Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Optics

Rich406

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/18/2023 at 3:33 PM, Covfefe said:

I’ll try. What’s the best optionality for someone pivoting to a dot but unsure about which division? 

I’m thinking of getting a Shadow 2 this year and shooting CO toward end of season.

I could then convert it to SAO if LO is approved, right? I read that it’s pretty cheap and easy. There is no slide mounted option other than one of those goofy dove tail jobs for Tactical sport as far as I can tell. 

I’d say do that.  Get a Shadow or whatever your fave type of DA/SA gun.  Get a dovetail mount for it a let it ride! You can always throw the iron sight back on to sell it or shoot Production.  

I Bought a T-fo Stock 2 and scored an extra upper and did that.  Very pleased.  

* As far as I’ve seen, nothing would preclude you from putting the hammer back and safety on in LO. (Correct me if I’m wrong on that). 

Then you can throw a magwell on (or not).  

My T-fo single action is better than almost all my 2011s. 
If someone isn’t placing where they want at a local match against Bubba and plumber Joe it’s very likely not the gear or gadgets fault.  

A lot of options for getting into LO aside from 2011s.  
Just have fun with it.  Enjoy the journey.  

On 1/18/2023 at 7:38 AM, sfinney said:

I'm with you there. Not seeing well sucks, more so when you you used to not even need glasses.

But what's everyone else excuse, under 40 that see fine? Seems to be a rush to throw dots on everything, even tiny carry guns. 

Dots ARE going on everything and its crazy. from micros to PCC's. I shot a match this last weekend 15 iron sights between Prod and Lim 85 everything else with dots.

10 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

In my neck of the woods irons died a swift death in 2021

so sad that matches and stages are now being setup to favor the accuracy of using a dot. I've seen 40 yard mini poppers and swinging 1/4 turtles with no shoots on them. I shot a match last weekend, on a cold January day with a 20deg wind chill I had to look at colt steel at 65 feet and 40 ft tuxedos tucked behind barrels. (local match). Just some context my last 3 matches I shot PCC 2nd overall, Open 8th overall, Limited 24th overall. Running a dot does not make you a better shooter they allow you to shoot better. The USPSA game should be about learning the game and working on your skills I like shooting my dot guns but they are not helping me get better in some ways they are making me more lazy.  

4 hours ago, Joetifosi said:

so sad that matches and stages are now being setup to favor the accuracy of using a dot. I've seen 40 yard mini poppers and swinging 1/4 turtles with no shoots on them. I shot a match last weekend, on a cold January day with a 20deg wind chill I had to look at colt steel at 65 feet and 40 ft tuxedos tucked behind barrels. (local match). Just some context my last 3 matches I shot PCC 2nd overall, Open 8th overall, Limited 24th overall. Running a dot does not make you a better shooter they allow you to shoot better. The USPSA game should be about learning the game and working on your skills I like shooting my dot guns but they are not helping me get better in some ways they are making me more lazy.  

Sounds like you need to brush up on iron sights.
But matches arnt favoring anything. They are targets. Dots dont shoot against irons,, Maybe in PCC,
And very few people intentionally shoot irons in open. The rest of the divisions require or prohibit dots.
Sounds like you went to a good match. 

6 hours ago, Joetifosi said:

I've seen 40 yard mini poppers and swinging 1/4 turtles with no shoots on them.

So have I, in level II and III matches.  Can't remember when I saw something like that in a level I match, and if I did it's not a common thing.

I shot a match last weekend, on a cold January day with a 20deg wind chill I had to look at colt steel at 65 feet and 40 ft tuxedos tucked behind barrels. (local match).

21 and 13 yards.......not sure what the problem is.

The USPSA game should be about learning the game and working on your skills

That's what training and practice are for.  Matches are to pit your skills against a shooting problem that you didn't come up with.

A decade ago our local club had a cof with a 10 yard upper a zone shot they painted white around as a no shoot, not legal but did it anyway.

Think I was the only one to not get a penalty on that target.  With my revolver.

The thread really drifted.

The way I see it is the new LO division does one very simple thing, opens up more guns to CO in competition. That is a good thing. Probably won’t save much in $ over Open though considering how much some of these Limited guns cost. 

Unless one wants a mag well, a SA straight trigger, and a heavier hammer spring, why not just leave the Shadow 2 as is? Just start with hammer back safety on, (which in my opinion we should be doing anyway in both Production and CO).

More opportunities are better, and maybe it will move some of the CO heat to another Division. 😬

3 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

So have I, in level II and III matches.  Can't remember when I saw something like that in a level I match, and if I did it's not a common thing.

21 and 13 yards.......not sure what the problem is.

That's what training and practice are for.  Matches are to pit your skills against a shooting problem that you didn't come up with.

As I said before a local match level 1 on a cold and windy day with ice hanging off everything is not where you want  see targets that you can't blaze. So yeah 21 and 13 yards no problem on a normal day but a stand and shoot match no way. It was a problem all day. And yes we see swingers like that a lot at level 1s all the time now. 

15 minutes ago, Joetifosi said:

As I said before a local match level 1 on a cold and windy day with ice hanging off everything is not where you want  see targets that you can't blaze. So yeah 21 and 13 yards no problem on a normal day but a stand and shoot match no way. It was a problem all day. And yes we see swingers like that a lot at level 1s all the time now. 

Everyone else had to deal with the same problems as you did.

I completely do not understand what your complaint is.

1 hour ago, HesedTech said:

Just start with hammer back safety on, (which in my opinion we should be doing anyway in both Production and CO).

For the millionth time, not every division needs to cater to every freaking gun that can be used in USPSA.

Maybe learn to deal with a DA trigger.  Or if that's too hard just get a striker pistol.

28 minutes ago, Joetifosi said:

Practical shooting.  Is it possible you need to decide before you sign up for a match if you think you want to really go?  No one is ever making you decide to shoot any match.  That's up to you.  Not sure where the complaints are valid.  It is winter and everyone else had to shoot the same targets as mentioned above.  Conditions are going to suck in most instances this time of year for most of the US.  Maybe something to think about is if you do not care for shooting in that type of weather stay home and dry fire.  To be honest you will most likely get more benefit from the dry fire than attending matches in those conditions.

As for targets you don't think should be there at a level 1 have a discussion with the MD.  Maybe other shooters have requested such target presentations to get ready for other upper level matches.  Maybe the MD has not put much thought into it at all, and that's what he wants to shoot.  The MD is putting a product together.  If his match is too tough, lower level shooters will quit showing up.  If you notice lower level shooters leaving that match, maybe bring that up to the MD.  I doubt that is happening gut it is something to consider.  

22 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

In my neck of the woods irons died a swift death in 2021

looks like limited was still the 2nd most popular division in 2022.

of course that includes the handful of noobs that don't have dots and shoot lim(girls) rather than buy more mags.

12 hours ago, Joetifosi said:

?

I don't want to pile on, but wtf? Even noobs can hit 'tuxedo's' at 40 feet if they aim and don't freak out. There should be MORE such targets at locals instead of less (mixed in with easier targets so people who don't practice can still have fun and don't get their feelings excessively hurt).

8 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

?

I don't want to pile on, but wtf? Even noobs can hit 'tuxedo's' at 40 feet if they aim and don't freak out. There should be MORE such targets at locals instead of less (mixed in with easier targets so people who don't practice can still have fun and don't get their feelings excessively hurt).

Agreed 100%  head shot 75 feet and such is my cup of tea  

4 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

?

Your not piling on and I agree that's why we do them. It was just too damn cold for that kind of match. It started the day before all of the setup guys shoot pcc or co. I remember when they all shot production they would never setup a match like this especially for a day that was going to be brutally cold. They failed to realize that 90 other people of varying experience were going to show up the next day and the hold ups and waiting was ridiculous. I shoot for fun and that was not fun. 

3 minutes ago, Joetifosi said:

Your not piling on and I agree that's why we do them. It was just too damn cold for that kind of match. It started the day before all of the setup guys shoot pcc or co. I remember when they all shot production they would never setup a match like this especially for a day that was going to be brutally cold. They failed to realize that 90 other people of varying experience were going to show up the next day and the hold ups and waiting was ridiculous. I shoot for fun and that was not fun. 

If it was too damned cold, why did you go?  Do you not look at weather forecasts?

Maybe your club never setup targets like that when production and limited ruled the roost, but that's not every club. 

2 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

For the millionth time, not every division needs to cater to every freaking gun that can be used in USPSA.

Maybe learn to deal with a DA trigger.  Or if that's too hard just get a striker pistol.

I shoot a Shadow 2 quite well in CO, DA and all. Done it so long I don’t even think about the DA shot at all.

But my comment really is about the lack of FPB in the Shadow 2. And without revisiting an old thread, I believe the gun is in a safer condition holstered with safety on over hammer fully forward.

I will forgive you for your out of place comment though. 

1 hour ago, Joetifosi said:

yeh I hate those clubs where they prohibit people from showing up to help set up stages they design.