Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

VR80 open Optics and setup questions

Rjz5400

anyone in here also using the VR80 for 3 gun Open obv.? im having BIG trouble with optics and accuracy. I am very used to a standard dropped and offset stock and shooting a bead = height over bore = zero. used to shoot my m3k one for one for a whole match! now i had a stage with 7 missed clays!

Ive tried a direct mount vortex viper and using a riser to keep my head more upright (separate fitting issue). and recently when my optic went down i tried shooting just over the rail and couldn't make any hits at 5 or 10 yards. considered holosun 512c and using no optic

it's mostly a height issue, what optics have people found work? what distance do you center your spread pattern at? how do you deal with having your cheek above the bore so much?

i'm not interested in advise like " its a shotgun point and shoot" I and I hope may others may be shooting 3 to 15 moa targets that must break or knockdown at ranges from 5 to 50 yards and even much further, so if that's not you thanks for reading and keeping outside opinions outside. ( last bit was added for a FB group but if matches you shoot don't have "precision targets" the strategy may not crossover)

I've had good results with a Holosun 510C with just the standard included mount.  So far it's held up to a couple thousand rounds.  I generally leave it set with both the dot and circle illuminated.

Nolan

I use a holosun 510c without a riser and a Magpul stock with a cheek riser that helps get me lined up. To Pattern I tape a clay to a target at 20 yards, using a black marker draw a circle around the clay, then shoot the clay. Using just the circle reticle I adjust so the pattern is centered on the clay. Then do the same thing from 10 to 30 in five yard increments to confirm.5709C215-13A4-4314-8D12-074FE9323E0C.jpeg.21b7f115d2d671f33a7025cc3686a6aa.jpeg

Yea I think I'm in the minority, I'd did lots of the inspecting and debugging found in the megathread before even firing a shot. 

It's run 99.9 out of the box after some cleaning and tuneing. No break in and only has issues if I drop the mags into moon dust out here in NM. 

Holosun 512c is looking like a possibility and running the zero a little further out so I don't have such a drastic rise and fall in my Poi vs my POA .. 

On 8/24/2022 at 6:37 PM, dogtired said:

I like the 510c much better than the VR80, still working on getting the VR80 to not crap the bed at a match.  Put the circle dot on the clay and it blows up.

Man that sucks, sometimes its luck of the draw.  Mine ran good out of the box but I still drill out the gas ports a little.  It runs everything I've tried including 1145fps and the cheap stuff.  

A friend at rm3g found the buffer tube had a bunch of that packing grease from the factory, slowing the spring down a lot and causing feeding issues. 

I've not heard that before but it's something we came up 2ith and it fixed the cycling and feeding issues. 

• 1 month later...