Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Xd-40 Which One?

zhunter

I have a deal pending for my G22, that I had used as my carry gun.

I am going to get an XD-40.

I like the idea of the Tactical as it is VERY usable for Production should I ever decide to go there. Is there a big benefit to the XD Service over the Tactical for carry purposes?

I have always carried full-size weapons, no pun intended ;) , in the past.

Please help a brotha out in the decision makeing process.

Thanks in advance

I just bought an XD9 Service model for Carry/Production. I honestly can't see where there is any disavantage in Production with a 4" model. I put a couple hundred rounds through mine this past weekend and didn't have any problems shooting lots of "A"s.

I have Both a 4" 40 and a 5" 40 The Sight Picture on the 4" is a little unforgiving I shoot the 5" in production a lot better ( Might be the Fiber Optic Sights on the 5") The Big deal is the 5" use regular recoil springs and can be changed to suit your load ( Major or Minor) and th 4" Has a Capitive spring. If I carried I think the 4" might be the way to go, but this is a personal preference.

Edited by scorch

OK, they both hold 12 + 1, and the mags both seat all the way to the base of the butt, so I am assuming, yeah I know that is dangerous, but I am assuming they are the same size grip. Whick would make both the same for concealment purposes. The barrel is not the problem with concealment anyway.

I am leaning towards the 5" Tacticle

I have Both a 4" 40 and a 5" 40 The Sight Picture on the 4" is a little unforgiving I shoot the 5" in production a lot better ( Might be the Fiber Optic Sights on the 5") The Big deal is the 5" use regular recoil springs and can be changed to suit your load ( Major or Minor) and th 4" Has a Capitive spring. If I carried I think the 4" might be the way to go, but this is a personal preference.

P.s. For 20 bucks you can put a one piece guide rod and change springs till the cows come home

Buy the service send it to Rich and have a four # trigger job and some tfo's put on it and Love it :)

SO they make a 4" guide Rod and springs for the XD? WHere do I find one.

Here is my favorite store they have ton's of XD pieces

Direct link to Don's guide rod at Pistol gear

xd-hs2000.com

Don the first to devolpe in XD guide rod forum link

Personally I buy springs from sprinco and cut them down my self but I belive the standard compact 1911 springs will drop right in.

Also if you wish he can make a one piece tungston. Wich I have one in my service and the one piece solid stainless for the Service and Tactical

Edited by R/T Performance

THank You! R/T Did not know they made the guide rod and spring or the 4" will order one

No problem alot of Xd info here.

xd-hs2k web forum

I spend alot of time there :rolleyes:

For anybody using the stock recoil assmble besure to grab both ends and twist every time you clean.if it loose replace it or pry the spring back and lock tight it.If it comes apart it locks the gun up :o

I just found my sub-compact loose :wacko:

Note Don will get you washers and the hard to find roll pins when you need them :D

Edited by R/T Performance

• 1 month later...

I have carried my XD subcompact .40 all summer last year (in SC) and have been very happy with both function (100% with Golden Sabers and SXT) and weight etc. I am using a Sparks Watch Six. plus you have the ability to reload to a "full size" mag if needed.

Jay

• 3 weeks later...