Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to SC, should I go to World Shoot?

WestPat

Hello,

I live less than one hour from Talladega, AL.  I am new to SC this year.  I am also off the week of the WSSC.  I am definitely going to be there during the week, but I am wondering if I would be able to shoot?  I do not even have a rating yet, since all I have shot are local matches.  I know I would not be overwhelmed or out of place, and I would definitely like the experience.

Any and all feedback is appreciated!

David 

10 hours ago, WestPat said:

Hello,

I live less than one hour from Talladega, AL.  I am new to SC this year.  I am also off the week of the WSSC.  I am definitely going to be there during the week, but I am wondering if I would be able to shoot?  I do not even have a rating yet, since all I have shot are local matches.  I know I would not be overwhelmed or out of place, and I would definitely like the experience.

Any and all feedback is appreciated!

David 

As others have said match is full... this one fills up in minuets not hours or days :)  that being said watching some of the best is a thrill AND learning experience in itself   also you might check with Zack Jones ... I don't know if it is possible to pay and shoot some practice up in the practice bays or not if it is possible then range time is always good.  You would have to go through the safety brief and get the range card anyway.

21 hours ago, WestPat said:

Hello,

I live less than one hour from Talladega, AL.  I am new to SC this year.  I am also off the week of the WSSC.  I am definitely going to be there during the week, but I am wondering if I would be able to shoot?  I do not even have a rating yet, since all I have shot are local matches. 

If you are definitely going to be there during the week, take your guns.  Even though the match is currently full and has a waitlist, there are almost always slots available once the match begins especially on weekdays. No worries about not being rated, it isn't required for entry.  

Yes I will be there all week.

Are there other things to do, like clinics or RO courses, or should I just try to plug in as a volunteer.  Also I will try to contact Zack.

Thanks,

David

Edited by WestPat

last year there were a number of slots still open once it started.  The nice thing about the WSSC is that it doesn't matter your shooter level.  It's the same 8 stages you might shoot at a local club.  If you have never shot SC before then I would look into one of the local matches.  Having the WSSC as the match to break your cherry is probably not the best.  However, there is nothing stopping you from shooting it.  There are no minimum requirements for classification.

Since you live close, it would be worth going to watch the super squad etc. If you're expecting a big show with special events and lots of vendors, you will likely be disappointed.

As far as participating, it's pretty much like any other match, but with a higher level of competition and a good amount of sandbaggers.

On 3/11/2023 at 3:27 AM, WestPat said:

Are there other things to do, like clinics or RO courses, or should I just try to plug in as a volunteer.  Also I will try to contact Zack.

There will be a few vendors, but no clinics or RO courses.  Once things kick off on Wednesday it is pretty much non-stop shooting until Sunday night which doesn't leave much time for anything else.  

15 hours ago, EarlKeese said:

As far as participating, it's pretty much like any other match, but with a higher level of competition and a good amount of sandbaggers.

One of the perks with Steel Challenge is those sandbaggers only get to do it once.  🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Thank you for the kind words and encouragement.  I got on the waiting list, sent a short, polite email to Zach Jones, and this evening I got opened up to squad!  I’m shooting Squad 37 Thursday PM.  That will give me time to go check things out and see what’s up, and get a chance to use the Practice Bay.  If you have any tips on large match etiquette, I would appreciate it.  Is it okay to talk to the Super Squad after they finish all stages?

Thanks again,

David West

7 hours ago, WestPat said:

Hello,

Thank you for the kind words and encouragement.  I got on the waiting list, sent a short, polite email to Zach Jones, and this evening I got opened up to squad!  I’m shooting Squad 37 Thursday PM.  That will give me time to go check things out and see what’s up, and get a chance to use the Practice Bay.  If you have any tips on large match etiquette, I would appreciate it.  Is it okay to talk to the Super Squad after they finish all stages?

Thanks again,

David West

First off: good luck at your first Worlds.  While it's a "World" competition, just do what you can do.  No need to act differently or change the way you compete.  Ultimately it's you against you. (that's why i DQ'd my first WSSC: did something different because i let my nerves get to me)

Second: Stick with your squad, make sure you paint.  Unless you are the next shooter, on-deck or just got off the line.  Try not to wander during your session. Make sure to thank the ROs and staff.  They are out there working hard for you.

Third:  The Super Squad shooters are normal folks just like everyone else there.  Most of them would be more than happy to talk to you, take pictures, etc.  I recommend waiting until you know they can talk.  The upper echelon shooters tend to have a pre-stage process starting when they are the on-deck shooter.  After they shoot might be a good time while they reload mags, or after that.  Kind of have to read the room.  Also before the session or after the session are usually good times as well. 

Fourth:  HAVE FUN!  Go out there, do your best and have a great time.  Talk to lots of folks and enjoy. 

Edited by bigdawgbeav

13 hours ago, WestPat said:

Hello,

Thanks again,

David West

That’s cool! Let us know how it goes and Good Luck!

Thanks bigdawg!  That is exactly what I was looking for.  I am very excited to be there, and I’m appreciative that I got a spot so late.  I just want to have a good time and learn what I can.  
Thanks again,

David

• 4 weeks later...

Just an Update.

I had a blast, got to practice with members of the Super Squad, got to shoot with the junior Super Squad, and everyone I met was supportive and encouraging.  I shot Limited and finished with no missed plates and no procedurals.  Had a clean match and I left feeling great about my future involvement in the sport.  My son turned 10 this week, and everyone asked if he was going to shoot next year.  When my son was practicing, Muneki came over to watch him, and proceeded to give him a clinic in .22 pistol, and 9mm pistol. He worked on his grip, stance, and recoil control.  I could not have asked for a better encounter with a professional shooter.  Lance Bratcher, Jr. is a joy to be around too, and I had the supreme privilege of watching him shoot 1.08 on a Smoke n Hope string with PCCI.  It was THE most perfect performance of the entire week.  His demeanor is fantastic, and I plan of taking a class with him later in the year.  I finished last in Limited and missed

D Class with a 39.23%, but who cares, I had one of the most exceptional weeks of my life.  Thanks again for all the encouragement!

On 4/30/2023 at 11:46 PM, WestPat said:

Just an Update.

I had a blast, got to practice with members of the Super Squad, got to shoot with the junior Super Squad, and everyone I met was supportive and encouraging.  I shot Limited and finished with no missed plates and no procedurals.  Had a clean match and I left feeling great about my future involvement in the sport.  My son turned 10 this week, and everyone asked if he was going to shoot next year.  When my son was practicing, Muneki came over to watch him, and proceeded to give him a clinic in .22 pistol, and 9mm pistol. He worked on his grip, stance, and recoil control.  I could not have asked for a better encounter with a professional shooter.  Lance Bratcher, Jr. is a joy to be around too, and I had the supreme privilege of watching him shoot 1.08 on a Smoke n Hope string with PCCI.  It was THE most perfect performance of the entire week.  His demeanor is fantastic, and I plan of taking a class with him later in the year.  I finished last in Limited and missed

D Class with a 39.23%, but who cares, I had one of the most exceptional weeks of my life.  Thanks again for all the encouragement!

Glad you had a great time. I was one of your RO's on Pendulum and it was good to meet you and your son.  Look for you both next year

Thank you!  I was easy to spot, a guy who shot poorly and was still happy about it!  I appreciate everyone welcoming us into the SC community, I can’t say enough things about how we were treated, and the overall positive atmosphere of the shoot.  Every one of the RO’s were kind and professional and quick with a word of encouragement after each stage.  I am thankful that I was able to participate.

On 5/1/2023 at 12:46 AM, WestPat said:

Just an Update.

That’s great.  Remember. It’s all about a good time and good company for the 99% of us who will never win one of these things 

The shooting community, in general, are pretty good with welcoming the newcomers to competitions.  However, Steel Challenge seems to EXCEL at it.  With the 13 different divisions and ages running from pre-teen to super senior there is something for everyone and we love when someone wants to join us to make those plates ring.

Hope to see you out there some time @WestPat