Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45acp Load For Idpa

Cosby

<_< I occasionally shoot an IDPA match with my Gov't model 1911. Since there is not the major power factor of IPSC, I am looking for a soft, clean shooting load with 200 gr. LSWC's.

I looked at all my reloading data and am thinking about 4.0 gr.s of WST. What do you think?

I used to shoot 5.5 gr of 231 because I had a bunch of it...it was old, and not too clean, but very consistent and functioned perfectly in my pistol...Still a good load...

If you wanted to "game" it a little, you could snip about 5 coils off the recoil spg and run 5.0 of 231...great for up close if there is no steel...Not that I would ever do that myself, but I heard about it a time or two... :lol: Couple that with a tungsten guide rod and bushing and it is an A just as fast as you can get on the trigger :blink::huh::o

Cosby, what class are you shooting in IDPA? 45ACP 1911's usually shoot in CDP class and are required 165,000 PF. If your shooting it in ESP with 125,000 PF you are at a real disadvantage magazine capacity wise. To answer your question 4 grains WST will get you aprox. 150,000 PF(non moly coated 200's) There is no factory published data I'm aware of that goes that low with WST & 200 LSWC's There are a lot of powders out there better suited. If you are shooting it in ESP then play the game and get down to 130PF. You WILL see the bullet as it goes down range. As per above post search the forum.

:o Hey guys--I just shot my first IDPA match. I am a 25 year shooter in USPSA and very accustomed to "power factors". I previously had never even read the IDPA rules.

At my first match, one of the RO's commented that I would like IDPA since I did not have to shoot major power loads. I just read the rules and found out that was incorrect. The old rule applies "never assume you are right or anyone telling you anything is right".

I will go back to my USPSA 165 PF loads. Thank you for the replies.

shoot the 45 in ESP and its ok to shoot "weenie loads"

otherwise, time to light a fire! something like 5 grains of WST and a 200..

the more i shoot this Trail boss stuff, the more i like...but its hard to beat 4.0 CLAYS and 230 rainier..soft, clean and cheap.

Edited by harmongreer

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot a 1911 in ESP. I start with 10 in the gun with a 9 round reload mag. A 1911 using a 200 gr SWC at a 130 pf is pretty soft.

This my be THE ultimate gamer gun. Yes it does fit in the box.

I am toying with Glock 21 for SSP.

Edited by Joe D

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using 5.0 grains of W231 under a 200gr lead round nose.

Haven't chrono'd it yet but on paper it "should" produce a velocity of 840fps or 168PF for IDPA CDP. Checkout handloads.com, thier download calculator is pretty helpful. You most likey will have to go with a lighter spring (12-14 lb)?

• 3 weeks later...

Why does it seem that so many prople like Clays? Looking at Hodgdon's site and manual, it seems there are better choices.

For example, Titegroup will yield higher velocity with lower pressure. Wouldn't that be preferable?

Since I already have Titegroup that I use for USPSA .40, would I be just as well off to use that or should I be using Clays for some reason?

4.1-4.2 of clays with a 200gr lswc is a great shooting round. I think it feels a little snappier than a 230gr round

only draw back is it can get a little smokey with the lead rounds. I don't notice when I am outside shooting, but when you go back an watch the tape you can really see it

Why does it seem that so many prople like Clays? Looking at Hodgdon's site and manual, it seems there are better choices.

For example, Titegroup will yield higher velocity with lower pressure. Wouldn't that be preferable?

Since I already have Titegroup that I use for USPSA .40, would I be just as well off to use that or should I be using Clays for some reason?

Load some rounds up with all kinds of applicable powders, shoot them and then understand.

Recoil impulse, how clean and how cheap all will figure in. After all is said and done you will find your favorite. Mine was Clays. It seems a bunch of people share my opinion. :)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...