Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Muscles or OPP?

louu

No sure how to ask this but I'm a decent normal gun shoooter, A class in limited. Always shoot 2011's with awesome triggers. 

Fast forward to yesterday I got my first revolver a brand new stock 627. I shot 100 rounds through it with a little dry fire in there. About 3/4 the way through shooting it my trigger finger and the guts in my arm that make the finger work started really hurting. Woke up today and it feels terrible. I shot a match today in limited like always and did absolutely terrible, probably the worst match I ever shot. 

Is it because I have Old People Problems or is it because I never really used these muscles like this before? If it's not arthritis is it possible to develop the muscles to pull this trigger or does shooting a revolver always make your arm and hand hurt? Will it ruin me for shooting light trigger guns? 

I am pretty busted up I raced motocross for 12 years, got a bad back, wrists, knees. Been a boilermaker for 15 years, not really nice to my body. 42 years old 6 foot 225 lbs. 

Very interesting.

What’s the trigger weight? If it’s bone stock and the weight is 12-14lbs I think this sounds correct to have a tired finger and hand- especially if you’re coming from single action land.

I experienced finger/forearm fatigue a lot when I started shooting revolver. Hands/fingers/ forearms got used to it and stronger because if it, and I work with my hands for a living. 

If it was me, I’d keep doing it, but spread out the dryfire reps so it wasn’t all together at one time. Couple mins here and there throughout the day until the strength built. If you wanted to get good at revolver and shoot it regularly I would not drop it and pick it up, that will probably cause the same pain.

Yes, your single action shooting will get better by spending time with a revolver. 

Edited by MWP

10 hours ago, MWP said:

Couple mins here and there throughout the day until the strength built.

Your wife will love the random *click click click* which erupts on the hour every waking hour.  

Ask me how I know...

:)

Your hand will get stronger.  I've had to restart over the last two years. A horse kicked me in my support hand thumb and damaged the insertion of the extensor tendon. I couldn't grip well. Once I got passed that, I knocked a chunk of bone off in my trainer finger joint were it joins the hand. I couldn't pull the trigger at all without pain.

STarting slow helps. The thing which has helped the most is self message, and stretching multiple times a day. If you look up stretches for carpal tunnel and De Quirven syndrome, you'll have a base line.

Another contributing factor for me was the lack of Federal primers.  In order to shoot I had to use whatever was available ( CCI, Guinex) the extra poundage really didn't help .  A good trigger job might help ease your hands into the Revo world. 

POwer lifters don't start out with 600 lbs dead lifts!

Jason

Edited by Makicjf

9 hours ago, louu said:

I am pretty busted up I raced motocross for 12 years, got a bad back, wrists, knees. Been a boilermaker for 15 years, not really nice to my body. 42 years old 6 foot 225 lbs. 

42 is old? 

Ha ha, you funny guy Joe. 

Wait about 20, you'll feel much better, and your wife will "love" you more

(Don't tell him guys, let him find out on his own)

10 hours ago, louu said:

No sure how to ask this but I'm a decent normal gun shoooter, A class in limited. Always shoot 2011's with awesome triggers. 

Fast forward to yesterday I got my first revolver a brand new stock 627. I shot 100 rounds through it with a little dry fire in there. About 3/4 the way through shooting it my trigger finger and the guts in my arm that make the finger work started really hurting. Woke up today and it feels terrible. I shot a match today in limited like always and did absolutely terrible, probably the worst match I ever shot. 

Is it because I have Old People Problems or is it because I never really used these muscles like this before? If it's not arthritis is it possible to develop the muscles to pull this trigger or does shooting a revolver always make your arm and hand hurt? Will it ruin me for shooting light trigger guns? 

Lou:

Hard to say if it is tendonitis or simple soreness due to overwork.  To me, should not have happened with a hundred trigger pulls plus a few dry fires.  Or at least it should have mostly gone away by the next day.  Bad wrists from motocross probably contributes.

If it were me, I would use an analgesic, probably a wrap, and do a little dry firing each day to see if the pain subsides.  Maybe ice it down a couple times a day too.  If the pain does not go away, see a doc or PA.

I rarely get wrist, hand, or forearm pain because of my exercise program.  Dead lifts and Farmers Carry are pretty good ways to strengthen hands, wrists, and forearms.  Still do them and I am 67.  Also do some exercises with the steel mace that are pretty decent for forearms, wrists, and hands.

Tough injury to deal with.  I wish you the best with your recovery!

GG

Edited by gargoil66

12 hours ago, louu said:

I'm 51, 6' and 220. I raced Harescrambles and MX. Just like guns I was C class forever :). Damn sandbaggers LOL. 

When I got into shooting I had a lot of issues with my fingers. I have broken a few over the years and had to have surgery to repair my left thumb (I am right handed). The arthritis in my fingers and wrist is worse than in my ankles (which I had also broke). After a match my ankles and fingers all hurt. Right shoulder too (yep, broke the shoulder blade and damaged the shoulder too). 

I have gotten lucky racing and have had a lot less broken things than most.

I would use some Voltaren when using the revolver until you strengthen your hand and fingers for that type of grip. The holding on to handlebars made grip easy with a gun but I always gripped softer with the handlebars so my fingers would hurt as I got used to having to grip harder with the gun. My trigger finger suffered because I was using the rest of my fingers to grip harder and I didn't practice right either. Solved that by not practicing :)

My guess (take it for what it is worth which isn't much) is it is possible with the new grip of the revolver and heavier trigger pull your muscles are having to adjust all together in you hand. 

I bet it will get better but probably always have some issue or another, especially 10 years from now.

Good luck. Braaap!!

I will find out soon, there was one guy shooting a revolver at the April match, I said that if he brings it back, I will shoot mine.  So there will be dry fire, live fire, and match to transition from automatics for a while.  I will spread out the practice, though.  

Thanks for the acronym, OPP fits so well.  

You might try a RevupAction.com drop in hammer kit. The trigger pull gets easier as you pull it back, down to about single action weight by the end. The rebound spring is all you're pulling against by the end, so whatever rebound spring you have in there is the ending pull weight. That will be around 2.5 to 5 pounds of trigger pull. The beginning pull is whatever the mainspring is set at to fire the primers. There are videos of it on the website.

I also invented a way to shoot other than Federal primers in a tuned revolver. I have done Winchester and CCI, so Remington would probably work too. I don't know what any of the foreign brands are like.

Edited by Toolguy

On 4/22/2023 at 10:32 PM, MWP said:

Very interesting.

What’s the trigger weight? If it’s bone stock and the weight is 12-14lbs I think this sounds correct to have a tired finger and hand- especially if you’re coming from single action land.

I experienced finger/forearm fatigue a lot when I started shooting revolver. Hands/fingers/ forearms got used to it and stronger because if it, and I work with my hands for a living. 

If it was me, I’d keep doing it, but spread out the dryfire reps so it wasn’t all together at one time. Couple mins here and there throughout the day until the strength built. If you wanted to get good at revolver and shoot it regularly I would not drop it and pick it up, that will probably cause the same pain.

Yes, your single action shooting will get better by spending time with a revolver. 

Yeah it's bone stock straight out of the box. After reading all these posts I think I'll stick with it, just slowly  every couple of days a little bit. The pain has really subsided by Monday morning. 

On 4/23/2023 at 7:44 AM, Makicjf said:

Your wife will love the random *click click click* which erupts on the hour every waking hour.  

Ask me how I know...

:)

Your hand will get stronger.  I've had to restart over the last two years. A horse kicked me in my support hand thumb and damaged the insertion of the extensor tendon. I couldn't grip well. Once I got passed that, I knocked a chunk of bone off in my trainer finger joint were it joins the hand. I couldn't pull the trigger at all without pain.

STarting slow helps. The thing which has helped the most is self message, and stretching multiple times a day. If you look up stretches for carpal tunnel and De Quirven syndrome, you'll have a base line.

Another contributing factor for me was the lack of Federal primers.  In order to shoot I had to use whatever was available ( CCI, Guinex) the extra poundage really didn't help .  A good trigger job might help ease your hands into the Revo world. 

POwer lifters don't start out with 600 lbs dead lifts!

Jason

Thanks I'll watch some YouTube videos. 

On 4/23/2023 at 8:44 AM, zombywoof said:

Trigger job???

Maybe. I kinda don't want to do all that work to this gun I'm hearing the learning curve is steep and I don't want to pay a hundred bucks for a box of primers. Just Wana use the ones I already have 

On 4/23/2023 at 8:46 AM, gargoil66 said:

Lou:

Hard to say if it is tendonitis or simple soreness due to overwork.  To me, should not have happened with a hundred trigger pulls plus a few dry fires.  Or at least it should have mostly gone away by the next day.  Bad wrists from motocross probably contributes.

If it were me, I would use an analgesic, probably a wrap, and do a little dry firing each day to see if the pain subsides.  Maybe ice it down a couple times a day too.  If the pain does not go away, see a doc or PA.

I rarely get wrist, hand, or forearm pain because of my exercise program.  Dead lifts and Farmers Carry are pretty good ways to strengthen hands, wrists, and forearms.  Still do them and I am 67.  Also do some exercises with the steel mace that are pretty decent for forearms, wrists, and hands.

Tough injury to deal with.  I wish you the best with your recovery!

GG

Thanks man it was way better by Monday morning. 

On 4/23/2023 at 10:46 AM, truespode said:

I'm 51, 6' and 220. I raced Harescrambles and MX. Just like guns I was C class forever :). Damn sandbaggers LOL. 

When I got into shooting I had a lot of issues with my fingers. I have broken a few over the years and had to have surgery to repair my left thumb (I am right handed). The arthritis in my fingers and wrist is worse than in my ankles (which I had also broke). After a match my ankles and fingers all hurt. Right shoulder too (yep, broke the shoulder blade and damaged the shoulder too). 

I have gotten lucky racing and have had a lot less broken things than most.

I would use some Voltaren when using the revolver until you strengthen your hand and fingers for that type of grip. The holding on to handlebars made grip easy with a gun but I always gripped softer with the handlebars so my fingers would hurt as I got used to having to grip harder with the gun. My trigger finger suffered because I was using the rest of my fingers to grip harder and I didn't practice right either. Solved that by not practicing :)

My guess (take it for what it is worth which isn't much) is it is possible with the new grip of the revolver and heavier trigger pull your muscles are having to adjust all together in you hand. 

I bet it will get better but probably always have some issue or another, especially 10 years from now.

Good luck. Braaap!!

Thanks man I'm going to stick with it for a little while 

On 4/23/2023 at 10:58 AM, Jim Watson said:

I will find out soon, there was one guy shooting a revolver at the April match, I said that if he brings it back, I will shoot mine.  So there will be dry fire, live fire, and match to transition from automatics for a while.  I will spread out the practice, though.  

Thanks for the acronym, OPP fits so well.  

Let me know how you make out 

On 4/23/2023 at 12:17 PM, Toolguy said:

You might try a RevupAction.com drop in hammer kit. The trigger pull gets easier as you pull it back, down to about single action weight by the end. The rebound spring is all you're pulling against by the end, so whatever rebound spring you have in there is the ending pull weight. That will be around 2.5 to 5 pounds of trigger pull. The beginning pull is whatever the mainspring is set at to fire the primers. There are videos of it on the website.

I also invented a way to shoot other than Federal primers in a tuned revolver. I have done Winchester and CCI, so Remington would probably work too. I don't know what any of the foreign brands are like.

Thanks I'll check out the videos 

You may have noticed that your grip with the revolver and strain on your trigger finger is entirely different than with your 2011.  With the Revo trigger, pull weight and that long pull and release you don’t have with a 2011 trigger.  Dry fire for a while and you’ll see it takes some effort and you’ll have strain all the way to your shoulder. I notice it because I only shoot Revo occasionally,  you’ll get used to it quick though.  What helps with a revolver is something that gets talked about allot,  grip…  Its really important to keep that strong hand grip as loose as possible and grip like hell with the support hand.  It will help allot to eliminate the strain.  Try it in dryfire for about 20 trigger pulls as fast as you can with your strong hand grip light and super tight and you’ll see the difference real quick…

Edited by NoSteel

2 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

Revo shooting for me is brutal on the support hand elbow.

Yo Mike:

Man, that sounds weird.  Can see forearms and wrist but not the elbow.

What do you think is going on?

GG

13 hours ago, NoSteel said:

You may have noticed that your grip with the revolver and strain on your trigger finger is entirely different than with you 2011.  With the Revo trigger, pull weight and that long pull and release you don’t have with a 2011 trigger.  Dry fire for a while and you’ll see it takes some effort and you’ll have strain all the way to your shoulder. I notice it because I only shoot Revo occasionally,  you’ll get used to it quick though.  What helps with a revolver is something that gets talked about allot,  grip…  Its really important to keep that strong hand grip as loose as possible and grip like hell with the support hand.  It will help allot to eliminate the strain.  Try it in dryfire for about 20 trigger pulls as fast as you can with your strong hand grip light and super tight and you’ll see the difference real quick…

Thanks I'll give it a try tomorrow 

I have a fix for you, louu.  Make up six moonclips or speedloaders with dummy rounds.  Put on all your shooting gear and head to your dry firing area.  Draw and shoot as fast as you can, but only accept "A" hits.  You are an A class shooter, so you know how to call your shots.  Go through all six moonclips reloading at speed.  However, if you shoot a shot that is NOT an alpha stop.  Holster, put your dummy rounds back on your belt.  Now draw, transfer to your weak hand, shoot, reload using your other hand and stop when you call a bad shot.  If you make it through all 36 or 48 trigger pulls with good alpha hits switch hands and repeat as desired.