Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Canik Rival Magazine "Over-Insertion"

hermes_actual

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, telligentgunner said:

Not a fan of putting a band-aid over the disease but...

I get that it should be right out of the box

However if it comes down to

A)i can shoot this gun because the mag hits the slide

or

B i can put something on my mag to stop it

Im choosing B 100% of the time

I deal in very high end racing stuff, and i see this kind of thing daily from parts costing 10X what the gun costs

Should we have to?  probably not

but if there is a solution to the problem and you like the gun otherwise, Id go for it and not look back

or sell it to me cheap and ill do it....lol.

I havent shot one, but i love my sfx and really am wanting a rival S

On 7/19/2023 at 6:33 AM, WxGuy said:

I saw your pic a few responses up in the thread.  How much did you take off for the mag to properly function?  Or was it a file, insert for function, repeat process until it worked?  This is an easy solution.

Sorry I am just now seeing this. Yeah I just did a little at a time until it cleared. I've got probably 1,000 rounds on it now and zero issues. Working like a champ. I can't get it to mess up if I want to. 

19 hours ago, goneracin said:

or

I deal in very high end racing stuff, and i see this kind of thing daily from parts costing 10X what the gun costs

but if there is a solution to the problem and you like the gun otherwise, Id go for it and not look back

I build racing engines and we have to modify every single part. No matter how high end the part is. I'm just assume I am going to have to do it on gun stuff too. 

2 hours ago, jpm2953 said:

Sorry I am just now seeing this. Yeah I just did a little at a time until it cleared. I've got probably 1,000 rounds on it now and zero issues. Working like a champ. I can't get it to mess up if I want to. 

Thanks!!

I haven't had any of these issues with MecGar Canik or MecGar P226  modified mags.  Found some MecGar Caniks on Mag Shack and ordered 2.  I have the new Henning basepad ready to install and I believe with the other MecGar mags I have, shouldn't be an issue.

IMHO, I'll point the finger at Canik for these "issues".    

This is like Glock Beta testing, right?!

3 hours ago, jpm2953 said:

I build racing engines and we have to modify every single part. No matter how high end the part is. I'm just assume I am going to have to do it on gun stuff too. 

Awesome.  Glad to see another gear head on here

I tell everyone nothing goes in that we dont have to massage somehow.

but people think were expensive...hahaha

On 7/25/2023 at 11:08 PM, goneracin said:

or

Also, most people are using these things in CO with aftermarket extended base pads and springs to get 24+1 in the gun. To me it seems silly to point the finger at Canik if there gun doesn't work with aftermarket parts they didn't design or manufacture. 

The guys having trouble with factory mags have room to complain sure. Like you I just expect to do a little tweaking to things anyway. In fact I'd gladly buy someone else lemon at a nice discount and figure it out myself. Tinkering is half the fun anyway. 

Canik asked me to send mine in, so I'm obliging. To date I've gotten a grip from customer service which lined up slightly better than the factory medium that was no where close on any holes. Maybe going to them will result in a better outcome. Also ordered the new Henning pads. Annoying because I want it to be the gun I shoot.

In the meantime I'm shooting a Sig that I feel suits me pretty well, but keep hearing stories (and now video) of them firing without the trigger being pulled 🤷‍♂️. Is it too much to ask for a 40oz striker gun with a decent trigger that is reliable?

I received the 2 Canik mags (MecGar) and they do not exhibit the slide locking up when forcefully pushed up from the bottom.  If Canik did take over the manufacturing of the mags then they got the mag catch hole in the wrong place.  That's my take on this whole mess.  I could be wrong but all of these bandaids point to the catch hole.

I received mine back today the issue was not resolved. I've reached back out to Canik to see how they would like me to proceed, I have a suspicion they don't have a good idea for a fix 😂 

On 7/25/2023 at 8:08 PM, goneracin said:

or

I agree with this. I've been in this sport for a bit at this point and can remember a time when it was fairly uncommon to be able to take a pistol out of the box and expect it to run reliably with all types of ammo, or magazines. We were always fiddling around trying to find a fix for whatever the issue was. Why did we do it? Because if you could get some of those pistols running reliably they were sweet shooters. So much so that the hassle was worth it in the end. I suspect this is much the case with the Rival S. In the grand picture, having to put an o-ring around the base of your mag, or buying some different aftermarket bases (which we're all going to do anyway) is not that big a deal. 

I have a Rival S and it does the over insertion thing if I put a fair amount of upward pressure on the base of the magazine. Is it ideal? No. I'd prefer if it didn't do that, but I'm trying to remember the last match I shot where I went to prone and anchored the gun on the deck. Might have been Area 1 in 2009 in Nampa. Regardless of when it was, its not something we do very often around here, and I'm not seeing a ton of match videos where I see it needing to be done. I suppose if a stage like that came along and I didn't have a sure fire fix for the over insertion issue, I would simply adjust my position to avoid a malfunction. I think the Rival S is a nice enough shooting pistol that it's worth making that adjustment for one stage if needed. As for slide lock reloads, mine doesn't lock back so no factor there. I can ham hand the mags into the gun. 

Something else to keep in mind is what the Rival S was intended for, which is competition shooting. I'm not going to carry it for work, or as an EDC. If I did then the over insertion issue would absolutely need to get fixed, but for what I'm using it for now its just fine and I'll keep shooting it in the occasional match I'm able to make it to. If Canik or someone else comes up with a fix for whatever ails it, I will definitely get me some of that, but for now its a great shooting pistol as is.

Bummed that I just got an RA number but I'm expecting it to not get fixed. Part of me wants to just spend the time to get it to work through Henning pads, reaming the chamber, and trying different recoil spring options.

I do remember getting into the sport shooting Production with a Glock and getting a Tanfo thinking it'd be a silver bullet only to find out I had to do a bunch of work to get it to match-worthiness. As Bill pointed out, it was worth it though.

On 7/20/2023 at 7:57 PM, SufferInSilence said:

Y’all also checkout these new Henning pads that just dropped this week.  They have these fins on the side that are supposed to fix this issue.  
I just bought two but have t hit ti the range to try them.  

5D910A1F-5DF4-42C5-9CF8-ED95252C553D.jpeg

On the Henning website it says "Our extended base pads are legal for USPSA Limited and Open competitions."  Unfortunately, these are not legal in Carry Optics or Limited Optics, so no using them in major matches.  I'll pass.

Edited by telligentgunner

38 minutes ago, telligentgunner said:

On the Henning website it says "Our extended base pads are legal for USPSA Limited and Open competitions."  Unfortunately, these are not legal in Carry Optics or Limited Optics, so no using them in major matches.  I'll pass.

I'm pretty sure they're legal in CO and LO. Think about it, Limited uses the same gauge as LO and CO. How can it be legal in limited and not the other two??

38 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

I'm pretty sure they're legal in CO and LO. Think about it, Limited uses the same gauge as LO and CO. How can it be legal in limited and not the other two??

They are not. This comes from multiple sources.

Edited by telligentgunner

1 minute ago, telligentgunner said:

They... are... not.  This comes from multiple sources.

That sucks, It says on their page it extends them to 141.25 mm which is the limit for Limited, CO and LO. So if they're to long they messed the dimensions up and they're not going to be legal in anything but open which makes them useless.

Anyone here get them and put them in a gauge yet?