Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Traffic

Paul B

For the past 5 years my morning commute has been about 15 feet to my home office. Occassionally I have to travel but it is usually by air and taxi.

Recently, though, I had to drive around Atlanta in the middle of the day and a year ago around Orlando and also Chicago. They are just nightmares!!

Maybe I've lost my traffic mental muscle, but in Atlanta I was finding myself wanting a quad mount .50 just to get past the constant traffic jams (no reason it was just stop and go).

Is it me or are there just too many cars and specially semi's (specially since there is no way to see past the trucks and no way to even merge into their solid lines) on the road now? How do people who do this everyday keep from going postal?

It's worse. At least, here in the Seattle area it has gotten noticeably worse (from "horrible" to "un-freaking-believably-horrible") in the last few years.

Having said that, I've noticed that my annoyance at the drivers around me fluctuates depending on the tunes playing in my car. If I'm listening to rock, I tend to want to yell at people... if I've got some good smoky jazz in the CD player, they can all do whatever they want, not worth getting upset over

(oh, and if I have talk-radio going... I pretty much want to jump out of my car and start throttling people. My wife won't let me listen to some shows while she's in the car ;-)

Bruce

I hate traffic also!!

My worst pet peeve: your traveling down the freeway and people who are merging on do not yield, they just fly onto the freeway like you are supposed to brake for them. Thats what the yield sign is there for, it dosnt mean "squeeze in as fast as you can"

May as well add San Francisco Bay area.. I say Bay Area because it includes the entire bay area and all the surrounding counties. When I listen to the radio in the morning I hear updates from places that are about 120 miles distant from each other. SF to Vacaville sometimes (60 miles), Santa Cruz to Fairfield (120 miles or so) and then Santa Rosa to San Jose Via SF, (120 miles). Like Seattle, we have a big body of water cutting us all up, and um, 8 or 9 bridges spanning what they call the San Francisco and San Pablo Bays. Don't get me started on the parking lot that is the Highway 4 corridor (Between Hercules and Antioch, a distance of only 45 miles).

Ugh, I'm happy that now my daily commute is only 16 miles round trip with a 35 minute train ride in either direction in the morning and evening. I used to commute to SF International airport (45 miles or so) and the ride home on a Friday would start about 3 pm, and I might be lucky if I got home at 6pm.

Vince

B)-->

QUOTE(Paul B @ Dec 6 2005, 06:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Recently, though, I had to drive around Atlanta in the middle of the day and a year ago around Orlando and also Chicago. They are just nightmares!!

Maybe I've lost my traffic mental muscle, but in Atlanta I was finding myself wanting a quad mount .50 just to get past the constant traffic jams (no reason it was just stop and go).

Is it me or are there just too many cars and specially semi's (specially since there is no way to see past the trucks and no way to even merge into their solid lines) on the road now? How do people who do this everyday keep from going postal?

They say that Atlanta is one of the worst traffic spots in the country. :blink::wacko:

ONE of the worst?

My "Atlanta Commute" is 20 miles each way, 53 traffic lights. At 5:45 am it takes 45 - 55 minutes. going home, at 4 USED to take 55 minutes a year ago, not it's taking 1hout 10 minutes...

I agree on the .50 Anyone got a spare ? ;)

Carl

A year ago August, I had to fly into ATL for a family medical emergency. Pulled out of ATL at 4:30pm on Friday to head to Athens, Ga. (About 90 miles or so). I got into Athens about 9:00 that night. Most of the time was spent trying to get to 85 North and 316. No that's traffic!

A "favorite" hate subject of mine....

I live 25 miles south of the Atlanta perimeter and used to commute to a place about 35 miles due north of downtown (400N at Hembree for you locals). One-way was over 70 miles in the worst steering-wheel-mangling, "if-it-doesn't-move-I'm-gonna-take-a-hostage" traffic imaginable. I had to leave at 0-dark:30 and work late every day just so I could avoid the stress of creeping along on the interstate. Seems like I was never at home except to sleep for a few hours and then do it again. :(

I telecommute now (30 second commute from my bedroom to my office) and have vowed to do everything I have to in order to keep the privilege.

I know what you mean about traffic. My 15 mile communte to and from work takes about 30 minutes driving past one horse farm after another on curvy two lane back roads with hills and trees and 35 to 45 mph speed limits. Occasionally there is a tractor to slow down for...., I hate that.

You guys and your short commutes. My commute is 75 miles each way. 1 hr 10-15 minute to work, 1 hr 20-30 minute going home. Going home involves being in a parking lot for about 2 miles. Most people commute the other way which takes about 2 hours.

The 405 in LA is always a parking lot. It doesn't matter what time of day or which day it is. Worst is the 405 and 10 interchange. 10 years ago, I took a summer session class at UCLA. Commute took 35 minutes to get there and 2 hours to get back. It doesn't matter which way you go, it's still 2 hours.