Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finding a major power factor load.

Yoseppy

How does one start the process of finding a major power factor load? Do you guys use quick load or start at the max load in the book and work your way up? I’m wanting to get into the open world but am a touch intimidated by figuring out a load. 

To start, read forum threads here and look at online articles. From there you can see what are most popular and proven and also what are some new powders that are gaining popularity, like Shooters World Major Pistol. Pay attention to where they land on the burn rate chart. For example, Titegroup is not a good choice because of quick pressure spike. Winchester Autocomp and a couple other powders around it on the burn rate chart would be suitable for Major. Slower burning powders are most popular like AA7, Shooters World Major Pistol, 3n37, and 3n38, and Silhouette. To get major in 9mm, you may encounter compressed loads.

Please use a chronograph and keep an eye on your signs of pressure on your cases. Please be mindful of your OAL because this greatly impacts pressures when loading 9mm for example. Look what other people are loading and work your way up to those.

have fun and stay safe!

14 minutes ago, Yoseppy said:

I’ve got auto comp and 3n38 to start but always looking for more options. 

Please see attached of what I was able to load with RMR bullets 124 gr FMJ. 9mm Major. the 3n37 and 3n38 are compressed loads.

Screenshot_20220812-112753_Sheets.jpg

55 minutes ago, Gene_WI said:

Ask the builder for start load reccomendation?

I had thought of that to be honest. I’m not sure if that will be an option I’m looking at a brazos semi custom but I’ll reach out via email and see. Thank you. 

1 hour ago, Yoseppy said:

I had thought of that to be honest. I’m not sure if that will be an option I’m looking at a brazos semi custom but I’ll reach out via email and see. Thank you. 

brazos will absolutely give you their fav load or two!  they are super responsive.

15 minutes ago, davsco said:

brazos will absolutely give you their fav load or two!  they are super responsive.

This ^^^^^^^^.  On top of that, the load will be what the gun is tuned for.  You definitely what to start with what Bob suggests.  You can experiment later.