Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mighty Armory scratch cases

m0r3ric3plz

Hello all,

Does anyone have any solutions to fixing the vertical scratch cases when using the MA FL sizing die? I cleaned the die out with One Shot, Dillions D.C.L using ear swab  and the gun cloth. Looked up other solutions on other forms some of them say use the alcohol and lanion mix which is what Dillon D.C.L is.  It does bother me when i reload my 9mm.  The brass im using is brand new Starline and Jagermann brass.

You'll have to get rid of the brass stringers in the die by using a .223 copper bore brush wrapped with a grey scotch brite pad. Put the brush in a drill and run it untill it builds up heat in the die. Then only use a lanolin based lube or it will do it again. Redding performs as well without all the additional steps.

1 hour ago, jubi351 said:

Redding performs as well without all the additional steps.

💯 ^^^^^^^☝️☝️

Been using the Redding Pro Sizer for MANY years along with Hornady One Shot; and this combo has never let me down! 

Highly recommended!  

https://www.accuratearmsandammo.com/product/87172-redding-nxgen-carbide-sizing-die-9mm-luger/

👍

Years ago I had the same issue with the MA sizing die for .40. Vertical streaks, as if there were burrs or micro pebbles in the die. My solution was to throw it away and use a die that was finished correctly so I don't have to fix the problems that the factory should've fixed and detected during QC. That soured me on MA, even though I believe their overall reputation is very good these days and I would use some of their other dies. 

1 minute ago, IVC said:

Years ago I had the same issue with the MA sizing die for .40. Vertical streaks, as if there were burrs or micro pebbles in the die. My solution was to throw it away and use a die that was finished correctly so I don't have to fix the problems that the factory should've fixed and detected during QC. That soured me on MA, even though I believe their overall reputation is very good these days and I would use some of their other dies. 

Same experience here. 

• 2 months later...

Bit of a necro post, but I have the same problem.
I have tried the drill and brush method to no avail.

Any other tips or solutions? I like the die since it is the only one I've tried that can uniform (brute punch) the flash holes of non-standard brass like indoor range brass.

20 hours ago, OnePivot said:

Every time I hear about someone using a MA die, it's involving some type of reloading malfunction caused by the MA die. 

Not to mention the lack of tension in the re-sizing die in 9mm.  Hard pass on MA.

8 hours ago, Revolution said:

Not to mention the lack of tension in the re-sizing die in 9mm.  Hard pass on MA.

Same issue here.  I’d have about 1 in 10 cases that would have almost no neck tension on the bullet.  The bullet would drop down too low and over seat and spin after crimping.  I just went back to my Dillon die that I used for years without issue.  

• 1 month later...
On 1/10/2024 at 8:58 PM, Wanna_Go_Fast said:

Same issue here.  I’d have about 1 in 10 cases that would have almost no neck tension on the bullet.  The bullet would drop down too low and over seat and spin after crimping.  I just went back to my Dillon die that I used for years without issue.  

This is odd- I just swapped to a MA die because I was having this issue with a Lee die. Fixed my issue as of the last few hundred. Also sorted the issue I was having with the bottom of the case being too wide to case gauge.

I haven't noticed streaking but now I'll be checking. 🤦‍♂️

Usually brass has embedded itself on the sizing ring when you get streaks like that.

I've used cheap(er) Lee or Dillon dies with mixed brass all my life and have never had any real issues.

• 1 month later...

I also ordered a MA die set and was thoroughly disappointed with the sizing die, though I liked the mandrel, seating, and crimp dies.  

As mentioned, the sizing die was scratching brass pretty bad, which I corrected with steps mentioned above.  Awesome, now I was in business - right up until I realized that there are about 2-3 headstamps in my mixed brass that don't have enough neck tension after being sized.  I can press the bullet into the case with just finger tension.

So, needless to say, I just went back to the Dillon sizing die that has worked great for me in the past.  At this point, I say just embrace the wasp waist...

• 1 month later...

First off you should lube cases with Mighty dies and all your scratching issues will be gone. I'm at 30k on my first Mighty 9mm resizing die every thing is still perfect, I've been using Dillon even before the rl450 , I'm currently running 5 Dillon presses , 3 of them all have Mighty 9mm dies A 750,650 and 550 that I use for working up loads , I shoot competition along with my kids and grandchildren they all shoot steel challenge. Ive been reloading for over 50 years and drank blue Kool aid along the way and I have to say my 9mm have never been as good as they are now if you run a PCC and use it for steel challenge and run ultra lite loads get at least Mighty sizing die and powder funnel and then ck your standard deviations and compare them to o Dillon dies and you will see drastic difference not to mention the overall appearance and function is like factory. I load a lot of 9 weekly with Mighty dies and N310 and E3 powder and all our guns run flawless just my 2cents.

On 10/16/2023 at 6:48 PM, m0r3ric3plz said:

Hello all,

Does anyone have any solutions to fixing the vertical scratch cases when using the MA FL sizing die? I cleaned the die out with One Shot, Dillions D.C.L using ear swab  and the gun cloth. Looked up other solutions on other forms some of them say use the alcohol and lanion mix which is what Dillon D.C.L is.  It does bother me when i reload my 9mm.  The brass im using is brand new Starline and Jagermann brass.

directions explain which lube to use.

The dies are full length like a rifle die.

If you don’t use the correct lube filing may break away from the edgy unchamfered case mouth and stick on the bore and smear.

PEG75 lanolin with 99% at 7-1 eliminates that from happening.

on another note, about the third week of June we’ll be releasing a bomb proof lubeless sizing and crimp die. 100% SAAMI spec as always.?

next time you have a question reach out to us for some advice. We’re always available to help you.

FYI our commercial clients have well over a million cycles on our dies, selling SAAMI spec ammo. Their sales have boomed. 

Have a great day everyone!

1 minute ago, WaynePatrick said:

directions explain which lube to use.

The dies are full length like a rifle die.

If you don’t use the correct lube filing may break away from the edgy unchamfered case mouth and stick on the bore and smear.

PEG75 lanolin with 99% at 7-1 eliminates that from happening.

on another note, about the third week of June we’ll be releasing a bomb proof lubeless sizing and crimp die. 100% SAAMI spec as always.?

next time you have a question reach out to us for some advice. We’re always available to help you.

FYI our commercial clients have well over a million cycles on our dies, selling SAAMI spec ammo. Their sales have boomed. 

Have a great day everyone!

Forgot to add, we have a maintenance polishing die video we can email you.

reach out to us at info@mightyarmory.com

💪

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Maximis228 said:

Ive never heard of a single sizing die needing specific lube or ongoing Maintenace outside cleaning them after a boat load of sized cases. 

Weird. 

They aren’t SAAMI spec sizing. 
They’re ring dies that undersize.

Check back with us third week of June for the lube less die in stock update.

Thanks, 

Edited by WaynePatrick

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, WaynePatrick said:

They aren’t SAAMI spec sizing. 
They’re ring dies that undersize.

Check back with us third week of June for the lube less die in stock update.

Thanks, 

Interesting. So, your dies do not use a ring? If they do, how would not undersizing create more friction, thus the need for lube, than undersizing? Does it have something to do with the base of the brass?

Edited by 4n2t0

• 5 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

The die sizes full length of the case.

.630 from base to top.

what can happen is, edgy case mouths can break filings away. They’ll get caught between the next case and bore and streak smear. That’s what causes the scratching.

PEG75 lube eliminates that from happening.

Within a couple of weeks or Nova Series will be ready and introduced. 
No Lube Required.  

Edited by WaynePatrick

3 hours ago, WaynePatrick said:

The die sizes full length of the case.

.630 from base to top.

what can happen is, edgy case mouths can break filings away. They’ll get caught between the next case and bore and streak smear. That’s what causes the scratching.

PEG75 lube eliminates that from happening.

Within a couple of weeks or Nova Series will be ready and introduced. 
No Lube Required.  

Is the Nova a carbide sizing die?