Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Odd Chrono day - would like your insights

CED IR. 60 degrees. Light front wind.

147gr JHP, 1.16, same brass/primer/bullet, 2011 bull KKM and never cleaned barrel.

821, 834, 844, 858, 863, 877, 886.......? Upwards?
My first shot on the chrono for years is always the slowest but this was odd. Wasn't set back. I check that. Doesn't even hit the ramp with a nose anyways.

Here's an even odd'r part:

147gr RN, Blues, 1.17, samsies....
910, 908, 914 - SD of 6?

Any insights would be helpful!

check crimp on the JHP loads,, take a bullet measure OAL then push on it hard on a bench, see if you are getting bullet setback.

I have had that happen at times too. They will climb and then at times the last one is lower. Thought it might be bbl heating up but it doesn’t do it consistently. I DID find that if I use black marker on shiny bullets it doesn’t happen. 

1 hour ago, Runswithwood1 said:

What is the likelyhood that more powder got dropped into the hotter showing loads? I've initially had some issues with my dillion dumping a little more powder than needed

In that case you would have had to load the magazine in the reverse sequence to loading the rounds, ie last round out of the press, first round into the magazine.  I would suspect the chrono before I would suspect the the gun or the press.

Nolan

I'd guess chamber heating that then transfers to the rounds and powder, but just looking at one or two strings or a few shots could just be coincidence.

On 3/23/2024 at 12:43 PM, Norone said:

CED IR. 60 degrees. Light front wind.

147gr JHP, 1.16, same brass/primer/bullet, 2011 bull KKM and never cleaned barrel.

821, 834, 844, 858, 863, 877, 886.......? Upwards?
My first shot on the chrono for years is always the slowest but this was odd. Wasn't set back. I check that. Doesn't even hit the ramp with a nose anyways.

Here's an even odd'r part:

147gr RN, Blues, 1.17, samsies....
910, 908, 914 - SD of 6?

Any insights would be helpful!

Are you wondering why the Blue bullets show more velocity with the same charge than the jacketed?

1 hour ago, Dr. Phil said:

Are you wondering why the Blue bullets show more velocity with the same charge than the jacketed?

No he’s wondering why the vel climbs with the jacketed. Like I said once I started taking a black sharpie to the shiny bullets I had less problems and better readings, especially with lower sun levels. 

Edited by Farmer

I thought so too at first but the part he seemed to think was more strange the velocities didn't do that.

Probably is time for yhe marker. Good reason to use coated bullets.

1 hour ago, Dr. Phil said:

I thought so too at first but the part he seemed to think was more strange the velocities didn't do that.

Probably is time for yhe marker. Good reason to use coated bullets.

Good reason to pick up one of the used LabRadar's being sold relatively cheap in the classified section as people buy the new hotness or buy the Garmin.  My LabRadar has worked well for me and it doesn't care what type of bullets I'm using, or the orientation of the sun, wind, or phase of the moon.

Nolan

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2024 at 8:35 PM, Nolan said:

Good reason to pick up one of the used LabRadar's being sold relatively cheap in the classified section as people buy the new hotness or buy the Garmin.  My LabRadar has worked well for me and it doesn't care what type of bullets I'm using, or the orientation of the sun, wind, or phase of the moon.

Nolan

^^^^X2 ^^^^

UPDATE-

There was some, a little, not much at all, set back on the FMJ. Not the Blues.
Also, I have never cleaned the barrel.
My CED always has first round low fps.
So I looked further and boom there it was- the brass wasn't all the same as the vendor I bought from said it was. 

So everything y'all said was a contribution.
Gonna get a LAB or Garmin soon too.

Hey FARMER- Black magic marker? You mean the crimp station?

Thank you all.

On 4/3/2024 at 3:07 PM, Norone said:

So I looked further and boom there it was- the brass wasn't all the same as the vendor I bought from said it was. 

I have never sorted the range brass I use, or heard of someone having significant variance in velocity due to using mixed brass in a 9mm 130 ish power factor load. You may have the answer but it seems a bit fishy. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

2 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

I have never sorted the range brass I use, or heard of someone having significant variance in velocity due to using mixed brass in a 9mm 130 ish power factor load. You may have the answer but it seems a bit fishy. 

yeh I call BS on that one.. Even if it was true the velocities would vary randomly not climb...   Your sizer is worn out/ too big, or need a crimp adjustment.. You are getting bullet setback with the jacketed load.