Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 Special First Time Load Development for Knockdown Steel - Help Requested

Haywizzle

1 hour ago, Haywizzle said:

Thanks fellas, we will try tapering into the ogive. Do you have a measurement for the crimp diameter? I'm just curious how aggressive you get. I'm used to just setting the crimp to remove the bell, in this case that value would be 0.379 I believe.

In 38 short colt i use a maximum taper crimp of .370 on coated bullets without going over the ogive.  Usually I crimp at

368 with no tumbling and no accuracy issues.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Farmer said:

@HaywizzleThank you and your GF for the pictures, now the gears are turning. (Can you smell the smoke?)🤣

@Dr. PhilYes 😁 I thought a dropping plate would work well for the stop plate in SS. 

Droppers are cool. The reset takes awhile if very many. PSA has a whole stage (30ish) with some really quick times! A guy in our squad in 2011 I believe, did it in 11 odd seconds with a stock auto! 10 rounds per mag! Yeesh.

For a stop plate when we do man-on-man (a personal fave!) I made a double popper, turned in just a bit. The bottom popper wins!

11 minutes ago, Dr. Phil said:

Droppers are cool. The reset takes awhile if very many. PSA has a whole stage (30ish) with some really quick times! A guy in our squad in 2011 I believe, did it in 11 odd seconds with a stock auto! 10 rounds per mag! Yeesh.

For a stop plate when we do man-on-man (a personal fave!) I made a double popper, turned in just a bit. The bottom popper wins!

There is a one on one shootout?

25 minutes ago, MikeyScuba said:

There is a one on one shootout?

Not there. I did them at my range on the fun shoot nights. I had a bunch of newer or not experienced shooters who came 1 night a week. I set up really simple stages and everybody shot through a few times. They learned a little about competition and a lot about how good they were - or not. Also found out a lot about their guns. A few went on to get way better and compete.

I have seen some hinge plates go down so hard that they pop back up! 

Edited by Dr. Phil

1 hour ago, pskys2 said:

In 38 short colt i use a maximum taper crimp of .370 on coated bullets without going over the ogive.  Usually I crimp at

368 with no tumbling and no accuracy issues.

Thanks pskys2! That is a very significant crimp, we appreciate the data. She is considering getting her Ruger cut for moon clips eventually by TK. We might mess around with 38 short Colt once we have the clips all setup. We don't want to chase brass while using speed loaders at this point.

I have noticed the last few years that they are in such a hurry that they don't leave much time for picking up the brass. Main reason I like the moon clips! The RO do try hard to not step on the moons though.

1 hour ago, Dr. Phil said:

I have noticed the last few years that they are in such a hurry that they don't leave much time for picking up the brass. Main reason I like the moon clips! The RO do try hard to not step on the moons though.

Yeah the RO's definitely want to keep everybody shooting. 2013 was the first year I did PSA and I remember one or two people picking brass from the tarps and offering it to the shooter after every run. I haven't really seen that the last few years.  You really only need 4-5 guys resetting the steel in a squad of up to 17 shooters, which doesn't include the ROs, so that leaves a bunch of people not doing much if they that aren't on deck or reloading.

My GF was thinking of bringing a 16x8 Tupperware container to put on the table while shooting to try to dump all her brass into. Lol 😄

45 minutes ago, Haywizzle said:

Yeah the RO's definitely want to keep everybody shooting. 2013 was the first year I did PSA and I remember one or two people picking brass from the tarps and offering it to the shooter after every run. I haven't really seen that the last few years.  You really only need 4-5 guys resetting the steel in a squad of up to 17 shooters, which doesn't include the ROs, so that leaves a bunch of people not doing much if they that aren't on deck or reloading.

My GF was thinking of bringing a 16x8 Tupperware container to put on the table while shooting to try to dump all her brass into. Lol 😄

Tell her to put a “Donations” sign on it. Never know. 🤣

As a related question.  Is there another name for this venue?  I looked on Practiscore and it seems the only matches are in Canada or the South and North Eastern USA.  They look really fun and I wouldn't mind doing some. 

GG

This is at Palmyra Sportsman's Association in eastern Pennsylvania. The match is called the PSA Shootout. Last weekend of April.

BTW the email I got the other day suggests that registration is still open. Usually no slots left this late.

10 hours ago, Haywizzle said:

You can still pick brass if you hurry LOL. Maybe get a couple friendlies on the squad to quick pick when she's done? If we happen to get the same squad my wife will help!

If you have or get all Starline brass, the same moonclips will fit all the different sizes from 38 Short Colt through 357 Magnum. Other brands of brass need different sized moonclips.

13 hours ago, Haywizzle said:

Thanks pskys2! That is a very significant crimp, we appreciate the data. She is considering getting her Ruger cut for moon clips eventually by TK. We might mess around with 38 short Colt once we have the clips all setup. We don't want to chase brass while using speed loaders at this point.

The guns is not cut for moon clips yet. She will be cylinder dumping loose cases. Might as well use 38 Special. Will be cheaper that SC.

While I didn't shoot my open 2011 at the PSA last year at the Blue Ridge/Mountain shoots I was able to get most of our supercomp back.  The RO's don't mind and a few actively helped find brass.  38 short colt might be a bit harder as it looks like 9mm but its going to be directly underneath not 5' to 15'  to the right.  Supercomp flies!

I've never found resetting anywhere to be an issue with small squads and shooting 2 guns per squad  As for the PSA I'm betting you can still get Thursday, Friday and for SURE Sunday squads.  I'm wondering if I can bug Jeff to shoot 2 guns on 1 squad Sunday afternoon.....

https://psashootout.com/index.shtml

Yeah, they have been down a little on shooters since Covid. Last year I think I read 500 something rather than the high 6oos some years back.

The registration used to fill up in less than a week. Now they have open slots as did last couple years.

I love my moons. Usually find them by my feet and sometimes 1 in front of the table.

The plastic tub is probably good, although I would be afraid of my reloads slowing down just thinking about it!

Wish we could have Jeff make a whole squad of revo shooters! Fun times!

you mentioned reloads,, I am assuming on the clock. You may not even want to bother with 38 special cases. 38 short colt brass is readily available from Starline. 
I load to 125pf for Icore. with 147 gr bullets over AA2.. Dont recall a steel issue.

4 hours ago, gargoil66 said:

As a related question.  Is there another name for this venue?  I looked on Practiscore and it seems the only matches are in Canada or the South and North Eastern USA.  They look really fun and I wouldn't mind doing some. 

GG

GG, they don't do practiscore. They still require paper entry forms mailed in with checks. Me and 4 people sent one packet to make sure we all get squadded together and when we want to shoot each session. Jeff L is amazing at running it though. He sends email confirmations after receiving registration. His team is also very quick at the match to add up the scores and leader boards. You can check the print out leader boards shortly after each session. As MikeyScuba wrote their website is https://psashootout.com/index.shtml

14 hours ago, Farmer said:

Tell her to put a “Donations” sign on it. Never know. 🤣

She laughed at the idea!

56 minutes ago, Dr. Phil said:

Yeah, they have been down a little on shooters since Covid. Last year I think I read 500 something rather than the high 6oos some years back.

The registration used to fill up in less than a week. Now they have open slots as did last couple years.

I love my moons. Usually find them by my feet and sometimes 1 in front of the table.

The plastic tub is probably good, although I would be afraid of my reloads slowing down just thinking about it!

Wish we could have Jeff make a whole squad of revo shooters! Fun times!

I think the ammo shortage caused people to think about burning 200+ rounds of center fire for each session. Hopefully with 9mm available and the prices not as crazy we will see more shooters willing to have fun. I believe during the 2020 fall Covid delayed match or 2021, at the shooters meeting they were announcing cases of 9mm for sale at $600 or $700. 

Concerning the tub, I expressed the same idea of not to worry about brass since we have a crap load of 38 special. She will be loading off the table, so the tupperware might get in her way. We will see what happens!

Edited by Haywizzle

Well, yeah but, consider this. Fill that tub with cookies or brownies (not hash!) and say help yourselves! Oh, could you help me find my brass???? My poor tub is empty...

With, of course, that helpless lost look we all get every flat tire!

I know I would help!

To check your crimp, measure the rounds pror to firing shoot all but one then measure it for creep. No creep then the crimp is good. 🙂

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Update time! We finally were able to get to the range to test the ladder loads with 147gr and 160gr blue bullet round nose projectiles. We decided on the 160gr with 4.8grs of CFE-pistol for a somewhat spicy 138.6PF.  It grouped the best of the 7 test loads with 4 of the 6 shots in the same hole at 18 yards, and it also had the best standard deviation. OAL was ~ 1.4775" and we used my 9mm Lee FCD just over the ogive. We pulled a couple bullets that were seated and I think they look ok and as I believe we didn't over crimp. Thanks for everyone's help!

Here are some pictures:

20240324_170512.thumb.jpg.0023f13383a131e34f8cf8a929fb8594.jpg

20240304_1759102.jpg.f50bf8cc518e2de6f9601e044887c332.jpg

20240304_1759432.jpg.e3774132b396dc08d2c35305d2d0fb1c.jpg

Screenshot_20240323_143516_ShotView.thumb.jpg.d44fefc3bddf2693ede7a94f7702909e.jpg

Edited by Haywizzle