Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New: Sig Sauer 1911-XSERIES

8 minutes ago, BadShot said:

BattleHawk Armory has them for $1340.  Nice gun, not sure what the market is for this.

I saw the video last night. I really dont know why they did this. Maybe appease people who wants a 1911 with a red dot?

1 hour ago, ddc said:

Apparently they like the P320 X5 slide profile.

First the P226 X5 and now this.

Probably got a trademark on it...

6 hours ago, shred said:

That's nice, now make a 2011 with a larger dot footprint :D

What @Shred said. The 2011 platform is booming and Sig comes out with a 1911?

Probably easy to ramp up on their 1911 tooling and fixturing, since they’ve made 1911s for a long time.  Few more milling paths on the slide, same gun otherwise.  Minimal effort to put out another gun to market and sell.

44 minutes ago, shred said:

Nobody else remembers the Sig 1911s?  They were a thing 10-15 years ago.

I remember although I never handled one. Weren't they a bit problematic? Also had an external extractor I think?

1 hour ago, ddc said:

I remember although I never handled one. Weren't they a bit problematic? Also had an external extractor I think?

They did have an external extractor, and on those the slide was a different enough shape that standard 1911 kydex holsters didn't always work. 

I thought about buying one but saw enough iffy stuff about them that I decided to skip it

Definitely an odd decision on Sig’s part to release an OR 1911. I keep hoping  daydreaming that they’ll do an optic ready double stack P210 target at some point… if you’re going to do something weird, might as well go all the way.

41 minutes ago, akarhi said:

Maybe they're gonna do a 2011 version of it and not the expensive version of it.

Given Springfields success with the Prodigy and the other recent entries into the 2011 space I'm a little surprised that Sig hasn't jumped in yet.

1 hour ago, ddc said:

Given Springfields success with the Prodigy and the other recent entries into the 2011 space I'm a little surprised that Sig hasn't jumped in yet.

They had a bad start but eventually they got through with some minor changes to address the issue

I bought a Sig 1911 45 ACP back in 2014 when they had a promotion to buy their 1911 and get a 2nd 22 caliber 1911 free.

Both worked well.  I just remember that the Sig Nitron 1911 didn't fit any of my 1911 holsters so I had to spend $70 for a new Comp-Tac holster.  I think I sold them a couple of years later when I bought a 9mm 1911.

sig2.JPG

They were one of the last companies making .40 cal 1911s as stock items.   Many of them were Series 80 and they used the extended-pin ambi-safety retention, which is a bit less common.  Slide profiles were all over the map depending on the model.

Phil Strader shot one to 4th in the 2014 World Shoot IIRC.

The main downside to making a 2011 version is the bean-counters dislike writing off a bunch of specialized single stack frame tooling....