Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 milling options

yekcoh

I acquired a CZ S2 regular, not OR.

CZC offers options for a direct mill and for their proprietary plate mill.

Has anyone done direct mill for SRO? They mill as far down as possible and actually cut clearance for where the glass sits.

I asked for a picture of the cut slide without an optic installed but they don't have any.

Anybody got a pic of it without the optic. I'm curious what it looks like.

Also, do they do anything to cover up the bare steel or is it left as machined?

Inline image

thumbnail.png

Edited by yekcoh

CZC is able to direct mount the SRO without a plate.  They recommend sending the optic in with the gun/slide because they can fit the optic better ( and there have been variations in the optics as well).  Their price includes refinishing of the slide (Re-blue or Poly Coat).  Info@czcustom.com will get you any answers you need for the process.

Stonebridge gun works cut my S2 for my 507 comp but when they do a cut for the SRO they cut out that ledge up front to fit the SRO jut out. They blued my cut portion instead of cerakoating the entire slide. I prefer the original finish and we'll see how the blued finish under the optic holds up over time.  Turnaround door to door was 2 weeks. 

22 hours ago, CGoodwin said:

That is an impressively low cut. Looks even lower than the former Fire-4-Effect system. Wonder what this would be like on a SP-01 Shadow.

Unfortunately the slide on the sp-01 is too narrow for the rmr bolt pattern.  They require a plate to use them.

On 10/6/2023 at 10:29 AM, DougCarden said:

CZC is able to direct mount the SRO without a plate.  They recommend sending the optic in with the gun/slide because they can fit the optic better ( and there have been variations in the optics as well).  Their price includes refinishing of the slide (Re-blue or Poly Coat).  Info@czcustom.com will get you any answers you need for the process.

Hi Doug, do you have any pictures of a S2 direct mount or S2 using your 10656 plate? Interested in where the SRO shield is and how close it is to the extractor. Maybe the above pic is CZC. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Foxtrotx1 said:

I want to do this but with my luck the SRO will be discontinued in 10 years and i'll have a funky extra cut out area beyond the normal footprint :P

Decisions. 

It’s not that funky. Here’s mine cut from Primary Machine (2 weeks turnaround over Christmas and New Years).

Holosun 507 Comp

QEI9OTV.jpg

SAgz9SY.jpg

fJSKQjJ.jpg

With the SRO mounted

FaJVcgS.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2023 at 8:22 PM, tt350z said:

It’s not that funky. Here’s mine cut from Primary Machine (2 weeks turnaround over Christmas and New Years).

Holosun 507 Comp

QEI9OTV.jpg

SAgz9SY.jpg

fJSKQjJ.jpg

With the SRO mounted

FaJVcgS.jpg

On the bottom picture is that a crack in the corner above the extractor?  

Looks like one at a 45° angle down to the right??

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/8/2023 at 8:17 PM, Jsjac said:

On the bottom picture is that a crack in the corner above the extractor?  

Looks like one at a 45° angle down to the right??

I think that 45 degree angle is normal to a S2 slide. If that's what you mean I think it was just catching the light strange.

Screenshot_20231228_050735_Chrome.jpg.a1adb308f3175d434c83579024c566c5.jpg

1 hour ago, Jsjac said:

Here is the spot I was talking about. Not sure??FaJVcgS2.thumb.jpg.646306e8ef4a381221b15cdd2cdb540c.jpg

4 minutes ago, tt350z said:

Nope. Must have been carbon, lint, or something.

e3VLPDI.jpeg

Thanks for clarifying and I'm damn glad it wasn't a crack!

How do you like the holosun comp compared to the SRO? I have gone from a C-more to RTS2 to to HS507x2 to Romeo3 Max myself between my CZ's and open 2011. I ditched the HS507x2 after buying a bull shadow with the Romeo 3 direct milled.

14 hours ago, Haywizzle said:

Thanks for clarifying and I'm damn glad it wasn't a crack!

How do you like the holosun comp compared to the SRO? I have gone from a C-more to RTS2 to to HS507x2 to Romeo3 Max myself between my CZ's and open 2011. I ditched the HS507x2 after buying a bull shadow with the Romeo 3 direct milled.

The Holosun is a good optic. If they cost the same, I’d still pick the SRO though.

When comparing dot only, my 2.5 moa SRO on setting 8 is brighter than the dot only reticle on the 507 comp. The 507 on max would be equivalent to the SRO’s 7.5 setting. The extra brightness is useful when the background is extremely bright like with fresh snow on the ground and sunny with no clouds. The extra reticle options (particularly the 8 moa ring) on the 507 is nice and does help. 

Putting both optics in a vice, the SRO also appears to have less parallax shift. I swap my S2 and PCC optic due to this. IMO, the parallax is less of an issue on a PCC because of the cheekweld.

The hood on the SRO is much thinner. It basically vanishes while it’s more noticeable on the 507.

The extended hood on the SRO is great on guns that have a LCI on the barrel hood such as the Prodigy. All the splatter is directed to the bottom of the hood so the lens stays spotless. Saves me from having to send the barrel out to get the LCI welded up.

On 12/29/2023 at 1:08 PM, tt350z said:

The Holosun is a good optic. If they cost the same, I’d still pick the SRO though.

When comparing dot only, my 2.5 moa SRO on setting 8 is brighter than the dot only reticle on the 507 comp. The 507 on max would be equivalent to the SRO’s 7.5 setting. The extra brightness is useful when the background is extremely bright like with fresh snow on the ground and sunny with no clouds. The extra reticle options (particularly the 8 moa ring) on the 507 is nice and does help. 

Putting both optics in a vice, the SRO also appears to have less parallax shift. I swap my S2 and PCC optic due to this. IMO, the parallax is less of an issue on a PCC because of the cheekweld.

The hood on the SRO is much thinner. It basically vanishes while it’s more noticeable on the 507.

The extended hood on the SRO is great on guns that have a LCI on the barrel hood such as the Prodigy. All the splatter is directed to the bottom of the hood so the lens stays spotless. Saves me from having to send the barrel out to get the LCI welded up.

On 12/29/2023 at 2:15 PM, GJM said:

The SRO is brighter than the 507 Comp on the 2 moa dot, in the red model. The green 2 moa dot on the 507 Comp is much brighter. 

Fellas, thanks for the good info on a 507 comp. The lack of brightness issues are concerning. I did not know about them.

I was considering using a 507 comp on my Scalarworks sidekick mount of my LVPO since it has an RMR footprint. My open and direct mount carry optic guns are pot committed with Romeo 3 Max's at this point and I've been happy with the shape and brightness of the Max. I've only had one break so far and had a new one in the mail immediately. I know there's no perfect red dot in existence.

Right now, for the side kick, I'm considering an SRO with the JagerWorks Bro, or an RMR HD, or RCR, as well as the full size Holosun enclosed emitters. I assume the Holosun EPS and 509Ts would have the same low brightness issues? I'll have to research more...