of it on the back of the trigger. They still function fine and feel much better.

It would probably take more time to remove the safety lever and then you'd have an open groove in the face of your trigger.

My plan was to use Crazy Glue and cement the center portion in the rear position (apply glue, clamp with a hemostat). Then, trim the protruding portion and smooth the trigger face.

I figured if I did the "flush fit" trim job and left it "free" it might not disengage reliably.

Well Mr. Bountyhunter. This is just about the dumbest thing I have heard in a while.

Then you don't spend much time on internet forums.

First, if said gun is used for self defense and you actually use it to shoot someone, The victims lawyers are going to be all over you.

It's a comp gun. The only gun that can defend my life must have .357 stamped on the barrel and a big "SW" on the side plate.

Think about safety first.

I do, but a Glock without a trigger safety (if the word even applies to that thing) still has two more safeties than any of the 12 revolvers I own.

"It always seemed like the dumbest 'safety' ever put on a gun, since it only works as long as you follow proper gun safety and don't touch the trigger. The minute you touch the trigger, the 'safety' is history"

That's sort of like saying the grip safety on a 1911 type gun is dumb, because it only works when you don't have the gun firmly in your hand, like if you drop it for example. Having a safety that prevents accidental discharge of the gun when dropped, like I imagine the Glock trigger safety does, yet allows the gun to be fired without manipulation of an external safety (one less thing to have to do before firing the gun and trying to save your life), seems to me like a smart idea, not a dumb one. :rolleyes:

Peter

For the record, I actually have said the 1911 grip safety was superfluous and I was in the company of JM Browning when I said it. His original design did not have it (he did not believe it necessary) , neither does the HI Power which he considered to be his masterpiece design. The grip sagety was added by customer request.

As for:

"like if you drop it for example. Having a safety that prevents accidental discharge of the gun when dropped, like I imagine the Glock trigger safety does, yet allows the gun to be fired without manipulation of an external safety (one less thing "

The Glock has a firing pin blocking safety to prevent drop discharge, the trigger safety has NOTHING to do with it since a drop discharge is caused by firing pin inertia, not accidental movement of the trigger. The grip safety on a 1911 also does nothing in this case, which is why the Series 80 safety system was added to the 1911. The HI Power also added a firing pin blocking safety (by using the sear lever) for such cases.

I still think the trigger "safety" is strictly lawyer proofing.

I have to admit that little blade in the middle of the trigger on my G35 bugs me. It does not drop flush even when pulled, so it bugs my trigger finger.

Agreed, but much like a drop of honey in some cough syrup, a little sandpaper and a few minutes time will make it all better... without removing a safety. I've done the same thing with the sharp edges on the magazine release. Gotta watch the manicure on that trigger finger, y'know.

Edited by jkrispies

Anybody ever yank it out?

It always seemed like the dumbest "safety" ever put on a gun, since it only works as long as you follow proper gun safety and don't touch the trigger. The minute you touch the trigger, the "safety" is history.

Anyway, I hate the feel of the sharp edge on my finger and wondered if anybody else had neutered theirs.

I would agree do not remove the trigger saftey, it can be trimmed to make it feel right and still function.

I have just used a razor knife to shave the front of the trigger saftey to get the right feel.

Just placed a small screw driver behind the trigger to depress the saftey, then just trim it down a little bit.

Don't take off too much or the saftey may not disengage all the time.

-- What Charlie & Bugs said is true, I've done that to every Glock trigger I've ever had. Match the small trigger's profile to the main trigger's profile & you will cure your problem & the gun is LESS likely to go off than the out-of-the-box gun. As safe or safer.

-- Please remember this is BE Forum, not GlockTalk, there is a difference. Thanks.

and i thought i was the only one who hated the trigger safety...

what i did:

1. took it out of the gun

2. depressed it w/ my left hands fingers

3. placed a drop of superglue at the backside

4. after a minute....MAGIC! its gone

+ i dont have a gapping hole in the middle of my trigger

and i still have 1 safety left ( drop safety) ....cos i also took out the firing pin safety plunger :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hmm, I've been shooting a G34 in Production for about 4 years, and can count on one hand the number of times I ever noticed it. Only time was when my striker spring went south and it stayed up a millisecond longer.

Other than that, I do not even remember that it is there.

All in the head. :)

Edited by vluc

As long as Dave S. keeps kicking ass with a bone-stock G17 with a pair of new sights, I won't complain about anything on my Glock. Hell, I have the 3.5lbs. connector. That's almost like cheating! ;)

Be careful about filing the little trigger safety down. It renders the gun useless (or at least non-compliant with) for Production (external modification).

Take a small round file or use a razor knife and trim some material off the front of the safety, but don't remove it.

Thanks for the advice, I will try that first.

-- What Charlie & Bugs said is true, I've done that to every Glock trigger I've ever had. Match the small trigger's profile to the main trigger's profile & you will cure your problem & the gun is LESS likely to go off than the out-of-the-box gun. As safe or safer.

-- Please remember this is BE Forum, not GlockTalk, there is a difference. Thanks.

No confusion on that point, since I apparrently have voiced an unpopular opinion here and (so far) nobody has accused me of being an unpatriotic traitor or asked to see my service record.

I was just trying to find out if the Glock trigger "safety" was akin to the Browning HI-Power magazine disconnect "safety", which resides in a small plastic bag in the closet of virtually every HP owner I have ever met or heard from. Cylinder and Slide makes the best aftermarket triggers for HP and they are not even machined to accept the parts of the magazine disconnect safety.

So, the removal of superfluous safeties is hardly unprecedented, and since the trigger assembly in question for my G35 is an aftermarket setup specifically designed to give a 2.5# trigger pull, "keeping it stock" or "keeping it safe for carry" is not really relevant to my considerations for this particular gun.

Thanks for the variety of information.

and i thought i was the only one who hated the trigger safety...

what i did:

1. took it out of the gun

2. depressed it w/ my left hands fingers

3. placed a drop of superglue at the backside

4. after a minute....MAGIC! its gone

+ i dont have a gapping hole in the middle of my trigger

Great minds think alike, that was the plan I had in mind as well.

I also planned to smooth and round the trigger face just a bit as I like the feel of rounded triggers better than flat ones.

Edited by bountyhunter

You guys can get trigger bars that are flat and smooth on the face instead of the serrated ones. Ive got several myself. To tell you the truth, Im so focused on the sight and everything else when shooting, I dont even feel the lines/serrations on the trigger face.

You guys can get trigger bars that are flat and smooth on the face instead of the serrated ones. Ive got several myself. To tell you the truth, Im so focused on the sight and everything else when shooting, I dont even feel the lines/serrations on the trigger face.

I guess I'm the freak, since I swapped out the smooth faced trigger on my G17 for a serrated G35 trigger. To each his own, I guess...

Here's a tip:

While you're melting the trigger safety lever, bevel the edges where in enters the trigger. On every G I've had the trigger safety hits here and gives a hitch.

I've run a G both ways with and without a trigger safety. I see no advantage to removing it, my Gs have the safety.

For those who think removing the firing pin safety will aid the trigger pull, I've tried it in and out. If you tune the plunger, spring and engagement point you will feel no difference.

A Glock can feel like a well tuned 1911 but it takes some knowledge and skill. The knowledge can be picked up here and on GT. The skills are up to you.

Edited by the duck of death

This is just getting just stupid. :angry:

When you remove the trigger safety on a Glock you are in essence doing the same thing as removing the thumb safety on a 1911, that has a pinned grip safety. THERE IS NO OTHER SAFETY. Don't give me this "drop safety" crap, as how many of you have heard of a dropped gun going off vs how many have seen and heard of AD's while holstering hot?

What happens on a striker fired gun with a 2.5 lb trigger and minimum takeup when you holster the gun and bump the trigger? Bang.......the end of you and your families life as you know it, most of us dont work so well with a hole in our hip or knee. If you don't bleed to death at the range the medical bills and loss of work may ruin you.

Dont get me wrong. I love my Rafael Sotelo 2.2 Lb trigger. Smoothing the finger contact surface of the trigger safety is nice, even radiousing the aft safety to frame engagement surface a small amount so it has a smooth dis-engagement is OK.

But you need to understand how a Glock trigger & safety works when adjusting take up and doing other modifications. It is easy to reduce the amount of take up to a point where neither the drop safety or trigger safety will function. This also applies to Lightning strike trigger assys.

Stupid things like "gluing" or removing the trigger safety as some have suggested is just dumb and I don't want to be on the same range as them. I will also not feel bad to send them home from any match I RO or chronograph at.

JM2C

Edited by blkbrd

For those who think removing the firing pin safety will aid the trigger pull, I've tried it in and out. If you tune the plunger, spring and engagement point you will feel no difference.

i did not remove it to improve trigger pull, its just that i took out all the pre-travel, and it rendered that part useless, so why leave it there if its non-functional, peace ;)

Atmar, you can remove the trigger safety from the trigger, heat up the spring part and bent it out more, and then trim the wide part of the trigger safety on the back off.

then the trigger safety will function with a super short pull.

If I remember later, I'll post a pic of it.

I had a really short light trigger on my open gun, but switched back to a sotelo. IMO, I don't like having such a short light pull, on a cocked firearm, with no physical safety. With the short pull, the striker stays most of the way retracted, so if for some reason the cruciform on the trigger bar slips off the striker, bang. Depending on how short you have it, the FP safety may, or may not stay disengaged. I had to stone the FP safety disengage tab on my trigger bar down a little to keep it from staying disengaged, though when I pressed it that last 1/8th of an inch, it was enough to depress it far enough for the FP.

Edit: Also, if you limit the forward travel of your trigger, the drop safety is disabled. The left wing on the trigger bar isn't held up by the housing any more, so if you drop it, the trigger bar could slip off the mostly cocked striker, and fire. Another reason I went back to the Sotelo kit.

Edited by TimWarner