Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Casefeeder for Dillon 550B

Thinking about a casefeeder for my 550. I am guessing I can pick up a little speed with one. Thought about a 750 with all the trimmings but the $$$ scared me away given all the accessories I'd need to handle the different calibers I shoot. (38/357,9mm,40.45acp possibly 556. 

Can anyone share actual expierence with what you have and guidance with what I should get ...

Inquiring minds need to know 

Be aware that the 550 case feeder will not feed rifle length cases, including 223.  How it works is the case must be short enough to slide under the end of the decap pin. 45Colt/44 Magnum/300 Blackout are the tallest cases it will feed.

If you want the ability to feed rifle cases, then go with the 750.  

No disrespect to the Dillon rep as he is totally correct.

I modified a RL 450 to load .223 using the case feeder (dedicated set up), but you need machine a few parts to make it work. 

I'm a NRA service rifle shooter, so my rounds needed is 90 per match. A lot less than the 3 gun crowd.

I de-cap and wet tumble, size and trim with a Dillon trimmer die and hand prime on a Lee tool, which is not something the 3 gunners might not want to do. 

The 550 is a great balanced machine.  The lack of auto index isn't an issue because your left and right hand are both doing something.  Add a case feeder and now your right hand doesn't leave the handle and your left is indexing and placing a bullet.  I was in your situation a few years ago: I had a 550 and wanted to go faster.  I debated about getting a case feeder or selling the 550 and getting a 650.  I cheaped out and got the 550 case feeder.  I struggled with it for a year.  It never quite worked 100%  and I ended up getting a 650 and selling the 550.  The 650 was designed for a case feeder from the start.  The 550 case feeder was an afterthought.

I also had one.  I liked it OK, but when I got my SL900 it gave me a taste for what an indexing machine would be like and I sold it.  IMO it would be a lot cooler as a transitionary step if (and the Dillon rep may confirm) the 550 CF bowl itself was the same as the 750 CF bowl.  When I had mine I believe the switching was different.

ETA: I bought mine for the same reasons the OP mentioned, the cost of the 650/750 conversions.  I had a lot of conversions for the 550, my solution was to keep the 550 and only setup the 650 for the high volume cartridges.  In my case this lead to a second 650, and then a bullet feeder, and then an RL1100, I guess it all just depends how soon you wanna step onto the slippery slope!! 😎

I do not want to break any forum rules there may be about advertising here, but I do expect my old one to be available in a month or two from my friend's estate. 

Edited by mmc45414

On 1/5/2024 at 7:38 AM, jrguar said:

Thinking about a casefeeder for my 550.

Double Alpha makes one which works okay (I have one, but went back to hand feeding). The issue with a case feeder on the 550 is the case insertion just isn't as nice as the 750. It will feed brass faster than you can hand load it, however you will need to occasionally correct the brass before pulling the handle.

I believe Dillon's comes with the electric feeder while DAA's has the tubes. DAA will feed 223. Neither is a perfect solution.

Check them out.

16 hours ago, HesedTech said:

Double Alpha makes one which works okay (I have one, but went back to hand feeding). The issue with a case feeder on the 550 is the case insertion just isn't as nice as the 750. It will feed brass faster than you can hand load it, however you will need to occasionally correct the brass before pulling the handle.

I believe Dillon's comes with the electric feeder while DAA's has the tubes. DAA will feed 223. Neither is a perfect solution.

Check them out.

Same here, did not save much time, as I needed to often correct the brass. Eventually, I took it off and feed by hand again. However, .357 mag fed very well, but 9 was a pita.

I put a case feeder on my 550 and never did get it to run great. I have a 650 with a case feeder that runs flawlessly. I took the case feeder off the 550 and use it for my Case Size Roller now. It works flawlessly too. Like I said I tinkered and tinkered and never got the case feeder to work right with the 550. It takes less time to just hand load the brass into the 550. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a 550 with a case feeder for about 10 years, and Mr. Bulletfeeder for about 8 years now. Works well enough, no major issues. The case feeder has no issues, the bullet feeder sometimes isn't all it could be, I think the biggest issue is it doesn't like being dirty, so after about 300 rounds, you have to clean it. But even accounting for the need to use a seat/crimp combo die, it's still faster than no case feeder or bullet feeder. 

Three years ago I bought a. RL1100, now that's a major improvement. Since then, the 1100 is set up for 9mm, and the 550 is mostly for whatever else I need. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've also got the DAA. As others have said, it's not perfect, but I've really liked it overall. Simple and easy enough to use. It does save me some time, but mostly I like being able to leave my right hand on the handle.

If you really want to be able to churn them out, as others have said a 650/750 is a better fit for speed, but for only about $200 I was able to increase my output about 40%-50% with the DAA. Still not as fast as my buddy's 650, but if you're already set up well on a 550 you can get a little more output without dropping a ton of cash.