Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cz shadow 2- frame relief cuts.

jeremy kemlo

14 hours ago, jeremy kemlo said:

Are there any options for getting the relief cuts in the frame of the shadow two like the newer ones have to prevent cracking down the road?. I have an older frame and since I live in California it is not easy to get a new one if it cracks.

Please explain what you mean by "options."  A very opened ended questions IMO.  To my knowledge any place who could perform the relief cuts you want and you trust to do the work should be able to perform the work to your satisfaction.  However, depending on to what use you use the pistol may be a different answer.  For example, USPSA or IDPA competition to name two that come to mind readily. And, in what division in since rules in USPSA do vary significantly depending on division.  Not as familiar with IDPA but believe the same is true there.

On 9/20/2022 at 9:01 AM, GeneBray said:

Please explain what you mean by "options."  A very opened ended questions IMO.  To my knowledge any place who could perform the relief cuts you want and you trust to do the work should be able to perform the work to your satisfaction.  However, depending on to what use you use the pistol may be a different answer.  For example, USPSA or IDPA competition to name two that come to mind readily. And, in what division in since rules in USPSA do vary significantly depending on division.  Not as familiar with IDPA but believe the same is true there.

Sorry, option for where to get it done. This is an internal relief cut to prevent the frame from cracking with high round count. New fames all have this relief cut. 

On 9/20/2022 at 6:38 AM, LuvDog said:

Someone local to me sent his back to CZ and they did it under warranty.

^^^

This.

On one of our older CZ Shadow 2s, the crack started to form so I sent it to CZ. They warrantied the gun and made the cut. It took about 6 weeks to get it done.

Here's a picture of the crack forming on the right lug:

image.thumb.jpeg.8bdca54bf2c8ee86134629114bdc4954.jpeg

40 minutes ago, CGoodwin said:

Where is the frame cut? Picking up an optic ready Shadow 2 locally on Monday from the original owner.

The OR Shadow 2, because it is newer should have the relief cuts already done by the factory. This is a known issue with the early Shadow 2s and was fixed in production.

2 hours ago, CGoodwin said:

Where is the frame cut? Picking up an optic ready Shadow 2 locally on Monday from the original owner.

The OR models have it already so you dont have to worry. The older guns dont have it and tend to crack. Its in the frame above the trigger. Left is my older gun right is my S2 OR

IMG_3674.jpg

Edited by TheChef1

On 9/20/2022 at 4:44 AM, slavex said:

Yes I had two of my older guns done. One after a crack showed on the right side. 

Hello,

Just noticed that my S2 started to develop crack in that area. And I'm in Canada, so replacement is not possible anymore.

Could you explain me little bit more please, what did you do, how match did you cut ?

And based on you opinion, is it ok to use gun with that issue ?

--

Thanks in advance.

11 hours ago, Homa said:

Hello,

Just noticed that my S2 started to develop crack in that area. And I'm in Canada, so replacement is not possible anymore.

Could you explain me little bit more please, what did you do, how match did you cut ?

--

Thanks in advance.

You can’t get a replacement? Can you guys not get any new guns now?

16 hours ago, Homa said:

Hello,

--

Thanks in advance.

where are you in Canada? I had mine done by Joseph Wu in Vancouver, but I believe Black Box Customs does them too. I would not keep shooting the gun with the crack until it's been milled, as the crack can spread to the point that a piece of the locking block can break off rendering the gun unusable in some cases. I would have it looked at by a decent smith to see if the crack has spread too far already or not. 

4 hours ago, TheChef1 said:

You can’t get a replacement? Can you guys not get any new guns now?

No new handguns can come into Canada now. Our dictator introduced a law a few months back to ban all handgun transfers and when they saw how many were being sold and new ones being imported they then went around parliament and made a regulatory change to stop import permits. So, while CZ could replace the frame, if they got the old one back, and issued the exact same serial number instead of X-XXXX-1 (current procedure if you ask for the same serial number, they just had a -1 on the end), but not sure if he could get a permit to export and reimport the gun. If it was me, I'd get on CZ about it, make all the arrangements, fly to czech for a match with my pistol and come home with the new frame installed at the factory, but not everyone can do that. 

25 minutes ago, slavex said:

No new handguns can come into Canada now. Our dictator introduced a law a few months back to ban all handgun transfers and when they saw how many were being sold and new ones being imported they then went around parliament and made a regulatory change to stop import permits. So, while CZ could replace the frame, if they got the old one back, and issued the exact same serial number instead of X-XXXX-1 (current procedure if you ask for the same serial number, they just had a -1 on the end), but not sure if he could get a permit to export and reimport the gun. If it was me, I'd get on CZ about it, make all the arrangements, fly to czech for a match with my pistol and come home with the new frame installed at the factory, but not everyone can do that. 

Someone can do a good business in Canada. Fixing Shadow 2 pistols. Because there are many ways to fix it.

In our country, the government also enacted such a law. And every 3 years, if a gun did not pass a test by the law authorities, the citizen's license would be canceled . After a petition was submitted to a high court of justice, it was canceled. but they looking for new ways.🙈

Edited by yigal

5 hours ago, slavex said:

where are you in Canada? I had mine done by Joseph Wu in Vancouver, but I believe Black Box Customs does them too. I would not keep shooting the gun with the crack until it's been milled, as the crack can spread to the point that a piece of the locking block can break off rendering the gun unusable in some cases. I would have it looked at by a decent smith to see if the crack has spread too far already or not. 

I'm in Ottawa, ON. There is one smith in Ottawa, Gunco, he is very regarded, just don't know if he was dealing with S2 issues before.

I contacted CZ warranty center on Canada, but they can do nothing anymore, as it's not possible for them to bring gun back.

And for my understanding, what is criterion for reparable - not reparable ? What happens, if piece of locking block gets missing, can gun still shoot ?

Thanks !

It depends on how the crack forms and how big a piece breaks off. If too big, the slide stop spring won't be held right and the gun will malfunction. If even bigger piece breaks off, the slide stop itself can be more easily broken, especially if the left side breaks. 

1 hour ago, slavex said:

It depends on how the crack forms and how big a piece breaks off. If too big, the slide stop spring won't be held right and the gun will malfunction. If even bigger piece breaks off, the slide stop itself can be more easily broken, especially if the left side breaks. 

I see, makes sense. Showed gun to our local smith today, he indicated importance of slide stop spring while trying to solve issue. Let's see how it goes and what he will do.

But overall that really sucks that I can't get replacement anymore.

On 9/25/2022 at 12:48 PM, TheChef1 said:

The OR models have it already so you dont have to worry. The older guns dont have it and tend to crack. Its in the frame above the trigger. Left is my older gun right is my S2 OR

IMG_3674.jpg

Thanks for the heads up! Here's mine. Like it a lot, but really prefer the Phoenix.

PXL_20220929_183202755-CGDesktop.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 9/28/2022 at 5:29 AM, HI5-O said:

I just emailed Cajun Gun Works for details and will post it here when I receive a reply. 

I got a notification from CGW a few days ago to send in my frame. Said turn around time is 8 weeks. Hopefully not that long as I want to use it for a production match in February 2023. I didn’t ask how much it would cost. I stripped most of the internals except for the mag catch and trigger bar spring. I have to ship it overnight and that will probably be pricey. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...