Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I need a new range bag

mreed911

My current range bag has a center compartment that’s too small.  I need a new bag.  First priority is usable space, second priority is BIFL durability.

My typical match loadout is two guns in sleeves, 12 fully loaded mags (I hate reloading at matches), lead wipes, liquid chalk, sunscreen, bug spray, a small bottle of CLP, a small bottle of oil, a small cleaning kit, a small tool kit, eye/ear pro, IFAK with tourniquet, and a small towel, and some small accessories/bits.

The IFAK and cleaning kit are molle compatible and could attach to the outside of a different bag (IFAK should, not could).

What I don’t want is a 36” monster duffle size bag I have to haul between stages.

Every backpack seems made for “4 or 5 guns” which isn’t my loadout.

Backpacks on wheels here don’t work well because of gravel.

Thoughts? Ideas?

I switched to backpacks a long time ago, but the smaller Shooters Connection & Dillon bags are a decent size for two pistols and not so huge they will fill up with fifty pounds of random crap.  There are no doubt others in that size range too.  Slightly smaller, LAPG gave away some bags at a nationals that I use a lot more than expected.

1 hour ago, shred said:

I switched to backpacks a long time ago, but the smaller Shooters Connection & Dillon bags are a decent size for two pistols and not so huge they will fill up with fifty pounds of random crap.  There are no doubt others in that size range too.  Slightly smaller, LAPG gave away some bags at a nationals that I use a lot more than expected.

I'm in the market as well.  My SC bag is falling apart and on it's 3rd shoulder strap.  What are you using Shred?

My 2nd G5 BP is below

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WQ55FMK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sold my 1st the end of '22 & went to this slightly diff. version & took out the foam gun cradle as I only shoot 1 pistola. Take a look @ the G5 store on Amazon & I also bought the G5 range tote for just shooting drills etc.

Edited by OldRunner

7 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

I'm in the market as well.  My SC bag is falling apart and on it's 3rd shoulder strap.  What are you using Shred?

My all-time favorite backpack was a 5.11 Rush 24 EMS backpack in bright red with the light gray interior (huge plus!, black sucks for finding stuff in bag interiors).  That thing rocked. 

These days for travel and locals I use a smaller tan 5.11 pack and added some Nalgene-size bottle holders to the Molle on either side.  Spare gun in a padded sleeve fits nicely in the hydration pouch pocket if you're going for full-snail mode far from the car, otherwise the trash bag for rain and knee pads live there.

8 hours ago, dapribek said:

This bag is no fun to carry. The side pockets make it too wide to use the carry handles and I just never use a shoulder strap because I’m not a fan. 

3 hours ago, shred said:

My all-time favorite backpack was a 5.11 Rush 24 EMS backpack in bright red with the light gray interior (huge plus!, black sucks for finding stuff in bag interiors).  That thing rocked. 

These days for travel and locals I use a smaller tan 5.11 pack and added some Nalgene-size bottle holders to the Molle on either side.  Spare gun in a padded sleeve fits nicely in the hydration pouch pocket if you're going for full-snail mode far from the car, otherwise the trash bag for rain and knee pads live there.

I will take a look.  I love 5.11.

I've been using this bag for several years.  https://www.amazon.com/G5-Outdoors-Tactical-Waterproof-Stain-Resistant/dp/B00CQ8G2RO/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1Z1IWWFZVA06F&keywords=gps+range+bag&qid=1688476632&sprefix=gps+range+bag%2Caps%2C65&sr=8-5

It holds everything I'll need at a match, and doesn't weigh a ton.  I do use the included gun holders for some guns.  For USPSA matches I put two Open guns in sleeves and a 6 mag pouch in the main compartment.  My ear muffs and shooting glasses case go it the main top compartment.  Suspenders, loader and ammo go in the middle.  Assorted stuff in the front.  Spare parts, tools, oil, etc, go in the lower front.  Haven't had to use the side pocket yet.  Plenty of room for 12 loaded mags.

18 hours ago, OldRunner said:

My 2nd G5 BP is below

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WQ55FMK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sold my 1st the end of '22 & went to this slightly diff. version & took out the foam gun cradle as I only shoot 1 pistola. Take a look @ the G5 store on Amazon & I also bought the G5 range tote for just shooting drills etc.

Great backpack.  Three pistols and their magazines fit nicely.  Two sets of ear pro and ammo.

• 2 weeks later...