Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any new primer collaters? 2024

I saw that DAA is coming out with their version of the dillon primer tube loader and was wondering if anyone knows of any other new ones? Been on the fence about getting the daa primer pro lately. Does anyone know of any other primer tube loading mechanisms that are out there that are worth checking out? Currently using a Frankford Arsenal vibra prime. It's nice when it has the primers it likes. 

Thanks in advance!

WARNING, THIS POST WILL CREATE A $HIT STORM.

The FA Vibra Prime can be frustrating, but after modifying the adapter to allow me to fill the Dillon tubes, avoiding the supplied tubes, I find it an acceptable and affordable solution. It takes about 30~ seconds to load a tube. If a primer gets stuck in the feeding hole, and they will, I just quickly slide out the Dillon tube, grab the plastic Dillon primer rod follower and poke the stuck primer back into the "primer pen". This can occur 1-3 times per 100 but I'm still able to load 10 tubes in about 6~ minutes and that's plenty fast for me.

Edited by 4n2t0

16 minutes ago, darthdively said:

I think that attracts me to the auto filling ones is that I can have those get filled while I'm loading. Keeping my momentum when loading lol.

That's a good point. I guess volume would also be a deciding factor. I never load more than about 2K in any given session, so the occasional break's good with me. Grab a coffee, change the radio station, load another set of tubes and off I go again, lol.

27 minutes ago, rishii said:

Another happy vibra prime user, I also modified it to take the Dillon primer tubes and my experience mirrors 4n2t0.

how did you modify your primer tubes? I was thinking about 3d printing a vibraprime receiver

2 hours ago, darthdively said:

I think that attracts me to the auto filling ones is that I can have those get filled while I'm loading. Keeping my momentum when loading lol.

Unless you get upside down primers.

5 hours ago, darthdively said:

how did you modify your primer tubes? I was thinking about 3d printing a vibraprime receiver

I can't speak for rishii, but I didn't modify the Dillon tubes, I modified the adapters that come with the Vibra Prime.

Bare with me, I did this a long time ago, but I think this part originally had a metal tip/tube? I removed it.

20240223_184208.jpg.2cd0e108dc37df9cd1e5baaf7a87bd90.jpg

Now I can insert Dillon tubes by sliding them in/out. They must be held in place while loading.

20240223_184245.thumb.jpg.f724f985b818ded3747e0212e824ff34.jpg

20240223_184259(0).thumb.jpg.88fa7046e8cff10f2229e9dc039e7e20.jpg

Edited by 4n2t0

I did it with 2 pliers 

1 holding the black plastic thingie

1 holding the aluminum tube right below it 

twist in opposite direction until it broke loose and rotated a few time until the aluminum tube came out, I think I might have used a drill to clean up the inside of the plastic housing 

I used a VP for more than 15 years. I (and others) simply eliminated the adapter and just held the bare end of the tube against the feed hole in the bottom of the tray. I think I did a light bevel of the tube ID.

39 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I used a VP for more than 15 years. I (and others) simply eliminated the adapter and just held the bare end of the tube against the feed hole in the bottom of the tray. I think I did a light bevel of the tube ID.

I tried that but got significantly more stoppages for some reason. Maybe because I didn't bevel anything? Maybe because the alignment (hole to hole) isn't as good without the adapter? I don't know, but the modified adapter works best for me.

Edited by 4n2t0

28 minutes ago, 4n2t0 said:

I tried that but got significantly more stoppages for some reason. Maybe because I didn't bevel anything? Maybe because the alignment (hole to hole) isn't as good without the adapter? I don't know, but the modified adapter works best for me.

The pioneers of no adaptor can be found in this 2003 thread:

My experience was that the Dillon tubes just fight tightly into the underside of the tray. The bevel made a "funnel" to guide the primers into the tube. The best $29 that I ever spent. The kid that bought my 650 now has it. :roflol:

posting to keep track of this thread...

I want a collator.  the simplicity of the vibra-prime is tempting

and for the price I can hope the rf-100 is a good unit. (It has a good rep.)

my tinkerers soul wants to get a close look at the DAA unit

and the reports are all over the map.  so I am not springing for a new one.

I still fill by hand because I do not like shaking or rattling primers.

I think I'd like a unit to have a mild hum and no other clicks or clacks.

it is a challenging task to automate.

miranda

On 2/23/2024 at 6:44 PM, ChuckS said:

That's what I do. I've never felt any need to make an adapter work.

I also drilled a hole in the plastic tray directly over the drop point. 

If a primer gets stuck I can usually coax it on it's way with a wooden skewer. 

(can't take credit for that idea, stole it from somebody else, maybe on BEnos...)

Edited by ddc

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/23/2024 at 10:08 PM, RangerTrace said:

2 quarter turns of the adjustment screw turned my RF100 from a total POS into the best piece of equipment on my bench.  I was just too scared/dumb to do it years ago.

Which adjustment screw are you referencing? The only one I know of is the the one that secures the adapter tip that sits inside the platform. The small primer one is blue. Changing the tension on that has helped me tons for sure. I'm  curious if you've made another adjustment that I haven't learned yet. 

9 hours ago, ezra650 said:

Which adjustment screw are you referencing? The only one I know of is the the one that secures the adapter tip that sits inside the platform. The small primer one is blue. Changing the tension on that has helped me tons for sure. I'm  curious if you've made another adjustment that I haven't learned yet. 

It's the one underneath the bowl that holds the blue thingy.