Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New MPA DS9 Limited Optics Comp!

HOGRIDER

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

Ah so the stainless grip is part of the price increase.  I think I would prefer an Aluminum grip for the 9 mm platform.  

After visiting MPA, I feel confident you could request a swap to the Aluminum grip.  They are very accommodating......

😉

1 minute ago, HOGRIDER said:

After visiting MPA, I feel confident you could request a swap to the Aluminum grip.  They are very accommodating......

😉

You could probably just order one of the "regular" DS 9 Hybrids and pick the setup you want....but I like the lack of front sight on this model.  

I also think the AL grip and a steel magwell is the way to go for a 2011 setup to keep it well balanced but light enough.

18 minutes ago, uhmeebuh said:

You could probably just order one of the "regular" DS 9 Hybrids and pick the setup you want....but I like the lack of front sight on this model.  

I also think the AL grip and a steel magwell is the way to go for a 2011 setup to keep it well balanced but light enough.

The LO Comp model has the same sight option setup as the DS9 Hybrid.  There's a front sight "delete plate" that occupies the slot when customer requests Optic setup only.

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp

7 hours ago, uhmeebuh said:

I did think about that, but I am wondering if the Hybrids are using the same ignition components?   I was not able to understand that from their website.  

1 hour ago, Boomstick303 said:

I did think about that, but I am wondering if the Hybrids are using the same ignition components?   I was not able to understand that from their website.  

Looking at the "Specifications" of a DS9 Hybrid vs the LO Comp; it's stated that they both are using the Koenig Hammer, Sear, and Disconnector.  There is a lower (0.5#) trigger pull weight on the LO Comp.

During my visit, I actually asked a lot of questions concerning the comparison of the two pistols as I had originally ordered the DS9 Hybrid.  I also inquired about the fire control components; and was told they shared the same items; but the LO Comp was receiving a higher level of fit/finish/tuning which was contributing to the 2# (and below) trigger weight.

After shooting/handling both models, I upgraded to the LO Comp as I definitely wanted the SS grip along with the DT shielded thumb safety and Nitro Fin 2 slide stop.  The LO uses their latest Competition SS grip along with a custom competition magwell.

For ME, the fully optioned LO Comp I shot/handled fit my hands like a glove!  Using 124g match loads, the SS grip also felt better balanced and more stable vs the same loads in an aluminum grip Hybrid.

I think the website doesn't really express the necessary details to accurately/fully understand the differences between the two............

HTHs!

:)

11 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

Looking at the "Specifications" of a DS9 Hybrid vs the LO Comp; it's stated that they both are using the Koenig Hammer, Sear, and Disconnector.  There is a lower (0.5#) trigger pull weight on the LO Comp.

During my visit, I actually asked a lot of questions concerning the comparison of the two pistols as I had originally ordered the DS9 Hybrid.  I also inquired about the fire control components; and was told they shared the same items; but the LO Comp was receiving a higher level of fit/finish/tuning which was contributing to the 2# (and below) trigger weight.

After shooting/handling both models, I upgraded to the LO Comp as I definitely wanted the SS grip along with the DT shielded thumb safety and Nitro Fin 2 slide stop.  The LO uses their latest Competition SS grip along with a custom competition magwell.

For ME, the fully optioned LO Comp I shot/handled fit my hands like a glove!  Using 124g match loads, the SS grip also felt better balanced and more stable vs the same loads in an aluminum grip Hybrid.

I think the website doesn't really express the necessary details to accurately/fully understand the differences between the two............

HTHs!

Looking forward to hearing about your experience with this gun. I am definitely interested in one. What are the lead times for this pistol? 

11 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

They should if that is the case.  You cannot understand that by looking at the website.  All they would have to do is create the write up that you just did in your post and that would answer all the questions I had.  

Thanks, it helps a lot.  

3 minutes ago, JD40 said:

Looking forward to hearing about your experience with this gun. I am definitely interested in one. What are the lead times for this pistol? 

This is what's showing on their website:

Please allow 14-16 weeks to complete this build

They are so slammed with orders; but were hoping to have mine finished in ~12 weeks.  Here's hoping!

👍 

5 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

They should if that is the case.  You cannot understand that by looking at the website.  All they would have to do is create the write up that you just did in your post and that would answer all the questions I had.  

Thanks, it helps a lot.  

Glad to help!

9 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

This is what's showing on their website:

They are so slammed with orders; but were hoping to have mine finished in ~12 weeks.  Here's hoping!

👍 

Mine will be here probably next week. I'll be glad to provide input here, but y'all will probably just think I'm biased...lol...

my DS9Open  has run flawlessly and I seem to shoot it better than any of my previous Open guns if accuracy is an indicator. My match % of possible points is higher with this gun than it's ever been. 

6 minutes ago, waynes_world_45 said:

Mine will be here probably next week. I'll be glad to provide input here, but y'all will probably just think I'm biased...lol...

my DS9Open  has run flawlessly and I seem to shoot it better than any of my previous Open guns if accuracy is an indicator. My match % of possible points is higher with this gun than it's ever been. 

Congrats!

I'm hoping for end of April/first week of May!  I feel confident it will be worth the wait! 

Good news on your Open accomplishments!

👍

I ordered the ds9 hybrid IDPA model, the website said 12-14 weeks but mine was delivered in 8 weeks.  I'm very happy with it.  For the price point it is very hard to beat.  It's not quite as good as my cheely limited gun but I wasn't expecting it to be the same.  I figured it would be a great ESP gun, now I'm thinking of getting the optic plate to run it in LO for uspsa.  

I put an order in for the MPA LOC the other day and asked if they could drill/tap the Cmore pattern on the frame so I could mount a Tevo rest. They said they would be unable to do this and tried to sell me on a Nitro fin.

It shouldn't be that hard to tap a couple of 5-40 holes in the frame. If they can't do that on this frame, is that worrisome? How are they building open guns??

3 hours ago, VeilAndrew said:

I put an order in for the MPA LOC the other day and asked if they could drill/tap the Cmore pattern on the frame so I could mount a Tevo rest. They said they would be unable to do this and tried to sell me on a Nitro fin.

It shouldn't be that hard to tap a couple of 5-40 holes in the frame. If they can't do that on this frame, is that worrisome? How are they building open guns??

I'm going to try an educated guess here...........

I don't think any of MPA's CNC machines are programmed to add a frame mounted bolt pattern of any kind for the Limited Optics or DS9 Hybrid pistols.  Therefore, they're recommending the Nitro Fin. And I don't think they have idle machines that can be used for special requests.

Might be a different situation if you ordered an Open gun. 

I'm sure there are independent GSs that would be glad to add a non-standard part to "your" LOC.  However, would you take the chance of voiding the lifetime warranty with regards to your frame?

Just my $0.02 worth.

👍 

16 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

I'm going to try an educated guess here...........

I don't think any of MPA's CNC machines are programmed to add a frame mounted bolt pattern of any kind for the Limited Optics or DS9 Hybrid pistols.  Therefore, they're recommending the Nitro Fin. And I don't think they have idle machines that can be used for special requests.

Might be a different situation if you ordered an Open gun. 

I'm sure there are independent GSs that would be glad to add a non-standard part to "your" LOC.  However, would you take the chance of voiding the lifetime warranty with regards to your frame?

Just my $0.02 worth.

👍 

I got some more clarification from Phil. He said it's because of the relief cut they make in the frame to allow for having a full rail on the gun. Since this is going to be an LO gun.. I'm not putting a light on it lol. I've asked him if we can skip the rail in favor of putting some  holes in the frame. It's not atypical for an open gun to have a full dust cover in some cases. Looks like he's willing to work with me, at the very least. I told him I'm not a fan of the nitro fin (since I'm not and want to shoot thumbs up) and he took that in stride.

If it costs extra for me to pay for the time/headache to make the gun the way I want it, that's fine for me. I have total trust in the fact I'm going to get a good product.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/12/2023 at 9:51 AM, JD40 said:

@JD40Placed my order for a LOC on 02/07/23; and it's ready to ship as of email notification late this afternoon.  So, if my math is right, it was right at 13 weeks.

👍

On 5/10/2023 at 6:18 PM, HOGRIDER said:

@JD40Placed my order for a LOC on 02/07/23; and it's ready to ship as of email notification late this afternoon.  So, if my math is right, it was right at 13 weeks.

👍

please update this thread with some pics once you get it! :)

Forgot to update from my earlier conversation with Phil about being able to tap holes into the gun. I'm very pleased with his transparency and I'm going to be going through with my order anyways. Hopefully mine's a little quicker than the 13 weeks.. just because I'm impatient.

Screenshot from our e-mails.

image.png.81a4a42aa4545b8feb3a6ad0e2177bb8.png