Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Prodigy, this generation's STI Edge

I remember when i first started USPSA  over ten years ago i started with a glock 35 in Limited major.

Lusted over all the the cool race guns like a Dawson tuned STI Edge.

The Edge was a great base gun to build a limited major race gun.  STI quality fell off and they rebranded to Staccato and dropped the Edge.

Along came Springfield and a cheaper 2011 pistol.  Price was right amd i snatch one up as a base to build up.  Barrel accuracy out of the box is great.  Replaced the grip,added svi ignition kit, atlas safety and tool-less guide rod, red dirt trigger and nitro fin.  New cerakote and TiN small parts

Not sure how the Turkish 2011s are as a base to build but i think the Prodigy is an awesome entry level 2011 and a good base to build off of.  Something the STI Edge was back in the day

AjlooT.jpg71oTAz.jpg

I also liked this gun. And I know it's made of good metal. and is an excellent basis for improvements.
Regarding Turkish products, I personally would not touch them. I remember Toyota cars, which were assembled in Turkey and would fall apart on the road within a year.🤣

Springfield's always had decent barrels, but I worry about shoooters dropping $1,200 on a prodigy and an additional $2,000 on upgrades. In the Edge days (when I started as well) it was a trigger job (on stock, tool steel components) away from being match-ready. 

5 minutes ago, TheSandMan491 said:

Springfield's always had decent barrels, but I worry about shoooters dropping $1,200 on a prodigy and an additional $2,000 on upgrades. In the Edge days (when I started as well) it was a trigger job (on stock, tool steel components) away from being match-ready. 

I think you can get away with dropping in an ignition kit and tune and have a good shooting pistol 

That color scheme came out great! 

As far as the upgrades go… I think I’m going to run mine mostly as-is (replaced mag catch button with one tapped for a button extension), maybe add a magwell, for the time being and see how it goes.

May also give a shot at very lightly polishing/sanding/deburring stock parts (no power tools, just high 1000+ grit sandpaper and 0000 steel wool to smooth things out)… though, even 250 rounds in it already feels smoother, and trigger feels better than it did out of the box…

13 hours ago, TheSandMan491 said:

If you drop an extra $2k you end up with a fully hand fit custom gun.  I don't think it is necessary.  SA uses good MIM internals in their guns.  There are a boatload of SA 1911s at the club.  I tell them to put 500 rounds through the gun so the trigger pull smooths out.   Don't bother replacing anything (except ILS back in the day) until stuff wears out.  You'll get at least 20k rounds through before you have to address anything.

One shooter just polished the sear, hammer hooks and disco, then adjusted the sear spring.  Smooth 2 lb. pull.

If you want to upgrade the ignition kit to EGW, it is simple.  Or, just buy the gun and base package from Briley.  For around $1550 they go over the gun, install EGW ignition parts and refit the thumb safety.  You get a gun that runs 100%.

I'm probably going to buy a Prodigy just to tinker with.  I want to see if a Cheely e2 grip fits without mods.   I can pull from the parts bins and swap stuff out to see if there is any meaningful improvement.  After I'm done tinkering, I'll probably put it back to stock and sell it.

6 minutes ago, zzt said:

If you drop an extra $2k you end up with a fully hand fit custom gun.  I don't think it is necessary.  SA uses good MIM internals in their guns.  There are a boatload of SA 1911s at the club.  I tell them to put 500 rounds through the gun so the trigger pull smooths out.   Don't bother replacing anything (except ILS back in the day) until stuff wears out.  You'll get at least 20k rounds through before you have to address anything.

One shooter just polished the sear, hammer hooks and disco, then adjusted the sear spring.  Smooth 2 lb. pull.

If you want to upgrade the ignition kit to EGW, it is simple.  Or, just buy the gun and base package from Briley.  For around $1550 they go over the gun, install EGW ignition parts and refit the thumb safety.  You get a gun that runs 100%.

I'm probably going to buy a Prodigy just to tinker with.  I want to see if a Cheely e2 grip fits without mods.   I can pull from the parts bins and swap stuff out to see if there is any meaningful improvement.  After I'm done tinkering, I'll probably put it back to stock and sell it.

The Cheely should fit without major mods.  My LSI Outlaw grip was spec'ed to my SVI Infinity frame and i had to do some minor filing to fit

Just curious if you have checked out the Stealth Arms Platypus? A double stack 9mm 1911that uses $25 Glock mags. I’ve had 2 custom STI 2011s and my Platty is very close to their quality at a fraction of the cost. I’ve already ordered a second one. 

IMG_2655.jpeg

1 hour ago, dapribek said:

Just curious if you have checked out the Stealth Arms Platypus? A double stack 9mm 1911that uses $25 Glock mags. I’ve had 2 custom STI 2011s and my Platty is very close to their quality at a fraction of the cost. I’ve already ordered a second one. 

IMG_2655.jpeg

I looked at those.   If one was heavily invested in glocks with a bunch of glocks mag, the Platypus is worth a look at.  I have a whole bunch of 2011 mags and glocks mags.  Only thing that kept me from it is the aluminum grip and lack of provision for a thumb rest.

If I'm going with a metal grip I'd rather it be steel.  I'll take a poly grip over aluminum.  

Plus is anyone using just stock mags or magpul 21 rd mags?

If not a oem 17 rd mag, spring and follower, and extension is not really any cheaper than atlas 140mm mags

Edited by sandflea316

1 hour ago, dapribek said:

IMG_2655.jpeg

The $25 Glock mags kind of lost their allure when you can get $40 prodigy  mags and basically standard 2011 components. That's not to say the platypus is not a good gun but, I think most people would rather have a steel frame and standard 2011 bits

Agreed, this is a good thread topic.  The Prodigy groups on FB have been extremely active since this gun was released, and sales are much stronger than anyone imagined.  I bought one the day after they were released in 2022 as it happened to coincide with my birthday, and all the 5” guns produced were already sold out worldwide, so I bought a 4.25”.  Thought it was a cool gun, didn’t really have anything to do with it, so put it in the safe, and 8 months later Limited Optics became a thing and now I shoot it all the time.  I’d had a ton of race parts on hand from years of shooting Limited, so it cost me nothing to fill it up with premium parts and a gen 1 STI grip module and magwell.

I think the Prodigy is turning the 1911 (via 2011) back into America’s gun.  People are learning how they operate and how to work on them again.  It’s wonderful.

Also let me point out that there are cheaper options(i.e. the Turkish guns) available i don't think any of them have a plate system as good as the Springfield AOS.  

That alone is worth the extra cost.

13 hours ago, Dr Mitch said:

I think the Prodigy is turning the 1911 (via 2011) back into America’s gun.  People are learning how they operate and how to work on them again.  It’s wonderful.

In my case that is so true.

I've had a couple 1911s over the years but never spent any time really learning the system getting down into the nuts and bolts.

Now that I've moved from a P320 CO to a 2011 LO I'm taking the time and it's been rewarding and just plain fun.

I'm glad I made the switch.

On 2/27/2024 at 6:57 AM, Dr Mitch said:

Agree!  And plenty of younger generation gunsmiths getting bench time with these guns, keeping the knowledge base healthy.