Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Cases Getting Under Plate on Dillon 650 Case Feeder

Every couple hundred rounds, a 9mm case gets under the plate on my Dillon 650 case feeder.   It's the most common stoppage on my machine.    Are there set up things I can do to minimize this?

I've never had one under the feeder plate unless I was switching calibers and missed a case.  Your feeder plate is not seated correctly if cases are underneath it.

Edited by stick

6 hours ago, Smitty79 said:

Every couple hundred rounds, a 9mm case gets under the plate on my Dillon 650 case feeder.   It's the most common stoppage on my machine.    Are there set up things I can do to minimize this?

Well Smitty.... I am glad that I am not the only one who has this issue. From time to time it seems that one needs to clean out the casefeeder bowl and re-seat the plate. I have fewer issues on one 650 with 9mm if I clean every 3 months or 3000 rounds. 

YMMV

That is such a pain, have to empty the bowl, remove the case and start over again. I use to empty the bowl by hand but now just pull the casefeed and dump. I have three casefeeds and one tends to do that, I think the shellplate doesn't sit flat enough in the bowl. Cause on one of the others I sometimes get a jamb at the trailing edge of the drop opening but the problem one just drags the brass under.

I don't get it with the DA plate. 

FWIW:  I have upgraded an XL650, an RL1100, and now the Apex 10 with DAA case feeder plates; and they have improved the case feeding to the point that I have experienced ZERO issues with any I have upgraded!

Highly recommended!

👍

29 minutes ago, HOGRIDER said:

FWIW:  I have upgraded an XL650, an RL1100, and now the Apex 10 with DAA case feeder plates; and they have improved the case feeding to the point that I have experienced ZERO issues with any I have upgraded!

Highly recommended!

👍

I agree they are a distinct improvement.

I have two. One does have a problem with the open mouth of 9mm brass getting stuck on the pointy end of the flipper.

If that happens it will usually jam up the rotation although occasionally it will release after a momentary pause.

DAA has replaced the flipper but it still happens with the new one. Probably some idiosyncrasy with that particular case feeder.

3 hours ago, ddc said:

I agree they are a distinct improvement.

I have two. One does have a problem with the open mouth of 9mm brass getting stuck on the pointy end of the flipper.

If that happens it will usually jam up the rotation although occasionally it will release after a momentary pause.

DAA has replaced the flipper but it still happens with the new one. Probably some idiosyncrasy with that particular case feeder.

Yea, I remember tuning the flipper on the RL1100 took me a few tries to get it just right.  😂

The Apex 10 doesn't have a provision to bolt up a flipper; but as of now, it has not been an issue and feeding has been perfect!

;)

Edited by HOGRIDER
To correct description!

If your case feed bowl has a yellow zinc-plated steel plate making up part of the bowl, remove the upper right sheet metal screw and see if the bowl springs away by about 1/8" from the hole location. If yes, then make a new hole in the plastic bowl and reinstall the screw.  Once in a while, during assembly of this style of bowl, The plastic bowl was too tightly clamped, flexing the base of the bowl just enough to allow a small case to roll under the plate. Unflexing the bowl corrects for this.

• 7 months later...
On 8/6/2023 at 8:31 PM, HOGRIDER said:

Upgrade to the DAA plate and your case feeder issues will be eliminated!

https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/daa-turbo-case-feeder-plate

👍

Actually, I never had the problem with cases getting under my dillon plate.  Happens frequently with the DAA plate.  Never had upside down cases either....now I do.

Edited by blueeyedme

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/6/2023 at 10:35 AM, Smitty79 said:

I have the same problem with this on a variable speed case feeder. It usually happens when I put in a lot of cases and when I load less it happens less.

On 8/8/2023 at 3:45 PM, dillon said:

If your case feed bowl has a yellow zinc-plated steel plate making up part of the bowl, remove the upper right sheet metal screw and see if the bowl springs away by about 1/8" from the hole location. If yes, then make a new hole in the plastic bowl and reinstall the screw.  Once in a while, during assembly of this style of bowl, The plastic bowl was too tightly clamped, flexing the base of the bowl just enough to allow a small case to roll under the plate. Unflexing the bowl corrects for this.

I have had the problem with the metal sided feeder but most often it is with the variable speed model Doesnt matter if it is the Dillon plate or the double alpha plate it still happens. All 3 of my variable speed feeders are from November of last year and newer.

Then the next time the case feed bowl is empty, lift out the case feed plate and lay a carpenters square across the bowl. The bottom of the bowl should be flat within +/- 1/8" . 

Be sure your loader is mounted to a stable surface. Plywood tops flex a bunch, and the case feed post sways as you sycle the handle. It might be necessary to attach the case feed bowl to the nearest wall to reduce swaying as the handle is cycled.