Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Canik Rival Magazine "Over-Insertion"

hermes_actual

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently picked up a late May built chrome version and can confirm it too suffers from the over insertion issue. This occurs with both the plastic and aluminum base pads, as well as Henning and TTI extensions.

In my sample size of 1, the magwell prevents over insertion when combined with either of the included base pads. Obviously not a solution for carry optics. 

The MBX magazine is working for me so far but I only have about 200 rounds using it. I picked up a bag of 215 O-rings and they look like they will work but I haven't shot it yet. I'm thinking about selling the 4 factory mags I have and going all in with a few more of the MBX. 

2 months after sending my Rival-S for warranty service to fix over-insertion and extraction issues, I just got it back.  I immediately tested it to see if the over-insertion was fixed and there was absolutely no f'ing improvement.  I was pissed!

I irritatingly got on the phone to customer service and they said they would send me a new "extended" magazine catch and if that didn't work they would replace the firearm. 

Here's what they took 2 months to do that didn't fix the issue:

• Mag catch fit
  • Ejector function
  • Tested fired 18rds
  • Replaced slide stop spring
  • Checked FCG

Edited by telligentgunner

I want to see the Extended Magazine Catch. As soon as I figured out what was happening with the magazine moving up too far I realized the mag catch size didn't match up to the hole in the magazine. I thought about getting a extra one and trying to modify it but they are not available... 

I'll go out on a limb........

Maybe they sent the wrong specs in to Mecgar?  Somewhere in the Canik threads a member modified his mag catch hole and is having no more issues.

There is a video out there on how to modify a P226 mag to fit the Caniks.  I performed this on one mag and it works in my S.

5 hours ago, SufferInSilence said:

I wonder if the weight of the TF brass base pads help keep the mag down and out if the way if the slide.  
anyone running brass base pads on their SF? 

It's crazy to me how all the talk about the Rival-S issues is about compensating for a design defect so a defective gun can continue to be used instead of calling Canik and pressuring them to recall the gun and fix all of the issues.

18 hours ago, WxGuy said:

Somewhere in the Canik threads a member modified his mag catch hole and is having no more issues.

There is a video out there on how to modify a P226 mag to fit the Caniks.  I performed this on one mag and it works in my S.

Please link the thread from the other member.

5 hours ago, telligentgunner said:

It's crazy to me how all the talk about the Rival-S issues is about compensating for a design defect so a defective gun can continue to be used instead of calling Canik and pressuring them to recall the gun and fix all of the issues.

100% agree.   Guess people are just used to getting ignored by the companies.  But yeah when a man drops $1500 all in on a new setup and it has critical failures every other round, it’s should be expected addressed by the company.  Imagine spending good money on a new car that sometimes starts… 😑 

I have tried everything I can to over insert magazines in my Rival S and can't do it. I have forced them repeatedly but can't cause this issue. What am I missing?

12 hours ago, SufferInSilence said:

I wonder if the weight of the TF brass base pads help keep the mag down and out if the way if the slide.  
anyone running brass base pads on their SF? 

I do without any issues 

22 minutes ago, hump said:

I have tried everything I can to over insert magazines in my Rival S and can't do it. I have forced them repeatedly but can't cause this issue. What am I missing?

Possibly missing using a magazine with a +5 extension on it.  Or a gun that wasn't built/designed right.  You may have a different batch where it issue was fixed.

Follow what I do in this video with both magazine versions and then see if you're missing something:

I got it back from warranty service 8 weeks lather and the issue wasn't solved. 

11 hours ago, telligentgunner said:

Possibly missing using a magazine with a +5 extension on it.  Or a gun that wasn't built/designed right.  You may have a different batch where it issue was fixed.

Follow what I do in this video with both magazine versions and then see if you're missing something:

I got it back from warranty service 8 weeks lather and the issue wasn't solved. 

Thanks for the info. I cannot replicate the issue with any of my mags.(std and +5) I would ask for a replacement pistol as something is out of spec with yours. I ended up getting a new 2011 limited pistol after several warranty attempts to fix a frame that was out of spec. Hopefully the customer service at Canik will get better as the 8 week turnaround time is ridiculous. 

5 hours ago, hump said:

Thanks for the info. I cannot replicate the issue with any of my mags.(std and +5) I would ask for a replacement pistol as something is out of spec with yours. I ended up getting a new 2011 limited pistol after several warranty attempts to fix a frame that was out of spec. Hopefully the customer service at Canik will get better as the 8 week turnaround time is ridiculous. 

Replacing the last 2 digits with xx, what's your serial number so we can get an idea when it was manufactured?

Mine is 23CS012xx and the date on the label says 02/10/2023 (10/02/2023 for those outside the US). 

If anyone knows how to find the true manufacture date, please post.

1 hour ago, 0724_1030 said:

The top right corner of the barcode label on the front of the case has a date and time stamp. Likely not the actual date of manufacture, but I suspect it isn’t too far off. 

IMG_1609.jpeg.a71403313e9513db4b2c14f1e1ebf86e.jpeg

Not sure if that's the true manufacture date. Yours looks like it has a lower serial number than mine (I'm assuming it was manufactured before mine) and the date on my label is before yours (10/02/2023 so I'm assuming my label printed before yours). 

1 hour ago, telligentgunner said:

Not sure if that's the true manufacture date. Yours looks like it has a lower serial number than mine (I'm assuming it was manufactured before mine) and the date on my label is before yours (10/02/2023 so I'm assuming my label printed before yours). 

I should have been more clear in my response. The last two digits of the serial number were removed from the photo. 

Mine has this problem but so far the MBX Magazine is working 100% and adding the rubber washers to the standard mags seems to work. 

From looking at the Ser# I guess I have a very early one. This is my full Ser#

20230708_193802.jpg

So https://www.henningshop.com/ announced yesterday that he made a basepad that has a skirt on it that will prevent the over insertion.  He said you could shoot prone rested if you like.  Its still Carry Optic legal ect .    He said it will be ready to ship over the weekend.   You can read the comment section on his insta page.  These are the basepads I probably would have bought anyway. 

In Addition, somebody on the comment section said that Canik is working on a replacement mag release to fix this issue.  

My gun has been at Canik for probably 2 months now.  Last time I spoke with them he said I was getting a new gun.  We will see.   

Edited by stephenmcrna

Noticing this issue as well.  I got those rubber o rings. I think the 215s which are 3.3mm wide or so at the cross section.  They seem way tight.  So I also ordered 2.5, 2mm and 1.5 mm o rings.   Then will take some measurements. Doesn’t really bother me since I’m running aftermarket basepads.  A couple of my other firearms do this as well when I change out to race parts.  

Spoke with canik on the phone today. I’ve had a warranty claim for a replacement mag release since June 14th. He said there was some confusion amongst the different divisions within canik and they are trying to get it all sorted before they start shipping mag releases to the customers. 

he was very interested in how I had already remedied the issue with my gun. Kind of like they were still researching the actual “fix” 

I had similar issues right out of the box. I haven't been able to shoot as much with work being crazy, so I didn't mind sending it in. I will update when they get back to me. 

On 7/5/2023 at 8:18 PM, WxGuy said:

I'll go out on a limb........

Maybe they sent the wrong specs in to Mecgar?  Somewhere in the Canik threads a member modified his mag catch hole and is having no more issues.

I'm pretty sure they are not being made by mecgar anymore. I think they are making their own mags. I might be wrong but the mags have definitely changed.