Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Live Free Armory (LFA) - Apollo 11 - LO Build

Picked up a LFA Apollo 11 from their presale wait list. Joined the wait list in oct of 2023 and received an email about shipment in early February 2024. The only reason I was curious was the price tag ($975). 

Initial plan is to do a grip swap with an MPA aluminum grip I have on hand, some polishing of internals and spring swapping. 

Overall this will be under $2000 into a LO build. 

First impressions: minor frame to slide slop in the fitment. Not too shocking considering the price.  Trigger comes in just under 3.5 lbs. short reset with a little bit of take up. The stock set up has a lot unneeded pressure on the grip safety. Easily the stiffest grip safety I’ve felt from any 1911/2011. 

IMG_7902.jpeg

Edited by Maximis228

Just now, OPENB said:

Is the slide cut for the K optic, like the Tisas guns?

This does have an RMSc cut, Yes. 

Hopefully in the future someone will create a plate to convert to a larger optic, but this was always meant to be a fun gun anyways. 

3 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

These sound pretty interesting to me too. Let us know how it performs. 

Comparing it to a Giran 2311 ive felt before, this is significantly better for sure. The Prodigy is still the better buy, mostly due to the optic cut. 

36 minutes ago, Maximis228 said:

Comparing it to a Giran 2311 ive felt before, this is significantly better for sure. The Prodigy is still the better buy, mostly due to the optic cut. 

The holosun EPS isn't a bad optic and should fit that cut with a bigger window then the EPS carry or 507k's. Makes a good rainy match setup. 

I'm assuming they went with this cut just to keep the cost down vs a plate system. I bet a plate comes out to at least convert to RMR footprint. 

36 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

The holosun EPS isn't a bad optic and should fit that cut with a bigger window then the EPS carry or 507k's. Makes a good rainy match setup. 

I'm assuming they went with this cut just to keep the cost down vs a plate system. I bet a plate comes out to at least convert to RMR footprint. 

I might have to look into that. I had a 407K on hand which is why im rolling with it. 

Grip swap was fairly easy. Snug fit, but not overly tight to where material needed to be removed. EGW leaf spring required some more tuning than normal compared to other grip swaps I’ve done. Hammer follow with the stock set out of the bag, but very easy to adjust.  

One large issue I ran into was the optic screws supplied from Holosun & LFA did not fit. Ordered some longer screws off amazon… only to find out the mounting holes on the slide were cut to different depths. I had to manually cut these screws which is a real pain. 

Busy with family stuff this weekend so the maiden voyage will be sometime next week, but this is how she sits now. 

IMG_7913.jpeg

IMG_7912.jpeg

Edited by Maximis228

On 2/15/2024 at 9:22 AM, Racinready300ex said:

You can fit that cut into a stock 1911 slide.  RMR is too wide.

On 2/16/2024 at 8:15 PM, shred said:

You can fit that cut into a stock 1911 slide.  RMR is too wide.

Which is why I said it's to keep cost down. Cutting for something that fits is going to be cheaper than developing a plate system to allow a RMR or other optics. They likely had the price point in mind the whole time and needed to hit it. I'm sure this helped. 

Snuck out to the range and shot about 250 rounds on the new build. It ran flawlessly with MBX and Atlas mags. The accuracy is leaving A LOT to be desired. The worst grouping 2011 I've ever shot. I was having issues zeroing the gun at 18 yards (What I usually zero my guns at due to being indoors a lot). So I decided to shoot 5 round groups starting at 5 yards and going back from bags (Supporting the frame, my wrists, forearms and elbows). 

5 yards - 1 ragged hole 

10 yards - 1.5 inch group 

15 yards - 3.5 inch group 

20 yards - 6 inch group 

Comparing to my Staccato Ps or Venom Custom 2011s it 3-4x the size groups at 20 yards. Using the same load I've used for all 9 minor guns (4.0 of TG under a 124 Plated RN - 1.135 OAL). 

The barrel has noticeable movement when in lock up at the front of the slide. I sent an email to LFA but I'm doubtful anything will come of this. 

5 minutes ago, troupe said:

Was the grip a hard fit or easy switch ?

"Grip swap was fairly easy. Snug fit, but not overly tight to where material needed to be removed. EGW leaf spring required some more tuning than normal compared to other grip swaps I’ve done. Hammer follow with the stock set out of the bag, but very easy to adjust. " 

I hope you get your problem resolved.  I purchased a Live Free Armory AMP pistol over a year ago.  I live locally to them and took it back several times due to problems, but I finally got rid of it.  I was trying to get it setup for competition use and I was never happy with it.  

• 1 month later...

Did you get anything figured out with LFA regarding the accuracy issues? I'm trying to figure out if this is something I should stock or not

On 4/5/2024 at 6:00 PM, Jmob50 said:

Did you get anything figured out with LFA regarding the accuracy issues? I'm trying to figure out if this is something I should stock or not

I tossed a new barrel link in and I'm getting slightly better accuracy but its marginal at best. 

I don't understand the design  considerations when they made a V-groove along the slide  and especially in the area of the ejection port  opening.🤷‍♂️

other than  that the  gun looks nice.👍

2 hours ago, Maximis228 said:

I tossed a new barrel link in and I'm getting slightly better accuracy but its marginal at best. 

Thanks! I’ll continue to follow for any other updates. Specifically to see if anyone creates an optic plate to convert it to RMR footprint

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, 392heminut said:

That's an interesting looking grip.

That's probably the thing I like the least about the LFA. The grip is 3D printed and has sort of a cheap feel. The texture itself isn't bad but the overall quality feels sort of janky.

44 minutes ago, Tokarev said:

That's probably the thing I like the least about the LFA. The grip is 3D printed and has sort of a cheap feel. The texture itself isn't bad but the overall quality feels sort of janky.

IDK if it's their process or the material itself, but the grip felt like it was deteriorating in my hand when I was disassembling it. It also could have been material left over from the MFG process itself.