Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel reaming

Dennis22

I have a CZ P01 and a SP01

With blue 125tc they both plunk at 1.07. That puts the crimp at or just ahead of the shoulder seated deep

Blue recommends 1.125 as an oal

Should I just leave it as is or ream for a longer oal

IMO Id say get it reamed. I wasn't comfortable loading my ammo at 1.06. But if youre okay with your ammo being at 1.07 go for it just make sure it isnt compressed

I reamed all my guns and load to about 1.12 with a RN. But now 1.12 works with every bullet brand or profile I can find. Before I was loading some to 1.140 and some to 1.090, depending on profile. Now, 1.120" works no matter what. It just makes life easy.

I mostly load minor, but not always. Working up an occasional +p load with certain bullets and powders can be sketchy when your OAL is far under any load data. Theres safe workarounds, but reaming takes out guesswork. 

I bought my own finish reamer, and another thing I'm finding is that a lot of barrels are finished like crap, with out of spec burrs and edges, or poor taper angles into the rifling. Can turn an occasionally wonky gun into one that just works like it should. 

Thanks for the comments, but still not sure.

Loading blue bullets 125 tc with3.7-4 g of 244. PF 135-145

I'm a fair shot but let one of the range guys shoot it.  first shot was about one inch high the other 4 were a tight little clover leaf. He said he called the first shot.  7yds off hand.

If the gun is shooting that well, I think I'll leave it for a while

I just need to confirm how the same load shoots in my 1911 loaded target.

One Pivot  did you use a finish chamber reamer or a reamer to increase the throat lead If i do ream it I plan to get my own reamer and use it on all my 9mm pistols

Dennis

8 hours ago, Dennis22 said:

One Pivot  did you use a finish chamber reamer or a reamer to increase the throat lead If i do ream it I plan to get my own reamer and use it on all my 9mm pistols

Dennis

I used a clymer finish reamer, it cuts to about 1.14" on a regular fmj. I believe Manson finish reamers go closer to 1.17. 

Just have to be careful to not cut the chamber any deeper. A regular throat reamer will do any depth you want though. I did want to clean up the chamber while I was in there.

I’ve got a shadow 2 on the way and was curious about finish reaming as well. Have any of you reamed your own CZ barrel specifically?  I’ve read they are harder to ream and tear up reamers.

I have reamed my own Prodigy barrel and that went great.

I too am not a fan of loading that short. I’m usually around 1.125 - 1.13 for everything I own 

If you want to ream or throat nitrided barrels you need a carbide reamer.  They are expensive.  You can rent them.  I'm told you can do it with a tool steel reamer, but it will be dull when finished.  

43 minutes ago, zzt said:

If you want to ream or throat nitrided barrels you need a carbide reamer.  They are expensive.  You can rent them.  I'm told you can do it with a tool steel reamer, but it will be dull when finished.  

I did a CZ S2 with a non-carbide Clymer throater and it worked, but it was tedious and the reamer took a beating.  I had to regrind the pilot to the CZ land diameter so it would even fit, so in toto, one star, would not recommend.

Most SAAMI 9x19 reamers will fix the short throat if you can rent one or find a gunsmith with a carbide reamer and are careful not to enlarge the chamber while you're at it.  You may need a smaller pilot if it's a piloted reamer. 

If you don't have a nearby smith or the inclination to do it for the education of it, you may just want to send it to someone that does CZ barrel reaming as they've got the tooling, setup and know how to do them efficiently.

Here's what I ended up going with.  I tried the Clymer first with tons of cutting oil and barely any downward pressure and my S2 barrel just gnawed away at it.  $60 paperweight...

PT&G took maybe 2-3 months to arrive. $207 out the door. Order it and forget about it, it'll just show up one day.

I have cut three shadow 2s, two Sp01s, one p07, a scorpion evo, and a handful of glocks with it and it's showing some signs of slight dulling, but still cuts decently.

My intended length was RMR heavy matchwinners at >1.14" so i could comfortably load them to ~1.10" and never worry about outliers.  I switched to blue 125TC and can load them as long as the mag will accept, but i settled on 1.125"

I highly recommend PT&G for anyone interested in grabbing their own reamer.  Just be ready for a little wait.

reamer.jpg

Edited by nkresho

On 4/21/2024 at 6:48 PM, OnePivot said:

I used a clymer finish reamer, it cuts to about 1.14" on a regular fmj. I believe Manson finish reamers go closer to 1.17. 

Just have to be careful to not cut the chamber any deeper. A regular throat reamer will do any depth you want though. I did want to clean up the chamber while I was in there.

With a finish reamer how do you keep from going to deep?

1 hour ago, SDlocal said:

If you are just throating, stop when the flutes hit the front chamber wall. Easy to tell when.  If actually chambering, use go and no-go plugs.

6 hours ago, SDlocal said:

I was pretty concerned about this, but the reamer makes a significantly different feel once you're at the end of the chamber. It's very obvious and easy to catch. I didn't even cut into the finish.

29 minutes ago, OnePivot said:

I was pretty concerned about this, but the reamer makes a significantly different feel once you're at the end of the chamber. It's very obvious and easy to catch. I didn't even cut into the finish.

Thank you!  This will be my first attempt. 

6 hours ago, Dennis22 said:

I ordered a Clymer throat reamer

Be here Saturday 

I'll let you know how it goes

Those CZ barrels will chew up a Clymer reamer.

I sent a couple CZ and Canik barrels to Patriot Defense to be reamed.  Had them back a week from when I sent them out and no more issues having to load super short.  Would do business with them again.

14 hours ago, BJB said:

Those CZ barrels will chew up a Clymer reamer.

lots of good cutting oil and use the right feeds and speeds and it'll probably make it... probably.

7 hours ago, shred said:

lots of good cutting oil and use the right feeds and speeds and it'll probably make it... probably.

Lots of people have tried, they just don't cut the new ultra hard barrels. The barrel ends up smashing the reamer instead. Really have to use a carbide reamer. 

Mine won't cut into my xd barrel for that matter. 

28 minutes ago, OnePivot said:

Lots of people have tried, they just don't cut the new ultra hard barrels. The barrel ends up smashing the reamer instead. Really have to use a carbide reamer. 

Mine won't cut into my xd barrel for that matter. 

I used one on a CZ last year.  Worked but took a beating.

2 hours ago, shred said:

I used one on a CZ last year.  Worked but took a beating.

Overall in the long run it’s better to spend the $$ on the carbide one. Would be cool if someone made a diamond coated cone to extend the throats. 

9 hours ago, Farmer said:

Overall in the long run it’s better to spend the $$ on the carbide one. 

Completely agree.  These days I use a spare hundo carbide chamering reamer that cuts a SAAMI leade.