Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fiber Optic?

hitman_usmc

I've been shooting 1911's in tactical operations for a while and i just got into IDPA. Of course i am going into CDP, but i need a new gun since my current KIMBER has a 610R that i don't want to take off all the time as well as other heavy mods. It'a also a good excuse just to get another 1911. I'm getting a new Springfield TRP mainly for IDPA. I've noticed on some of the pictures of other peoples CDP guns that fiber optic front sights are pretty common. I've never used anything on pistols other than standard and nite sights. Do fiber optic front sights help that much or are they just a fad in the sport? Is it worth taking the front nite sight off my TRP? If they truly do help, what is the avg. price range i'm looking at for purchase and installation of the sight? Thanks.

I use fibre optic sights for IDPA and think they help me on sight pickup.

I have a couple of the Brazos Lightning Rod sights, chosen because they have the longest insert and therefore brightest bead I could find for my guns. They do kick out the insert every once in a while, I found myself finishing a stage aiming with the hole in the blade on Tuesday. Maybe I need to improve my melting technique for better retention. They do too. The Dawson is said to be stronger because the insert lies against the bottom of the blade notch full length for some support, I dunno, haven't got one.

The Hi-Viz's spring latch looks flimsy but I have not kicked an insert out of that one yet.

The Brazos sight is $35 plus whatever your gunsmith charges to knock the old sight out of its dovetail and push in the new one.

You can explore the possibilities of colored sights with some model paint. I have several ramp sights painted Model Master Fluorescent Red over a white base coat and they are very prominent.

Fiber optic sights are good for daytime shooting. not worth a damn at night. would use fiber optic for gaming. But for concealed or duty weapon I would use your nights sights. Most situations(crimes) happen at night. So you need a sight that can do both. Since IDPA is supposed to be more "realistic" than other shooting sports, then use what you would normally use. Fiber optic sights is not a carry option for me, would not rely on a piece of fiber optic when my life is on the line. Murphy is alive and well. and what can go wrong, will go wrong. and that fiber optic will fall out when you need it most, or maybe it wont, but do you want to risk you life on a piece of equipment that could go wrong.

pk

I have tried the FO front sight and am now Back in Black.

I found the Fiber to be distracting from proper sight alignment and would have a tendency to "shoot the dot" instead of waiting for real alignment to occur.

Having said that, I have many rds thru an open gun and my brain may have been in dot mode, something that does not occur with black sights. many top shooters use FO front sights with great results...the only way to know is to try.

Does a buddy have an FO gun you can put some rds thru before commiting on your gun? That would be the best option.

SA

I tended to use the FO like a bead front sight on a shotgun. Cover up what I was shooting at with the bead and pull the trigger. This is good enough for close targets.

For precision shooting I like the old standard. Use the exact top, middle of the front sight. I have a Dawson FO that has never broken but so many rounds have been fired through it the FO is basically black and I don't plan on replacing the rod with something that distracts me again.

Rick

I've been shooting 1911's in tactical operations for a while and i just got into IDPA. Of course i am going into CDP, but i need a new gun since my current KIMBER has a 610R that i don't want to take off all the time as well as other heavy mods. It'a also a good excuse just to get another 1911. I'm getting a new Springfield TRP mainly for IDPA. I've noticed on some of the pictures of other peoples CDP guns that fiber optic front sights are pretty common. I've never used anything on pistols other than standard and nite sights. Do fiber optic front sights help that much or are they just a fad in the sport? Is it worth taking the front nite sight off my TRP? If they truly do help, what is the avg. price range i'm looking at for purchase and installation of the sight? Thanks.

Since you are starting as a relative newbie - go with what you are familiar with (plain or tritium). You can always upgrade later if you want. At this point I think it would be more important to learn the in/out of the game , imo.

FO sights are super > outdoors in bright daylight - not worth it indoors or at night/low light.

At least plain black sights are always the same , day or night. ;)

You can generally buy a FO front for under $50. A set for ~$100 +/- ( I have the new Dawson fixed rear/FO front set for a G17 for $85).

fwiw,

Mark

p.s,

what is a 610R ? A light ??

I did not like the fiber optics the last time I tried one, in 1999. I had a lot of trouble on long shots, my eye could not make out the top of the sight when precision was required.

I bought a hi vis for my new glock and will try it this spring, I might like it now, you never know.

I use black on all my guns now.

Ted

fwiw,

I tried the Yost-Bonitz (fixed) sites on the 17 before I went back to FO.

After filing the front down to where it was poa=poi , it was still to 'bulky' over what I was accustomed to. If they would have made a thinner front blade , I would have kept them.

M

The only answer is that you need to try it and find out for yourself. Some people love them and some hate them. It is a vision thing, and vision is different for everyone. It takes me a long time to do the mental switch between iron and fiber sights, but when I do my scores are higher with a fiber front sight. I switched back and forth a couple of times, but recently I let myself settle with the FO and I've been shooting some of my best cassifiers.

If you are worried about day/nite usage. TruGlow makes an interesting sight which is a FO sight with tritium under it, thus providing light for the FO at nite. I haven't tried them (they dont make them from my gun) but they do look interesting.

Personal preference. Use what you'll be familiar with on duty.

Having said that, I like Fiber Optic sights for fast close up targets, and converse to what is said above, Low-light conditions (morning/dusk/heavy overcast). I find the fiber is just enough to help me find the front sight quickly when its just to dim for a good black on black sight picture, or to bright for nightsights. For longer distance shots, and accuracy in general, I prefer plain black on black sights.

There are fiber optic sights that work in the day, and have a tritium insert to "glow" the fiber at night like a nightsite... maybe the best of both worlds, so you don't have to choose between nightsight or fiber optic. TruGlo is the maker.

http://www.truglo.com/content/prod_handgun...fiber_optic.asp

I don't see one for Springfield 1911 on the list though. :huh:

TruGlo doesn't show tritium/fiber-optic for Springfield 1911s... although they do for Kimbers.

I like these sights enough that I've put them on two Glocks and three SIGs. They're brighter than any other night sights I've had (SIGlights, Meps, Trijicons) and have the advantage of the bright green dot(s) in daylight.

Natchez has tended to have the best price I've found on them. Again, though... not available for the Springfield...

tritium_bright_sight.jpg

I like a FO front with a plain black rear. My G35 is set up where the large dot fills the rear notch. If I can see all of the dot I know the sights are aligned. I shoot it like a dot sight. At arms length the dot fills the rear.

post-1058-1135599877_thumb.jpg

Edited by Joe D

Using a fiber optic is a matter of personal preference. Some people I shoot with swear by them - and others swear at them. I guess you would have to try them for yourself to see if they help or not.

For me, they seem to permit quicker front sight acquisition, but they also make longer range accuracy a bit tougher - as stated by others.

I've found that with a FO front and plain rear works best for me...... It is faster on target and awsome on steel....... But I find that I'm less accurate.... I might try a smaller dot.

So with a FO............. I trade accuracy for speed :wacko: .

I use FO front sights on all of my competition handguns. With my eyes, it helps me pick up the front sight a lot quicker. I prefer a standard blade with the FO mounted in it to the big round overmolded HiViz sight. The overmold is great for close targets but is just too big for long shots where accuracy is more critical.

Even so, I shot a low light match last week using the HiViz overmolded front on my HP. I shot using the light in my support hand with my hands back to back. When I put the light on target, it absolutely lit up the FO sight so I saw a bright green dot on the target. Wasn't as fast as the guys playing with lasers but definitely didn't have a problem putting the front sight on target.

• 2 weeks later...