Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Was it bad slides or bad barrels?

Chillywig

I have a relatively low round count CK open gun I bought new in 2016. I shot it for a little more than a year, then got another open gun, then switched divisions and haven't used this one much. I know there was a time where a lot of slides were cracking and heard the problem described as a "bad bunch of slides." My gun has a early serial number 017X and was told this was built before the bad slides. Well I just learned about a gun builder suing a barrel manufacture and distributer for selling barrels that were out of hardness spec and it was barrel stress/flex causing the slides to fail. Not trying to bad mouth anyone but looking for info. I did some googling and could not find any details. Do I need to quit shooting this gun and have a new barrel fitted? 

20231018_100352_resized_1.jpg

Edited by Chillywig

2 hours ago, Maximis228 said:

The 2011 MFG who is suing the barrel company was turning down barrels and sleeving them with a tungsten sleeve. This severely changed the integrity of the barrels.

I would not put much stock in this lawsuit at all. 

so Akai? 

Run it like a rental until something breaks then get it fixed. That is the normal life cycle of an Open gun. If the gun is functioning reliably and still accurate don't try to proactively fix something that may not even be an issue.

7 hours ago, Chillywig said:

I have a relatively low round count CK open gun I bought new in 2016. I shot it for a little more than a year, then got another open gun, then switched divisions and haven't used this one much. I know there was a time where a lot of slides were cracking and heard the problem described as a "bad bunch of slides." My gun has a early serial number 017X and was told this was built before the bad slides. Well I just learned about a gun builder suing a barrel manufacture and distributer for selling barrels that were out of hardness spec and it was barrel stress/flex causing the slides to fail. Not trying to bad mouth anyone but looking for info. I did some googling and could not find any details. Do I need to quit shooting this gun and have a new barrel fitted? 

20231018_100352_resized_1.jpg

@Chillywig  I agree with @36873687 that you can't believe everything you hear these days!

IIRC, CK was a joint venture of Matt Cheely and Bobby Keigans.  If so, I feel confident you could contact Matt Cheely and discuss your concerns!

https://www.edgefirearmimports.com.au/ckarms/

IMO, shoot it till it "pukes" then do whatever it takes to fix it!

Great looking pistol!!!!  👍

😉👍

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp

There was a period of time where Bobby had to purchase slide blanks from a well-known very large company. That batch seem to have some issues with slide cracking. One of my CKs was one of them. I had two others with many more rounds that are still going strong today. If yours was before that batch you should be fine. 

Ya I decided to not worry about the slide a long time ago then someone dropped the bad barrel story on me and I started wondering. I will go back to only fixing things that are broke and not worry about witchcraft and theories.... 

9 hours ago, Chillywig said:

Ya I decided to not worry about the slide a long time ago then someone dropped the bad barrel story on me and I started wondering. I will go back to only fixing things that are broke and not worry about witchcraft and theories.... 

good call. 

9mm Major open guns break slides, just expect it to happen sooner or later.  Barrels wear out.  Unless your loading is terrible or you get really unlucky, you'll spend 10x more than the cost of a slide on powder and ammo by then.

1 hour ago, shred said:

9mm Major open guns break slides, just expect it to happen sooner or later. 

Some do.  There were batches of slides prone to cracking.  I think most of the cracking is due to poor slide fit, crazy lightening and too light a recoil spring.  I can't believe there are people running 7 lb. recoil springs and expecting everything to last.

The slide to frame fit on my main 9 major gun is still tight after 30-40k rounds.  Tight as in no play up/down or sideways.  I run a 10 lb. recoil spring.  The slide was lightened to 10.5 oz., by leaving metal where it mattered and removing where it didn't.   I expect it to last another 30-40k.  

I've likely got more than 150K on each of my identical-but-for-the-serial-number Supercomps.  One's needed a new slide at 70K, the other didn't.  Same brand and lot of slides.  They're wear items.  Some last longer than others, but they tend to break faster with major 9 because the pressure is higher--- ask a builder which crack more.  Unless they are stupid lightened, they crack somewhere between the upper lugs and the breechface because that's what holds the pressure.

On 10/18/2023 at 10:45 AM, Chillywig said:

Well I just learned about a gun builder suing a barrel manufacture and distributer for selling barrels that were out of hardness spec and it was barrel stress/flex causing the slides to fail.

Seems Shay is providing some insight for those that do FB.........

https://www.facebook.com/shay.akai/posts/pfbid0WKXz9WtXETNo2AxERp65mfM6rTiVhbrh85K1t4nGRpnMUxkTS1qVLwj11kNKcD5sl

🤔