Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 in a ultrasonic parts cleaner

ColoradoNick

I’m looking at investing in an ultrasonic cleaner. I’ve never used one before so I’m looking for advice both in model recommendations and whether you thought your purchase was worth it.

With the amount of ammo I’ve been shooting lately I’ve been disassembling everything but the hammer and sear cage about once a month. Removing the grips and dropping the frame minus slide into an ultrasonic parts cleaner seems like a much easier process. I’m afraid I’m going to lose a detent or detent spring the way I have been doing it. Thoughts? What’s your process?

Edited by ColoradoNick

1 hour ago, ColoradoNick said:

I’m looking at investing in an ultrasonic cleaner. I’ve never used one before so I’m looking for advice both in model recommendations and whether you thought your purchase was worth it.

With the amount of ammo I’ve been shooting lately I’ve been disassembling everything but the hammer and sear cage about once a month. Removing the grips and dropping the frame minus slide into an ultrasonic parts cleaner seems like a much easier process. I’m afraid I’m going to lose a detent or detent spring the way I have been doing it. Thoughts? What’s your process?

If you do do it, make sure you clean/dry out the firing pin channel and under the sights. Ultrasonic cleaning strips lots of oils and can lead to rusting. 

I don’t think I have ever done such a super detail clean and I think it might be unnecessary. Maybe after 2-3 matches, I’d do a boresnake and some light cleaning to make sure the trigger bar and sear are working smoothly. And maybe once a year or before a major match I’d tear down everything on my SP-01 to give it a once over deep clean with fresh new springs. 

Just now, SouperMan said:

If you do do it, make sure you clean/dry out the firing pin channel and under the sights. Ultrasonic cleaning strips lots of oils and can lead to rusting. 

I don’t think I have ever done such a super detail clean and I think it might be unnecessary. Maybe after 2-3 matches, I’d do a boresnake and some light cleaning to make sure the trigger bar and sear are working smoothly. And maybe once a year or before a major match I’d tear down everything on my SP-01 to give it a once over deep clean with fresh new springs. 

Really? I'm getting a TON of build up around the trigger bow and down by the trigger spring. Afraid it's going to cause problems. I wasn't planning on doing any of the slide or barrel even. 

I have a large ultra sonic cleaner.  I have used it on my Glocks multiple times. The most important bit of wisdom that I can give is, to make sure the solution is HOT, then use compressed air to blow any remaining moisture out of the nooks and crannies, then oil.  The hot metal will cause most if not all of the moisture to evaporate.

I just picked up my CZ, so I don't know if I'd be brave enough to dunk it just yet.  I haven't learned where all of the crevices are. 

I have been thinking of this also, with multiple guns, and me and my son shooting, it is a lot of work to do the tare down and rebuild thing. Mostly for the lowers. 

I have a RCBS ultrasonic cleaner that use for all of my handguns.  CZ Parrot, Shadow 2 Orange, revolvers, Glocks, and several 1911s.  I use the purple Simple Green cleaner.  Like the others have said, let it get hot, rinse it off, blow it dry and re-oil it. I disassemble the gun and put the whole thing in there (no grips).  Been doing it for years

7 minutes ago, BadShot said:

I have a RCBS ultrasonic cleaner that use for all of my handguns.  CZ Parrot, Shadow 2 Orange, revolvers, Glocks, and several 1911s.  I use the purple Simple Green cleaner.  Like the others have said, let it get hot, rinse it off, blow it dry and re-oil it. I disassemble the gun and put the whole thing in there (no grips).  Been doing it for years

How long do you keep it in for?

With the typical small consumer ultrasonics you need to do some brushing & wiping IME.  The big boys you don't want to stick your fingers in when they're running take stuff off a lot better.

40 minutes ago, shred said:

With the typical small consumer ultrasonics you need to do some brushing & wiping IME.  The big boys you don't want to stick your fingers in when they're running take stuff off a lot better.

I’m also shooting titegroup… care to recommend a brand of ultrasonic cleaner?

I have been using an ultrasonic parts cleaner on my cz’s  and every metal parts of my fireams that will fit my cleaner for a couple of years now. For my cz’s, I just remove the slide and grip. Heat up the solution and go for 30mins in the ultrasonic cleaner. Wipe off the solution after cleaning.

I use Lucas ultrasonic gun cleaner solution.

Petroleum based so no worries of rusting. 
Have not tried Lucas on polymer frames, so no idea of the effect on polymer frames.

26 minutes ago, Stmark73 said:

I have been using an ultrasonic parts cleaner on my cz’s  and every metal parts of my fireams that will fit my cleaner for a couple of years now. For my cz’s, I just remove the slide and grip. Heat up the solution and go for 30mins in the ultrasonic cleaner. Wipe off the solution after cleaning.

I use Lucas ultrasonic gun cleaner solution.

Petroleum based so no worries of rusting. 
Have not tried Lucas on polymer frames, so no idea of the effect on polymer frames.

Thanks for the info! What ultrasonic cleaner are you using?

I just got the generic ultrasonic cleaner with a sweep function. If you’re going to get an ultrasonic cleaner, get a stainless tub without a drain especially if you are going to use the Lucas solution and leave it in the cleaner indefinitely

9 hours ago, ColoradoNick said:

I’m also shooting titegroup… care to recommend a brand of ultrasonic cleaner?

I have a Hornady off a prize table at a match somewhere years ago for gun stuff.  Works ok but nothing magic.  Looks a lot like the Harbor Freight and a raft of other Chinese clones.  The shop has a cubic-foot industrial model for doing parts and gauges and such.

That said I shoot many thousands of rounds through my CZs or Tanfos before detailed cleaning without issue.

21 minutes ago, shred said:

I have a Hornady off a prize table at a match somewhere years ago for gun stuff.  Works ok but nothing magic.  Looks a lot like the Harbor Freight and a raft of other Chinese clones.  The shop has a cubic-foot industrial model for doing parts and gauges and such.

That said I shoot many thousands of rounds through my CZs or Tanfos before detailed cleaning without issue.

I’ve been shooting a couple thousand rounds a month lately and next month it’s looking like it‘ll be double that. I have a backup gun but something that would clean the frame 2-3 times quickly would be really nice!

I eroded the finish on my CZ TS while ultrasonically cleaning.  Now I spray the insides with Remington Action Cleaner.  It does a great job of blasting out crud.  Shake it out, let dry and lube.  Compressed air makes the job easier.

I've cleaned my CZs multiple times in an ultrasonic cleaner. For cleaning solution I recommend:

1. Simple Green Pro HD (purple)
  2. Distilled Water
  3. A 5:1 ratio of Distilled Water to Simple Green