Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moving to Open too soon?

motor_gunner

Hello,

I have a few matches now under my belt with Limited Optics and Production (under 10 though) and I am hooked. I already have a Dillon 750 so reloading for 38 Super or 9mm Major is not an issue. I was considering putting the deposit down for an MPA DS9 Open build, because Open is the division I'd really like to get into. I was just curious what opinions were on when to move to Open, or if it really just is "whenever you can afford it". 

Thanks!

well these days 9mm is where its at for custom builds,  Shoot whats fun for you and if you got the coin go for it. 
Open is FAST ,, But nowadays with CO and  now Limited optic,,, IMO you can play the exact same game with much cheaper guns, ammo and magazines in one of those 2 divisions.. 
Although one thing gun owners usually dont need is much of an excuse to buy another gun. 
The game is a game,, and really its not like production is a beginner division and Open is the advanced division,, there are all level of skills in all divisions.

3 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

well these days 9mm is where its at for custom builds,  Shoot whats fun for you and if you got the coin go for it. 
Open is FAST ,, But nowadays with CO and  now Limited optic,,, IMO you can play the exact same game with much cheaper guns, ammo and magazines in one of those 2 divisions.. 
Although one thing gun owners usually dont need is much of an excuse to buy another gun. 
The game is a game,, and really its not like production is a beginner division and Open is the advanced division,, there are all level of skills in all divisions.

A fair point about every division having every level of skill, thanks for the input!

Hi there, when I started my journey into practical shooting I really wanted to shoot in open division. Contrary to many other competitors who advised against it by stating I should first start and gain experience in production or production (carry) optics, I just "followed my heart" ... and immediately started in open division, as a matter of fact in open major 🙂 Very glad I didn't follow the otherwise well meant advice. If you want to put in the budgets, time and resources, go shoot in open division! 

I shot Open for many years, its an appealing division but it does have its drawbacks. The biggest issues for me were Price and Maintenance.

All mechanical devices are subject to failure. If you have only one gun then you may be without it for several weeks/months if it ever needs repair. Many serious competitors will always have a spare/backup in case of breakages, which doubles the cost.

One can purchase two ProdOptics or CO guns for far less than a single Open gun can cost, holsters and hi-cap magazines will also add to the initial outlay. 

Follow your dream by all means, but be aware of the pros and cons surrounding any division.

I usually tell people to buy one open gun and if it looks like they're shooting it enough to wear it out, order another for when they do.  

There's a learning curve to open in the testing and tuning is more than the other divisions, so be prepared for a few frustrating matches as you work through it.

Having access to a local gunsmith that knows open guns can be very valuable when they do go sideways.

2 hours ago, StefVanHauwe said:

Hi there, when I started my journey into practical shooting I really wanted to shoot in open division. Contrary to many other competitors who advised against it by stating I should first start and gain experience in production or production (carry) optics, I just "followed my heart" ... and immediately started in open division, as a matter of fact in open major 🙂 Very glad I didn't follow the otherwise well meant advice. If you want to put in the budgets, time and resources, go shoot in open division! 

I think this is pretty much where I am at, so its good to hear others did the same. I don't mind dropping 4-5k on an MPA to use in 6 months when its ready, and running some more limited optics matches in the meantime. I have the ammo and mags basically covered (don't mind buying more either)

2 minutes ago, shred said:

I usually tell people to buy one open gun and if it looks like they're shooting it enough to wear it out, order another for when they do.  

There's a learning curve to open in the testing and tuning is more than the other divisions, so be prepared for that.

Having access to a local gunsmith that knows open guns can be very valuable.

Good points. Luckily, I have a large collection of other 1911's and various other guns that I do all of my own work on, so I don't mind doing the majority of maintenance myself, so that part isn't a concern. 

13 minutes ago, OpenshooterMclass4lyfe said:

I’d stay away from MPA but that’s just me.   Open is the one true division in uspsa.  You can’t go wrong shooting it but you can definitely get the wrong gun from the wrong manufacturer.  

What's going on with MPA? Have you seen problems with one? 

1 minute ago, OpenshooterMclass4lyfe said:

I’ve seen several different people  not make it through a local without a malfunction.    But once cry once I’ve always heard.  

Well that's a bummer. I had heard good things about them, but given how relatively new their Open build is, I guess it might be prudent to just spend a few thousand more on an Atlas I guess. 

9 minutes ago, motor_gunner said:

Well that's a bummer. I had heard good things about them, but given how relatively new their Open build is, I guess it might be prudent to just spend a few thousand more on an Atlas I guess. 

If you’re going to spend as much as an atlas build I’d suggest looking into rafferty, limcat or venom custom.   Much higher quality and better customer service and about the same price. 

Just now, OpenshooterMclass4lyfe said:

If you’re going to spend as much as an atlas build I’d suggest looking into rafferty, limcat or venom custom.   Much higher quality and better customer service and about the same price. 

Thanks for the suggestions. I am familiar with Limcat, but I'll check the other two out as well.

Another options is to see if you can find someone local selling an Open gun that's known to work.  Cheap way to make sure you like it as you can always resell for about the same $.

Around here Open has grown quite a bit as the CO shooters wanted to see what was over the next hill.

22 hours ago, Joe4d said:

well these days 9mm is where its at for custom builds,

seems different where we are. almost all the local gm and m's shoot 38sc, and everyone who ordered a new gun in the last year ordered 38sc, probably because its an objectively better round for open (better durability, and compensator function). right before we ordered mrs moto's gun we bumped into our local GM (top 25-30 at multiple nationals) who was really fighting with his 9mm gun a bit and trying to figure out how to get it to shoot like his 38.

To me it seems dumb to spend 5-8k on a gun and knowingly choose a caliber that will make the wear out or break sooner just to try to save a couple bucks on brass (or a little trouble of picking up brass).

Anyway, back to the OP. I don't know that there's any disadvantage to switching to open. From what I've observed with others, it really allows you to concentrate on all the other stuff required by the game, since the shooting and recoil management and reloads are less of thing to worry about. All those other movement and blending and planning skills will still be useful in other divisions.

As long as you have other guns to shoot I'd definitely take plenty of time investigating and handling as many brands/options as you can. Since it sounds like you're willing and able to spend enough to get what you want.

• 2 weeks later...