Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 1100 clunk

I am feeling like there’s something problematic in my 1100 when actuating the handle. Whenever I reload and have a full shellplate as I move the handle down everything works smoothly. However as I slowly bring it up, it moves a few inches and it stops and I have to force it up making a clunk sound and I feel resistance somewhere in the press. I am able to reload fine but this clunk got to go. Any ideas?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, ColoradoNick said:

My Hornady LnL also does this. Is there a fix? 

The first suspect when this happens is the powder funnel.

The brass sticks to the funnel.
New brass or wet tumbled squeaky clean brass can exacerbate the issue.

It can be annoying but on my 650 I just power through the stick.

There are aftermarket powder funnels for Dillon machines that can help quite a bit.

I don't know if they are available for Hornady.

Does it happen with a full shell plate except for the powder-drop station? 

Try all the stations one at a time-- load up a full shellplate then pull the case about to be sized and crank the empty pocket through each station with cases in all the others.

11 hours ago, ColoradoNick said:

My Hornady LnL also does this. Is there a fix? I lube cases already and am using range brass. 

I do not think the LnL has enough stations to fix it using dies.  On the Dillon 1050 and/or 1100 you have the ability to add an expander die above the swaging station.  This slightly expands the mouth of the case before it reaches the powder funnel.  This die has been discussed in other threads.  If you perform two passes for pistol brass in your LnL, 1st pass to process and the second pass to load, you could expand the mouth when processing during the first pass.  Otherwise the only other thing I could think you could do is polish for powder funnel.  

Might want to try just two or three spritzes of lube while they are in the case feeder with a lanolin based lube.  It's not much over two or three hundred cases, but it will smooth things out.  A little lube makes most things better.

Some videos… Seems like a mechanical issue. It does it sparingly…WDYT 

Videos were too long so I couldn’t just post them here. I had to link them online…

The funnel that is in the powder measure appears to be the "powder measure activator" funnel.

In my experience that funnel is typically used when the case mount has been previously expanded.

If that is true than I'm a little puzzled by your setup...

10 minutes ago, Chapo said:

hum, now you me thinking ddc!  But I think that funnel has a flare to it.

@ChapoHaven't had time to review your videos; but does your funnel bottom look like either of the two on the left in this photo?

Powder Funnels.png

That is the correct powder funnel for the 1100 since the case gets expanded during the swaging, the die in that station is a backup expanding die.

As far as the clunking goes, no idea, never seen it happen during crimp since all that die is doing is removing a little belling.

Edited by mveto

How many rounds since you last cleaned/maintained your press?

Are you cleaning your dies?  If you do not clean your dies, it can create sticky dies.  

I make cleaning my dies part of the maintenance cycle of the press (break down and lubing of the press).  I just take the tops off of the dies and run a bore snake through the dies.   

Something else to note the clunk can be a combination of things.  From the two videos you might have something going on in both your de-capping die and your crimping die.  

Edited by Boomstick303

7 minutes ago, mveto said:

As far as the clunking goes, no idea, never seen it happen during crimp since all that die is doing is removing a little belling.

Have a friend that's an engineer with Redding Reloading.  At one time I was experiencing sticking/thumping from my 9mm Micrometer Taper Crimp Die.  Here was his reply and fix:

Do you happen to have a lathe or have a buddy with a lathe or even a drill press with a large chuck?  if you did, you could chuck the inner sleeve and spin it and give it a good polish with some 320 (or finer) paper on a wooden dowel.  I believe that a good polish and maybe work the mouth a bit to give it a good radius would make all the difference in the world.  The inner sleeves are hardened so it might take a little elbow grease.

👍

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp

12 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

How many rounds since you last cleaned/maintained your press?

Are you cleaning your dies?  If you do not clean your dies, it can create sticky dies.  

I make cleaning my dies part of the maintenance cycle of the press (break down and lubing of the press).  I just take the tops off of the dies and run a bore snake through the dies.   

Something else to note the clunk can be a combination of things.  From the two videos you might have something going on in both your de-capping die and your crimping die.  

Cleaned it very recently, but not the dies....will try cleaning them, but specifically the crimp die.

Hogrider, thanks for the detailed response.  Will def try that.