Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magill's Or Matt's Instructional Video?!?

Rosshooting

Hello guys,

I need a little bit help from you. I want to order the ultimate video instructional about practical shooting. I have Brian’s book (wonderful item) and Matt’s too. I just wonder which video to pick up. I just want to tune some of my skills to the higher level so I need some fine analysis. I chose Magill’s “How to Shoot Fast and Accurately” and Matt’s “Practical Shooting, Vol. 4 – How to Shoot Faster”. I can buy just one of them so please give me an advice! Thank you in advance!

I've seen all of them and Matt's is by far the most current. Matt's is a series and I would suggest that you look at 1-4 of the series. There are a lot of little things on the basics that will help a lot. There is no one magic tape that can cover all that is involved in this game. Matt's series is as close as you're going to get to personal instruction with out the price and travel.

Another vote for 1-4 of the Burket series. If you have to start somewhere start with 1-3. The foundation will give you the speed. The tape on speed is a good one, but I think 1-3 which is on a double DVD and is sold as one item is the one to start with.

Rick

I think every beginner to the sport should own Burkett's videos, Magils are a little out dated, and the only info that is good on the magil tapes are from what the shooters have to say, not what magil does or says. But since your asking about either magils or Burkets vol 4, the answer would be burketts hands down.

just my oppinion, take it with a grain of salt, a wedge of lime and shot of tequila

pk

I have Matt's DVDs, I have seen the Burner tapes.

By far and away, Matt's DVD are great.

I am really enjoying the How to Practice.

If you are not a beginner and want to move to the next level get the How to Practice DVD. You will not be disappointed.

One last plug for Matt, call and find out if he is teaching in your area and sign up. He is amazing about picking out little things to improve which have a big impact on performance.

Powerman,

Thank you!

That's a question I get a lot on the phone - Burkett or Magill. If you're on the learning curve and looking to tune your skills, definitely Burkett. The Magill tapes are better for the advanced student capable of reading between the lines. There's some good stuff to be gleaned from them, but it takes some time to develop the eyes to see.

be

I just watched Pistol Masters and How to Shoot fast and Accurately tonight for about the 10th time since I got them a few years ago and I always get impressed by the interviews with TGO, BE, Chip McCormick, J Michael Plaxco, and Jerry Barnhart and so on...

what these guys were saying almost twenty years ago is so true even today

I think that it is well worth it to watch these interviews just to see what we think is new and revolutionary like dry firing to get better and what kind of sight picture to see is actually stuff that was figured out years ago

Magills style may be outdated compared to now but the TGO and BE philosophy is just as valid now as it was then

I have the Burkett 1-3 and the most watched part is the interview with BE on the truck tailgate, I get something new from it everytime.

Powerman,

Thank you!

That's a question I get a lot on the phone - Burkett or Magill. If you're on the learning curve and looking to tune your skills, definitely Burkett. The Magill tapes are better for the advanced student capable of reading between the lines. There's some good stuff to be gleaned from them, but it takes some time to develop the eyes to see.

be

Hi Brian, just to say one more time that this is the best forum about practical shooting! Thanks about the great stuff and about your book –wonderful item (I purchased it from here before a year) Soon I am going to buy reloading press and kit and it is sad that Dillon’s stuff you offers here can’t be internationally delivered. But anyway that you about shearing your experience of practical shooting with us! Best regards!

Hi Brian, just to say one more time that this is the best forum about practical shooting! Thanks about the great stuff and about your book –wonderful item (I purchased it from here before a year) Soon I am going to buy reloading press and kit and it is sad that Dillon’s stuff you offers here can’t be internationally delivered. But anyway that you about shearing your experience of practical shooting with us! Best regards!

Thank you!

:D

I have all of Matt's DVD's and use them to refresh and review often. I have also taken a personal class from Matt and he is a top notch instructor that can identify little things that are easily overlooked. You cant go wrong with Matt's videos if you are starting out. I also use the bonus shooting clips on volume 4 to introduce and grab the interest of new potential shooters that are curious about entering our sport.

Dave

Burkett by FAR out classes magill, While a good heart was put into Lenny's video's they just are not as in formative, he does not teach technique in his videos from what i have seen. you have to be able to pick up from whatching other shooters. while matt HIMSELF (an accomplished GM) teaches you his way of doing the technique.

Also the Burner series is awesome!

Are the J Michael Plaxco videos, maybe in dvd's by now, still available anywhere? Though a little dated, I always find myself reviewing those for the basics. I've also shown them to many newer shooters who seem to easily understand the points he is conveying.

Don't completely write off Lenny's tapes, both the instructional ones and his National tapes have lots of great footage of the best in the sport. YOU have to look for the information, but it is there. I've learned a great amount from watching those tapes over and over.

eg. watch how all the masters technique differ and by how much...then look at the results (points/time)

ditto Brian.. Burkett's tapes are good for speeding up that learning curve, but Magill tapes esp. How to Shoot Fast and Accurately and IPSC Secrets open your eyes to the nooks and crannies, the different perspectives and approaches all in an effort to achieve the same objective.. If you are like me who wants to query and understand everything down to the last drop, then the Magill tapes will prove invaluable...

Get them all, work it into a budget over a period of time you will learn a lot!! be sure to get some match tapes too as they show these guys putting it all together..