Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My first match shooting a revolver

louu

I wouldn't say I've been burned out lately but I've definitely lost focus. 

I've always had this goal to make A class in every division (except PCC cus that's like winning the special Olympics). I never practice because it's boring and I don't have time. I made A in limited in March and had a lot of top 10 overalls and I think a couple of overall wins when the GM's with red dots didn't show up lol. The last few months I've been shooting like absolute garbage. I don't look at the sights at all, I'm just rushing through the stages not even paying attention. I needed a change. 

I got a new 627 a couple of months ago and sent it straight to Clark's custom. I got it back about 10 days ago and it's sweet. I had to do a little more grinding on the holes to get the moons to drop in perfectly. I spent about two minutes learning how to reload and it was off to the races! 

I shot a local yesterday and had a smile back on my face the whole day right after the first stage! I got the feeling back I had form when I first started almost 10 years ago. I was really into 3 gun before covid killed it and my favorite thing from 3 gun was the shotgun. I really liked loading it, stage planning, not missing/aiming lol and the revolver reminds me of that, a lot. I'm actually feeling motivated to start dry firing. 

Of course as luck would have it I had to start with one of the classifiers. Riverdale standards, you know the one with 2 mandatory reloads and weak hand. I did terrible because I obviously can't do a decent reload and I haven't shot this gun weak hand yet. Really I've only got about 100 rounds through it and most of that was over a chronograph. I had 7 alpha, 11 Charlie's and 2 deltas because the gun shoots low. I'm going to order an adjustable rear sight right now and actually sight it in before the next match.

Had 30 (I think) rounder next with not much movement. It was an odd stage for any 8 round gun, there was no way to shot it without a standing reload. I actually had 2 smooth reloads and I went 1 for 1 on the steel. It wasn't a superstar run or anything special but that was the moment I got my spark back, I feel hooked again! I really like the unpredictability of this trigger (for me because I'm not use to it yet) it actually surprises me when it goes off so I'm aiming and focused again (tied that into the first paragraph!). 

Had a few more field courses after that and it was getting hot. Some good things and some bad things, the stage designs were awesome. Good mix of hoser stuff and movement planning, not a ton of hard leans only a gymnast with no spine can do lol. 

The a short course called Anderson standards, I got 16th overall and I knew it was good at the time. Only had one delta and the rest alpha. By this time I learned where the gun was hitting so using Lil Kentucky windage with that low shooting gun. I think I won my squad. Speaking of witch we had an amazing squad and that always makes the day better. Good mix of goofballs, timmies, uspsa guys, hot chicks (my wife) everyone was laughing, helping and learning. 

Second to last stage was another classifier, fluffys revenge 2. I had a good time 4.82 but had 4 Charlie's so I just missed A class with a 6.63HF. All the Charlie's were just below the A. That showed me that it's possible to meet my goal. 

The last stage was a big one and I needed exactly 8 hits in the first position. 4 small poppers to start, one big step back and 2 paper, then a 15 foot sprint. Of course I had one miss on a popper so my whole stage plan went out the window. Had to start the stage with an unnecessary standing reload and that just threw me off big time. I ran past my second position because I was struggling with the reload trying not to break the 180. The stage didn't get much better than that after that but I learned a lot on what I have to work on. 

All in all I'd say the day went perfect for my first time shooting a revolver. I'm hoping to have some time to work on things this week and I'm planning on shooting Lipsa Sunday 20230910_084121_resized.thumb.jpg.b6719795a46b49edfb0a9cefd3021e57.jpg

2 hours ago, Nathanb said:

Finding what is fun is more than half the battle here. I can relate going the opposite way. I went to open😂

Even a bad day of shooting is still better than a good day at work lol. I'm probably going to save open for last and carry optics. I'm thinking SS next then production. 

One question for you pro revolver guys

How hard are you crimping the bullets? I think I'm crimping them pretty hard, there's a groove cut into the bullet. I'm using berry's 130gn rn. 

I brought calipers with me and the leftover bullets in the clips on the ground were about 12 to 18 thousands pulled out

I used enough crimp where it I take a round and push on it against the bench it doesn tmove. when I loaded berry's and that was with full power 240 and 180 44 magnum loads.
For 357 I used jacketed or coated with a crimp groove  Both of those are roll crimped.
for 38 spc and 38 short colt, I used smooth no groove coated bullets, both old school moly and this newer Hitek stuff. Basically crimp till there is a slight groove in coating, but not cut.
None of above have ever given me bullet creep problems,,
Never saw the issue till I used commercial 9mm ammo in a 929..  Remington factory 147's didn't creep though.

If you using plated bullets, you may want to look into a taper crimp die.  They hold just as well and don't deform the bullet.  Over 100,000 38 special and 357 magnum (Target loads same as 38 special) rounds, without any problems at all. 

9 hours ago, dannyd said:

If you using plated bullets, you may want to look into a taper crimp die.  They hold just as well and don't deform the bullet.  Over 100,000 38 special and 357 magnum (Target loads same as 38 special) rounds, without any problems at all. 

Is the Lee taper crimp die good? Right now I'm using the Lee 9mm factory crimp die because I'm shooting 38 short colt 

9 hours ago, Maximis228 said:

I just picked up a 929 for the winter to switch things up from High cap. Glad im not the only one haha. 

Your gona love it. I obviously don't know s#!t about these things but I sent mine to Clark custom in Louisiana for the trigger job and everything else possible, it was pretty cheap I think a little over 300 bucks. What a difference in the trigger, it's smooth and about half the weight it was stock. They didn't get to aggressive on the cylinder chamfer job so I ended up getting out the electric gunsmith and went a little more myself. 

On 9/10/2023 at 1:53 PM, Ice36 said:

Bullet creep is fairly common with revo, I adjust my crimp to tighten up my shot group and not worry about bullet creep unless the bullet is sticking in the throat. Then when I get home, I reseat any rounds from used moons.

On 9/10/2023 at 2:22 PM, Joe4d said:

I used enough crimp where it I take a round and push on it against the bench it doesn tmove. when I loaded berry's and that was with full power 240 and 180 44 magnum loads.
For 357 I used jacketed or coated with a crimp groove  Both of those are roll crimped.
for 38 spc and 38 short colt, I used smooth no groove coated bullets, both old school moly and this newer Hitek stuff. Basically crimp till there is a slight groove in coating, but not cut.
None of above have ever given me bullet creep problems,,
Never saw the issue till I used commercial 9mm ammo in a 929..  Remington factory 147's didn't creep though.

Thanks guys. I reseated and recrimped those rounds today 

13 minutes ago, louu said:

Is the Lee taper crimp die good? Right now I'm using the Lee 9mm factory crimp die because I'm shooting 38 short colt 

The Lee works fine, so do all the rest Hornady, RCBS, Redding.  the 9mm will work just don't crimp to much, measure because you don't need as much as you think.

For the 38 i use a dillon 9mm taper crimp to .368".

Plated and jacketed, without a crimping groove, have always been problems for me with pullout.  I've settled on coated bullets, just as clean shooting and as accurate as plated or jacketed.

Be careful, too much crimp with a jacketed bullet can collapse the case and can cut through the plating on a plated bullet.  A plated bullet can even separate with too much crimp, and never solves the pullout.

Welcome to the club!

Edited by pskys2

6 hours ago, louu said:

Thanks for all the tips guys I'm going to start changing things up.

Is there any spare parts I should bring with me, is there any parts that break easily? 

A spare firing pin is a good idea.  Also, make certain your yoke screw is seated. If it backs out, you'll notch your yoke and push it out the front of the gun.

I went to my first IRC with an inaccurate lead spitter: two days before I left I notched the yoke on my 627. At the time, it was the only 8 shot I owned.

I didn't have ammo for another division, so I tried the yoke from my 625 and 610.  The six ten , ehhh, sorta kinda fit, but 6 inches at 15 yards while shaving rounds is less than ideal for any match, let alone something so accuracy based.  My results were predictable.

Finding and fitting a full length yoke screw would also be a plus.

I check screws and scrub charge holes after every other stage, too 

Jason