Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Go-to budget optic for CO?

Leozinho

Is there a consensus on a budget RDS for dipping the toe into CO?  I'd prefer a ~6 moa dot but read good things about Holosun's 8 moa circle, though I think it might be discontinued.  Having never shot a dot on a pistol, I would think the bigger the window the better.

Or is the answer find a used SRO?

I rarely get to shoot anymore and might be a while before I get to get back into USPSA, so not keen on spending a lot.  But a dot would be fun to play around with on the occasional range trip.

Thanks. 

I would recommend the Holosun 407c or 507c…dot is smaller at 2moa but is plenty bright for gun games. I wanted an RMR footprint just in case I need a backup for my SRO installed on my CZ. 

I also recently tried the cheaper Primary Arms classic series dot. The window is smaller and the dot is useless when it’s bright and sunny outdoors. 

I've picked up a handful of DeltaPoint Pros at/under $300 on the used market. If you can find the Holosuns cheaper than that (I've gotten a few 407c's for under $220), then go with the Holla-sun, but DPPs are pretty great. The adjustment button is a little annoying, but the window is nice and large.

Just catch an SRO on sale. They got a funky warranty so you may not want a used one. But if you keep an eye out you can get a new one for about four and a half.

If I was looking for a real budget one I would probably end up with a vortex venom. Or maybe a burris fastfire 4. Both have super quick turnarounds apparently, but I haven't had to use one yet. To be honest I'm not sure I've seen The Burris fastfire 4 in real life. But the threes seemed somewhat durable with a great warranty and the four seems to have bigger glass

But comparing my venom to my SRO, there is no comparison

Palmetto has an exclusive Holosun, the 407A. The body and lens is the same as the 407/507C, except it doesn't have the solar panels on top. The dot is a 3moa in red. It sells out quickly, but when they have them they are $179. I put one on a co-worker's gun, and compared it to my 407C-GR. Dot is bright enough for a sunny day on a CO gun. I'd get this if I needed a cheap "good enough" dot.

52 minutes ago, Aar0n_K said:

You really can't go wrong with the 507C. The dot alone is only 2MOA but if/when needed you can change it to the 8MOA circle around the dot as well. 

I think that’s only for the upcoming 507Comp

On 4/11/2023 at 5:52 PM, WildPete said:

Atibal CRD 3 or 6 MOA. Military discount and lifetime warranty. Just make sure you keep the sight tool that comes with 

Never heard of it but will check it out. Thanks. 

On 4/11/2023 at 1:35 PM, VeilAndrew said:

I've picked up a handful of DeltaPoint Pros at/under $300 on the used market. If you can find the Holosuns cheaper than that (I've gotten a few 407c's for under $220), then go with the Holla-sun, but DPPs are pretty great. The adjustment button is a little annoying, but the window is nice and large.

I like the idea of a Leopold for under $300.  Besides classifieds here, where are you finding optics used online.   Are there buy/sell groups on FB? Or are you just looking on other gun forums?

On 4/11/2023 at 5:52 PM, WildPete said:

Atibal CRD 3 or 6 MOA. Military discount and lifetime warranty. Just make sure you keep the sight tool that comes with it. 

On 4/12/2023 at 7:32 AM, OPENB said:

Palmetto has an exclusive Holosun, the 407A. The body and lens is the same as the 407/507C, except it doesn't have the solar panels on top. The dot is a 3moa in red. It sells out quickly, but when they have them they are $179. I put one on a co-worker's gun, and compared it to my 407C-GR. Dot is bright enough for a sunny day on a CO gun. I'd get this if I needed a cheap "good enough" dot.

Good suggestion. Submitted a Notify Me when back in stock. 

16 hours ago, 42ATK said:

You sure? I don’t see that on the product pages nor my own 507Cs

https://holosun.com/products/reflex-sight/507.html

I think a 407k had a 6MOA green dot but 2MOA dot 8MOA circle I can’t find anywhere on non-507Comp optics

There was a 407c with a 8moa  circle (not dot) but its discontinued. It shows up on a lot of vendor's websites but is always out of stock/discontinued.  I think it would have been a good option. 

27 minutes ago, Leozinho said:

I like the idea of a Leopold for under $300.  Besides classifieds here, where are you finding optics used online.   Are there buy/sell groups on FB? Or are you just looking on other gun forums?

I've primarily done a lot of business through the GunAccessoriesForSale subreddit on Reddit. I've picked up two of my DPPs from there.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/11/2023 at 2:24 PM, Leozinho said:

Is there a consensus on a budget RDS for dipping the toe into CO?  I'd prefer a ~6 moa dot but read good things about Holosun's 8 moa circle, though I think it might be discontinued.  Having never shot a dot on a pistol, I would think the bigger the window the better.

Or is the answer find a used SRO?

I rarely get to shoot anymore and might be a while before I get to get back into USPSA, so not keen on spending a lot.  But a dot would be fun to play around with on the occasional range trip.

Thanks. 

A used SRO would be your best bet if your looking for biggest glass. A cheaper and smaller glass option would be  Holosun 508T or 509T.