Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What I Like About Idpa!

Steve Moneypenny

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love that everyone shoots with standard sights not Scopes!

(Everyone always commends the guy that blasted through a stage in 2 seconds hit almost all A's and has a Targeting System set up for an F/A 18 with Laser Guided Smartbombs!)

Scoring system is easier to eyeball where you're at.

(And I thought they were full of it when they said "one day you'll use Calculus in the real world")

My wife can shoot it without feeling pressures of the competition

It's how I first started shooting

I prob shoot 3x more USPSA than IDPA simply because we are the only club within 2 hrs that shoots it. I would love to shoot IDPA more.

What I like about IDPA is that most IDPA folks tend to be a bit less wound-up when it comes to shooting. GREAT folks in both sports.

lets preface by saying I started shooting IPSC in '79....and think the sport is a great way to get trigger time AND hang out with a lot of great people, but lets talk IDPA....

I love the fact you are shooting what you use for personal defense...well, most of us are....not criticizing the Glock 34 guys, as I actually carried one for over a year....but I love the guys in our club here in south Florida that download their carry gun before coming on the range, then shoot it in the matches exactly how they carry, whether its a G19 or 26, a 4" 1911, under an untucked shirt, or an open button down shirt...no vests :ph34r:

I love most of the COF's as they tend to be more realistic, forcing you to actually USE cover, not just stand in the vicinity.... :blink:

I love the fairness of the rules....everybody said in the beginning all BW was interested in was promoting the 1911 since that was how he made his money,but as has been proven, much to the chagrin of Jeff Cooper, the DA autos have actually had the upper hand a lot in this sport...... :huh:

I love the fact that at the club level there is more friendly ribbing going on between shooters, since losing to a 5'2" 50 yr old woman with a gold plated 1911 with pink pearl grips with a red heart sticker drawing from a Fobus holster usually gets you verbally spanked pretty good..especially the LE guys who come in with their macho attitudes....we usually invite them to join in a brew or 2 after the match so as to keep them from developing a nervous twitch from the embarrassment.... :wacko:

I love the people, some are even on this forum...even though I got blasted last year giving my opinion...... <_<

I love the fact it is NOT an equipment race....and I say that as I anxiously await my Randy Lee 625 :rolleyes:

I love totally blind stages...especially when most shooters screw it up....but I have taken a lot of heat for those.....oh well, at least I had an IPSC/USPSA GM say that it was an awesome stage, despite crashing and burning.... ;)

And finally, I love the simplicity of the whole sport, where you can compete somewhat on equal footing, whether shooting a revolver, a Glock, a 1911, a Beretta, a Sig...look at the holsters next time at your local matches...what do you see? The same 1911's? Only G34's? Only STI raceguns w/CMores? Nope, you see a vast selection of brands, types, etc, so next time someone asks "What gun should I get for IDPA?", you can honestly say, "Come out to the match, you will have lots to choose from."

Frank

Edited by Headshot45

I love that the local IDPA group shoots on Tuesday nights so I make a match without burning weekend time.

I love shooting my carry gun. Of course, I have done that often enough at USPSA matches. :)

I love the fact that I can shoot my production gear in either arena.

I love having developing different skill sets so I will have more options if I have to exercise my weaponry for non-sporting uses.

Mainly it's trigger time with quality people.

not criticizing the Glock 34 guys, as I actually carried one for over a year

I'm carrying one myself these days. I use it for IDPA along with my carry holster, mag pouch, and cover garment. What a great gun! Some folks might say the G34 is too large to make a good carry gun. My attitude is that the G34 was designed from the ground up to be a Glock 9mm the same overall size as a 1911 Government Model (i.e. it was designed to fit into the IPSC/IDPA "box" into which you can just fit a GM with a little wiggle room left over). That's a concept that works really well for me. If I can carry and conceal a GM, as I did for years, I can carry and conceal a G34. (The main difference being, of couse, the G34 is just one helluva lot lighter.)

exactly why I carried one myself Duane....spent over 20 years carrying a 5" 1911 and just figured the G34 was the same size, but lighter and carries more BB's.......but I found out that I shoot a G17, G19, G26 all better than I shot my G34......oh well, maybe I'll try one again this year after the eye doc figures out how to get me to where I can see the sights again...... :blink:

Frank

I do have to admit that the "Rules Fiasco" and online discussions thereof did lead me here to the the Brian Enos site, I'd never even heard of it before. That's something positive. :P Even though I don't like most of the changes, I still shoot IDPA at my local club, SO both of our annual major matches, and enjoy the hell out of being out with competitive shooters, some of the best damn people in the world.

DanO

I personally like the people I have come into contact with both on the local and the National level. I like the general defensive nature of the sport. I love coming up with scenarios that equate to "this could happen to you" and watching how the shooters solve the problem.

BUT.......

What I love best about IDPA is watching my daughter shooting this sport for the last 3 years (she is now 15), watching her gun handling skills improve, watching her interaction with those she has come into contact with because of the sport, and watching her eyes sparkle when she does well on a stage.

What I don't like........ is when she beats me on a stage <g>

Garry N

I like the fact the every match I've shot has a stage I haven't seen before or requires me to do something I have never done before while shooting. I like being able to take a $500 gun and be just as competitive as anyone else there. I like using cover when I shoot matches.