Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA BOD Minutes and Documents Released

GigG

I am curious about D9 14.  What constitutes an inoperable flashlight? I like can get my hands on a block of tungsten that identifies as a flashlight.    

1 minute ago, GigG said:

I am curious about D9 14.  What constitutes an inoperable flashlight? I like can get my hands on a block of tungsten that identifies as a flashlight.    

You can use whatever you want. That stems from back in the old days when flashlights were not permitted in limited, but people used inoperable ones for weights. Limited optics is not carry optics so just a straight up frame weight is not an issue

1 hour ago, broadside72 said:

$57k in bank fees for a non-profit?

The assumption on this one is that it includes credit card fees but there's more to it because at the normal 2-3% processing fee the math still doesn't add up

27 minutes ago, ampleworks said:

The assumption on this one is that it includes credit card fees but there's more to it because at the normal 2-3% processing fee the math still doesn't add up

Membership dues, Nationals entry fees, and activity fees total $2,444,000 or so; $57,000 of bank fees is 2.3% of that.

20 minutes ago, Fishbreath said:

Membership dues, Nationals entry fees, and activity fees total $2,444,000 or so; $57,000 of bank fees is 2.3% of that.

Then it sounds like the org needs a better processor. I'm paying less than that on what banks claim is a "high risk" merchant account (FFL).

1 hour ago, ampleworks said:

Then it sounds like the org needs a better processor. I'm paying less than that on what banks claim is a "high risk" merchant account (FFL).

As a member of USPSA I don't think it would be out of line if you told them about how you do stuff and could save the organization some money. And I'm not saying that trying to sound like a smart alec or anything, but maybe you have more business sense because of what you do for a living than people on the board. And I'm not saying that to denigrate anybody on the board, different people just happen to have different fields of expertise.

I've never dealt in sums large enough to begin to understand what could cost somebody $57,000 in Bank fees, so I have no idea if that's reasonable or not. It sounds unbelievably expensive to me, but I have no experience in that sort of stuff

Edited by RJH

That's right in the middle of CC processing fees. According to Forbes the average is between 1.5 and 3.5%. Keep in mind that close to 100% of their charges are not card-in-hand charges and that ups the cost.

1 hour ago, ColoradoNick said:

Was waiting for this to get posted here. Hopefully it's allowed to stay. I'm new to uspsa but it sure seems like there's a lot of mismanagement going on in the org. Hopefully someone can right the ship before it's too late. 

what specific mismanagement are you concerned about?

1 hour ago, ColoradoNick said:

Was waiting for this to get posted here. Hopefully it's allowed to stay.

Why wouldn't it be allowed to stay?  I posted it and didn't think I was breaking any forum rules.

The budget is clearly not complete. There is no mention of the magazine costs (creation, printing & distribution). From the 990 forms that are available the costs of the magazine have grown exponentially over the past few years with no explanation.

The amount of money spent on Nationals and Travel appear excessive. I think the spending from the org is disproportionate to the benefits that it provides to the members and clubs.

6 minutes ago, BritinUSA said:

The amount of money spent on Nationals and Travel appear excessive. I think the spending from the org is disproportionate to the benefits that it provides to the members and clubs.

ROs are paid to travel to matches.. Especially nats.

59 minutes ago, GigG said:

Why wouldn't it be allowed to stay?  I posted it and didn't think I was breaking any forum rules.

There is nothing wrong in posting the minutes...what goes wrong is the heated discussions that generally follow such a post.

On 4/4/2023 at 2:27 PM, BritinUSA said:

What do you think would not be excessive?  By how much is it "excessive"?

Do you know how much is spent paying mileage for ROs to travel to Nats and such? 

You always tend to phrase things really strongly, so I'm curious if you can actually be specific instead of generalizing using phrases that are meaningless such as "appear excessive" and "spending is disproportionate".

(And as people have pointed out, 2.3% CC fees is pretty much right in the middle of the standard for card-not-in-hand charges.)

On 4/4/2023 at 3:27 PM, BritinUSA said:

The budget is clearly not complete. There is no mention of the magazine costs (creation, printing & distribution). From the 990 forms that are available the costs of the magazine have grown exponentially over the past few years with no explanation.

How much should they spend on Nationals and Travel?  What is a level of spending that is proportionate to the benefits that USPSA provides members and clubs?

When people come to me with these types of complaints at work my answer is the same: don't bring me problems unless you're also bringing a solution.

Edited by Johnny_Chimpo