Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New: Sig Sauer 1911-XSERIES

I still do.  A Sig 1911 Tacops in 45.  Made in Germany.  First rate.  I did have to replace the MIM hammer and the sear after 40,000 rounds.  Otherwise, original.  BTW, the 40,000 were 45 rounds.  I also used the receiver for my bullseye 22 conversion and my CWA 22 competition conversion.   So it would be fairer to say I had to replace the MIM hammer after 65,000 assorted rounds.  Not bad for a MIM part.                                                                

They had an absolute ton of 1911 models for many years, I think almost 30 models.  In retrospect it was weird, all of them with the Sig profile slide, but variety is the spice of life and variety brings in the most revenue.  My first Single Stack gun was a Sig Match Elite in .40S&W.  Had to put in a raised mag catch to get non-Sig mags to feed, but otherwise it was fantastic.  

• 3 weeks later...

This isn't likely aimed at the Brain Enos crowd since it doesn't really fit into any of the USPSA or IDPA divisions.  I guess it could be used in CDP as long as it makes weight or L-10 if people still shoot that.  

Is there a chance this was spec'ed out for some law enforcement contract submission?  1911s still seem to be fairly popular with cops in California.  Maybe some agency's SWAT team was interested in buying some optic ready 45s for team use and this was SIG's answer.  

I do agree that SIG is missing the boat here by not offering essentially this same gun in 9mm and/or as a hicap.

12 hours ago, Tokarev said:

I do agree that SIG is missing the boat here by not offering essentially this same gun in 9mm and/or as a hicap.

Believe it or not 45 outsells everything (in single stack) by a pretty good margin.  If anything I would bet they are going to release 45 first...and see how it sells then consider adding 9mm down the road.  

Honestly I'm shocked by the lack of optic options for 1911's, there is a giant hole there - sure you can get them if you special order from the higher end semi-custom makers (Wilson, Nighthawk, etc). Dan Wesson has one model, but their quality has come down very recently.  Kimber has a couple...but uhhh..Kimber.  Then I think there are a couple of options at the very bottom of the market.  So maybe Sig thinks this is something that will be popular, you can't really sell any other model of firearm these days without an optics mount on it...but somewhere 1911's get ignored.  

35 minutes ago, DrewM said:

Believe it or not 45 outsells everything (in single stack) by a pretty good margin.  If anything I would bet they are going to release 45 first...and see how it sells then consider adding 9mm down the road.  

Honestly I'm shocked by the lack of optic options for 1911's, there is a giant hole there - sure you can get them if you special order from the higher end semi-custom makers (Wilson, Nighthawk, etc). Dan Wesson has one model, but their quality has come down very recently.  Kimber has a couple...but uhhh..Kimber.  Then I think there are a couple of options at the very bottom of the market.  So maybe Sig thinks this is something that will be popular, you can't really sell any other model of firearm these days without an optics mount on it...but somewhere 1911's get ignored.  

Yes I'm sure 45 and 1911 are still essentially synonymous with each other. I didn't mean to imply that SIG should ignore 45 but rather they should make the 1911-X in 9mm as well. 

SIG is supposed to have a 4.25" version of this new gun coming to market soon. I assume it will be steel frame. I think a lightweight Commander length gun with an optic cut and a flashlight rail might make a nice general carry gun. 

You're right that optics ready single stacks are kind of a rare bird. Frankly I'm shocked Springfield didn't add the Prodigy optic plate system into the 2024 TRP update. 

13 minutes ago, Tokarev said:

Yes I'm sure 45 and 1911 are still essentially synonymous with each other. I didn't mean to imply that SIG should ignore 45 but rather they should make the 1911-X in 9mm as well. 

SIG is supposed to have a 4.25" version of this new gun coming to market soon. I assume it will be steel frame. I think a lightweight Commander length gun with an optic cut and a flashlight rail might make a nice general carry gun. 

You're right that optics ready single stacks are kind of a rare bird. Frankly I'm shocked Springfield didn't add the Prodigy optic plate system into the 2024 TRP update. 

I think they probably will/would offer a 9mm option, providing that this model sells well - so here's hoping it doesn't have any design issues.

One thing I do chuckle about, and lots of gunmakers will almost outright say it, but there is a HUGE chunk of people who say they want to buy XYZ....but then when XYZ comes out, nobody buys it - so when you see a lot of 'conservative' type designs, that is why.  

And you and me (and basically everybody) was shocked there were no optics options on the TRP, granted the AOS may not work well on a 45 (I never really measured any of that), but they also have the setup that was developed for the Echelon - which IMHO is an even better setup - no plates so the optic sits that much lower and is still secure.  

37 minutes ago, DrewM said:

One thing I do chuckle about, and lots of gunmakers will almost outright say it, but there is a HUGE chunk of people who say they want to buy XYZ....but then when XYZ comes out, nobody buys it - so when you see a lot of 'conservative' type designs, that is why.  

Sub compact tiny 45 Autos fall into this category.  "Yeah that would be cool!  I'd love to see an ultra tiny 45 Auto!"  This is followed by, "Hey this thing kicks like a mule!" 

With all that said, adding an optic cut and/or rail to the legacy 1911 is a pretty conservative step.  This was radical or blasphemous ten or fifteen years ago but I think the market is ready now.  

SIG's "GSR" from 15 years ago stood for "Granite Series Rail" IIRC.  They're not-new to breaking from tradition if they want to.

But, just like 45 is by far the most common 1911 caliber, by far most of the pistols in the case at the gun store just have iron sights too. 

I'd bet a 10mm is on the roadmap.  Seems like it's the trendy single stack now.

On 3/28/2024 at 12:16 PM, Tokarev said:

Sub compact tiny 45 Autos fall into this category.  "Yeah that would be cool!  I'd love to see an ultra tiny 45 Auto!"  This is followed by, "Hey this thing kicks like a mule!" 

With all that said, adding an optic cut and/or rail to the legacy 1911 is a pretty conservative step.  This was radical or blasphemous ten or fifteen years ago but I think the market is ready now.  

Ha, this was me.  Found a lightly used Bul 3.25" single stack 45 on an alloy frame - made it reliable'ish, worked it over everywhere else, made it 'comfortable' to shoot (had some hotspots)...it's the textbook definition of great carry gun, so small and easy to carry, but it kicks like a pissed off mule.  But while you can't run more than 50 rounds through it without taking a Motrin, it's dead nuts accurate...I don't see a huge difference in it and a commander sized until I get out 20 yards...and I can't say that about any sub-compact 'full' caliber gun.  

On 3/28/2024 at 9:34 AM, DrewM said:

What makes you say Dan Wesson quality has come down very recently? 

I bought a brand new DW PM9 five years ago.  Worst gun purchase of my life by a long shot.  Not sure what their quality is like now, but since they are so rarely seen in the wild relative to almost any other brand, I would venture to say that they stink it up quite often.

I bought a PM9 about a year and a half ago and it is an excellent firearm.  High quality parts, excellent slide/frame fit, good trigger, and barrel lock up. It is extremely accurate.  I am thinking of picking up another because it was so good.  Funny how we can all get different experiences from the same product.  What was wrong with yours?

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread...

Edited by BadShot

9 hours ago, BadShot said:

A couple of folks I know have had so-so experiences with them very recently, and then they've made some stranger design decisions - keep in mind that this is all coming from a brand that was very recently one of the best around - Dan Wesson was always the go-to 1911 before you made a pretty big step up to the Wilson/Nighthawk levels.  

And then some other folks I know who have some 'inside industry' kind of knowledge have said some things about the 'partnership' with Colt hasn't been all good, etc.  Who knows, could all be BS....or maybe they're struggling but for not any of the conspiracy type reasons, etc (a lot of gun makers were doing very well during the pandemic, now the bubble popped - so who made good plans for when the bubble died, etc).  

I was playing around a little with options on the Caspian website.  A checkered Recon Rail frame and a slide cut for the RMR Trijicon adapter plate with front and rear cocking serrations is pretty close in price to this complete pistol from SIG.  

On 3/31/2024 at 8:45 AM, BadShot said:

Ive got two. My lw commander 9mm would not extract because the chamber was cut two deep

Hilton Yam has his hands on the new SIG. He hasn't had time to really get into the gun yet. His initial comment is that the trigger on his sample is "the worst trigger that I've felt on a 1911 in a very long time."