Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP-5 replacement trigger

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Just got my Jp5 and the trigger is not like my gmr13. That trigger was so perfect and I bought another EZ trigger that I had jp prep for my AR, also super nice trigger. The jp5 trigger is pretty good so I’m not trying to say it’s not. I don’t know it can be beat by a non jp Trigger and it seems options are limited anyway.

The jp5 with safety on I can feel movement in the trigger and I don’t see the set screw to eliminate that movement like the other safeties from jp. I also can make the trigger creep quite a bit which doesn’t seem very jp.

I am going to give jp a call but am mildly interested in what you guys are doing with this 3 gun trigger. My concern are the pins it comes with have that groove in them which means there is a wire inside the trigger barrel to retain the pins. Jp uses oversized pins and putting in mil spec pins means a wobbly pin and it will mess up the recover pin holes. That wire inside the trigger barrel won’t allow the jp pins to go in so using them I don’t think is possible. 

So how are you guys doing this?

Edited by brian45acp

Spoke to JP and all their component triggers work in the jp5. Sometimes they don’t prep and do all the polishing depending on production demand.

Jp makes amazing triggers so I’m going to pull this one and stone then polish per their vids. I’m going to reset the seer engagement and over travel screws as well. It just needs to be refined and some time spent on it.

14 hours ago, brian45acp said:

Spoke to JP and all their component triggers work in the jp5. Sometimes they don’t prep and do all the polishing depending on production demand.

??? JP actually said they take shortcuts if they get a little busy?  That doesn't sound like JP.  My trigger was nice, but it was about 1-1/2 lbs heavier than I like.  Nice break, nice reset, but too heavy.

Nolan

9 hours ago, Nolan said:

??? JP actually said they take shortcuts if they get a little busy?  That doesn't sound like JP.  My trigger was nice, but it was about 1-1/2 lbs heavier than I like.  Nice break, nice reset, but too heavy.

Nolan

Yeah....I agree with this...not something you want to hear on a $3400 gun!

Yeah I’m not happy. So I pulled the trigger and am more pissed. They put a short screw in the sear engagement collar that doesn’t even extend through the bottom. This is why I had so much creep because it was “fake adjusted”. From the top it looks like everything is fine until you remove the trigger and look underneath. Only the sear face of the trigger was polished but the disco, hammer hook, and hammer sear surface were not.

I have called them and they asked for pics via email which I sent. Of course they offer to send it in but now I’m without my rifle and have to deal with shipping via FFL. I can do the trigger myself but I shouldn’t have to. I don’t have the necessary screw to fix this trigger but for a different reason they already have some coming to me. Luckily I have a brand new EZ trigger from them I had bought a while back which I had them prep and polish. I hit it a bit more to really smooth it up and sill install this trigger today. I’m going to also install the adjustable safety because the one it came with wasn’t and had a little movement in the trigger with safety on which I don’t like. 

Both my gmr13’s are amazing so I am bothered by a clear effort to short cut on this jp5. Putting a fake screw is unacceptable. s#!t happens and I accept that but when someone made a clear effort to cut corners it angers me.

Edited by brian45acp

I think I’m being picky. I got my back up trigger installed and if I dink around with it enough I can get it to creep. So I tried my old triggers and they do it as well but a bit less. Of course they are well broken in.

Curious about they 3 gun trigger you guys talked about. But jp uses oversized pins so I’ve always figured that’s a no go because the other triggers use mil spec sized pins which are .002 smaller. Small pins in a large hole should mess up the frame over time.

So how are you guys using this 3 gun trigger?

2 hours ago, near15 said:

I just ended up using the JP pins with the SD3G.  No problems, works great.

Thank you.

So the oversized pins fit? Isn’t there a j clip inside the hammer to retain those oem

groove pins? 

the eclipse hyper fire has those j clips and I couldn’t get it out so that didn’t work out.

how do you like the trigger? I’ve got mine tuned pretty nice now which is the jp EZ trigger. I’ve not used 2 stage triggers but the light take up seems like it would be nice for pcc match long shots.

Edited by brian45acp

Got the trigger coming. Will the JP adjustable safety work with this trigger?

Did some more reading here and seems jp safety won’t work. I ordered the Geissele safety as I’m sure it works with their triggers.

Edited by brian45acp

I tested the JP pins in the SD3G before i installed it and they fit perfectly.  I just left in the J-hook and it works fine.  I do like the trigger better than the JP.  Seems like its about a pound lighter.  I put a Radian 45 degree safety in mine and it works great.

1 hour ago, near15 said:

I tested the JP pins in the SD3G before i installed it and they fit perfectly.  I just left in the J-hook and it works fine.  I do like the trigger better than the JP.  Seems like its about a pound lighter.  I put a Radian 45 degree safety in mine and it works great.

Sounds good. I bought the Geissele safety so I don’t have any worry of it working. 

Is that J hook removable? I guess all it’s going to do is rub on the pin so with some grease in there will be fine. 

Shot my jp EZ trigger today and it feels really nice but I’m looking to see how much faster I can be with this Geissele trigger.

Just wanted to let you guys know jp

took care of me. The set screw is a “plug” so they did not cut corners or anything. The polishing may have been skipped but also they changed methods and it may have been prepped but then refinished. Either way it’s all

good and I was taken care of in the end.

Not to beat a dead horse but I don't get how the SD-3G will fit or work. According to Geissele, they say it won't work but all over the internet, it looks like people are making them work/fit. The JP-5 trigger area is narrower than a traditional AR15.

What am I missing? Is it as simple as just putting it in or is modification needed? I dont care about warranty or anything like that but also don't want to spend another 200 bucks for something that isn't going to fit. 

4 minutes ago, seako_916 said:

What am I missing? Is it as simple as just putting it in or is modification needed? I dont care about warranty or anything like that but also don't want to spend another 200 bucks for something that isn't going to fit. 

Geissele is not going to claim it works as they do not want the push back if there are issue, which seems there is in regards to pin size.  If they said their triggers work in JP5 and the receiver was then damaged by using undersized pins then they would possibly be liable for those damaged receivers.  

It would seem any normal 2-piece AR trigger and the ability to fit into the JP5 receiver.  The issue is when you have aftermarket cassette type triggers or triggers like the Hiperfire triggers with the additional springs on top will not fit due to the ejector system in the JP5 lower receiver.  

1 hour ago, Boomstick303 said:

Geissele is not going to claim it works as they do not want the push back if there are issue, which seems there is in regards to pin size.  If they said their triggers work in JP5 and the receiver was then damaged by using undersized pins then they would possibly be liable for those damaged receivers.  

It would seem any normal 2-piece AR trigger and the ability to fit into the JP5 receiver.  The issue is when you have aftermarket cassette type triggers or triggers like the Hiperfire triggers with the additional springs on top will not fit due to the ejector system in the JP5 lower receiver.  

thanks, Ill pick up a SD-3G and give it a shot. If it doesn't work, Im sure it will work in other things I have that I wouldn't mind. 

Just fyi all the jp triggers work so long as they aren’t modules. There is plenty of space in there for component triggers which is what this sd3g trigger looks like. 

Mine arrives Monday so I’ll play with it. The guys here confirmed jp pins will work so that’s all I was concerned about. I don’t want to be using smaller pins than what we’re originally in the jp. This has always been a pain after using jp pins/triggers but settling on jp

triggers isn’t settling either way. So if you have to stay jp no big deal. 

The won’t work in pcc part I heard is due to burst fire because the recoil in pcc is more than AR. Also bolt design of pcc is different. But the jp5 is different and while it is pcc the bolt is much different and the bump firing shouldn’t happen.

Edited by brian45acp

Installed the SD3G trigger using jp pins and it’s a no go for me. The retaining clip inside the hammer pin hole needs to use the stock grooved pin. Using the jp pin causes pressure on the pin and with each hammer follow the pin rotates in the frame hole. In time this will wear out the hole.

Measuring the jp pins vs the Geissele pins they are nearly identical but I’m too scared to go to a smaller pin. JP advertises their pins as .156 but I measure .1555 and the geissele I measure .1550 so they are probably fine to use but my ocd doesn’t like it lol.

The trigger isn’t good feeling anyway but just in dry fire that reset is fast as hell. No really defined wall or anything you would say “that is a nice trigger” but I understand it’s purpose is speed and it’s that and feels good enough.

Going to stick to jp trigger and pins. 

• 2 months later...
On 7/25/2023 at 8:37 AM, brian45acp said:

Jp makes amazing triggers so I’m going to pull this one and stone then polish per their vids. I’m going to reset the seer engagement and over travel screws as well. It just needs to be refined and some time spent on it.

On 7/25/2023 at 10:58 PM, Nolan said:

Nolan

On 7/26/2023 at 8:58 AM, mrvip27 said:

Yeah....I agree with this...not something you want to hear on a $3400 gun!

On 7/27/2023 at 7:22 AM, brian45acp said:

Yeah I’m not happy. So I pulled the trigger and am more pissed. They put a short screw in the sear engagement collar that doesn’t even extend through the bottom. This is why I had so much creep because it was “fake adjusted”. From the top it looks like everything is fine until you remove the trigger and look underneath. Only the sear face of the trigger was polished but the disco, hammer hook, and hammer sear surface were not.

I have called them and they asked for pics via email which I sent. Of course they offer to send it in but now I’m without my rifle and have to deal with shipping via FFL. I can do the trigger myself but I shouldn’t have to. I don’t have the necessary screw to fix this trigger but for a different reason they already have some coming to me. Luckily I have a brand new EZ trigger from them I had bought a while back which I had them prep and polish. I hit it a bit more to really smooth it up and sill install this trigger today. I’m going to also install the adjustable safety because the one it came with wasn’t and had a little movement in the trigger with safety on which I don’t like. 

Both my gmr13’s are amazing so I am bothered by a clear effort to short cut on this jp5. Putting a fake screw is unacceptable. s#!t happens and I accept that but when someone made a clear effort to cut corners it angers me.

I can assure you that no parts are ever skipped in prep or skimped out on. Every trigger, hammer and disconnecter has a prep process and trigger feel can vary from builder to builder. As for the short rear screw, that’s installed as a plug screw not a fake screw. That rear hole is for “pro” installs which is something you can do yourself if you get the kit but won’t be built unless specified due to very light triggers (2lbs) and safety. Hope that helps.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/10/2023 at 5:46 PM, Crazen14 said:

I can assure you that no parts are ever skipped in prep or skimped out on. Every trigger, hammer and disconnecter has a prep process and trigger feel can vary from builder to builder. As for the short rear screw, that’s installed as a plug screw not a fake screw. That rear hole is for “pro” installs which is something you can do yourself if you get the kit but won’t be built unless specified due to very light triggers (2lbs) and safety. Hope that helps.

What is this kit you speak of?  I looked on their site and didn't see anything about "pro" installs or a kit for it?  I must have missed it?

Thank you.

On 5/14/2023 at 3:00 PM, Boomstick303 said:

The JP5 does not work with any cassette type of trigger due to the orientation of their ejector. 

This is not correct.  I put in a Timney AR-15 Competition 3 lb trigger (667S-ST) and it works really well.  The slope on the cassette allows it to fit.

I have an extra one for sale here if anyone is looking to use anything else other than the Geissele:

Edited by telligentgunner