Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig Romeo 3 Max vs C-MORE Slide Ride

So I’m about to pull the trigger on my first open style pistol. It is used and comes with the SIG Romeo 3 Max 6 moa. I was originally planning on getting the Aluminum body 8 moa C-MORE Slide Ride for steel challenge and eventually other competitions. Does anyone have experience with both dots?  What are the pro’s & cons on each and which would you prefer for competition?

I started with a C-more slideride on my used open gun, switched to an RTS2, then Holosun, and now a Romeo 3 Max for the last couple seasons. The Max3 and C-more, in my humble opinion, have very similar clarity and dot brightness. 

The width of the Max 3 is 30mm, while the slide ride is 29mm. The c-more aluminum slide ride is 4.5 oz while the Max 3 is 1.5 oz. The slideride stated battery life is 300-1500 hours, when the Max 3 is 25000 hours. The max also uses a much more common battery now. I know it's not an issue on a properly tuned gun, but the slideride mount is usually over the ejection port area, and if you're extractor isn't 100%, brass can deflect or bounce off the mount and give you stovepipe issues. The Max 3 mount would be in front of the ejection area. That is one of the reasons I ditched the slideride for a smaller optic.

I think this comes down to if you're happy with a 6 MOA dot on the Max. The C-more let's you change diodes and has many more options available. 

I have both, I took my old slide rides and put them on my PCC’s

the Romero 3max is on the open gun.  The old slide rides were great 30 years ago when they came out, but they have lousy battery life and are bulky for a handgun optic.

the Romero 3max has a big window, bright dot and long battery life, plus because they are smaller you no longer have to tune the extractor and ejector to eject the brass sideways to clear the optic

I just thought of another option if a larger MOA dot is a requirement. Forum sponsor @FTP_Shooting_Sports has a micro dot with 8, 10, 12 MOA options. It would fit the mount you already have as it is the same as a Romeo3. You could probably sell the Romeo for the cost of the FTP Alpha 3. I'm not sure if there is still a active coupon code.

https://fasttoys.net/shop/FTP-Optics-Alpha-3-Red-Dot-Reflex-Sight-V3-Short-Body/

On 2/24/2024 at 6:41 PM, Haywizzle said:

I just thought of another option if a larger MOA dot is a requirement. Forum sponsor @FTP_Shooting_Sports has a micro dot with 8, 10, 12 MOA options. It would fit the mount you already have as it is the same as a Romeo3. You could probably sell the Romeo for the cost of the FTP Alpha 3. I'm not sure if there is still a active coupon code.

https://fasttoys.net/shop/FTP-Optics-Alpha-3-Red-Dot-Reflex-Sight-V3-Short-Body/

Yes there is. The coupon code for BE members is BESB

Right now, we have 6, 8 and 10 MOA in stock. We would highly recommend the 8 or 10 MOA dot for pistol competition like USPSA, IPSC or steel challenge. The larger dots are easier to track, don't wash out in bright sunlight and nice and crisp.  They will fit any RTS-2 mount or Romeo 3 XL mount. 

we have a few of each. slideride (ours are all plastic body) are cheap and reliable with a crisp round dot. we use them on 22s and pcc for steel. because cheap it is not a problem to have them on 5 different guns.

romeo 3 is slightly brighter, almost as crisp, sits lower and is a better choice on an open gun. i would also consider sro and holosun 507 comp. the holosun is my new favorite. wife prefers the sig.

On 3/3/2024 at 6:13 PM, motosapiens said:

we have a few of each. slideride (ours are all plastic body) are cheap and reliable with a crisp round dot. we use them on 22s and pcc for steel. because cheap it is not a problem to have them on 5 different guns.

romeo 3 is slightly brighter, almost as crisp, sits lower and is a better choice on an open gun. i would also consider sro and holosun 507 comp. the holosun is my new favorite. wife prefers the sig.

On 2/26/2024 at 7:04 PM, FTP_Shooting_Sports said:

Yes there is. The coupon code for BE members is BESB

Right now, we have 6, 8 and 10 MOA in stock. We would highly recommend the 8 or 10 MOA dot for pistol competition like USPSA, IPSC or steel challenge. The larger dots are easier to track, don't wash out in bright sunlight and nice and crisp.  They will fit any RTS-2 mount or Romeo 3 XL mount. 

Checking them out now. Thanks 

On 2/27/2024 at 3:35 PM, TONY BARONE said:

In my opinion shooters ditched the Slide ride mostly because of ejection issues. True the micros are lighter and closer to the bore but the slide ride has the best big round window. 

Yeah the ejection issues are my main concern & then height over bore. Thinking the higher optic isn’t that big of a deal for competitions as the target  distances are close enough to not have to worry of hold overs and POI relative to POA. Main issue with the Romeo 3 Max would be the distracting blue tint

On 2/24/2024 at 4:24 PM, Haywizzle said:

I started with a C-more slideride on my used open gun, switched to an RTS2, then Holosun, and now a Romeo 3 Max for the last couple seasons. The Max3 and C-more, in my humble opinion, have very similar clarity and dot brightness. 

The width of the Max 3 is 30mm, while the slide ride is 29mm. The c-more aluminum slide ride is 4.5 oz while the Max 3 is 1.5 oz. The slideride stated battery life is 300-1500 hours, when the Max 3 is 25000 hours. The max also uses a much more common battery now. I know it's not an issue on a properly tuned gun, but the slideride mount is usually over the ejection port area, and if you're extractor isn't 100%, brass can deflect or bounce off the mount and give you stovepipe issues. The Max 3 mount would be in front of the ejection area. That is one of the reasons I ditched the slideride for a smaller optic.

I think this comes down to if you're happy with a 6 MOA dot on the Max. The C-more let's you change diodes and has many more options available. 

Thanks for all the great information. I’m going to run & compare them side by side and see what I time better with.  This will be my first year shooting competitively so I don’t really have any preferences yet

I switched from a C-More to a Romeo3 XL. I was tired of the C-More height over bore and the small window. The XL is significantly larger than the C-More, smaller, and mounts lower. Objectively the only thing the C-More does better is the ability to swap emitters. 

I have C-more slide rides on my open guns and like them. Something I do not see mentioned is you can get a 90degree mount for the C-more lowering height over bore significantly and fixes the ejection issue.

What caliber?  Short dots and sideways scope mounts are what made 9mm Open guns really viable by not blocking the ejection area.  If you don't like the sideways mount, that leaves short dots.

2 hours ago, shred said:

What caliber?  Short dots and sideways scope mounts are what made 9mm Open guns really viable by not blocking the ejection area.  If you don't like the sideways mount, that leaves short dots.

This.... I ran an open gun in 9 major with an upright cmore for many years.    It could be made to work with careful tuning of ejector and extractor particularly with careful selection of brass headstamp.  However when useful window sized mini red dots became available there was no reason to put a full sized cmore on a open pistol anymore.

I used the romeo3 max for several years and liked it other than having to send a couple of them back to sig for issues for the buttons stopping working or then blinking out under recoil after awhile. I have moved to the FTP alpha and the Holosun 507 comp as my current dots.