Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hodgdon HP38, CFE pistol and HS6

RGA

Hi, 

Which powder do you prefer for 115,124 and 145/147 grain plated and jacketed bullets? Hodgdon HP38, CFE pistol or HS6? I'm aware of the different burning rates and that's why I'm asking. And for fun of course. I'dont shoot major or open so that is not a consideration.

I obtained some CFE and am playing with it in 9 and .45. I quite like this stuff! Accurate, meters like water, is reasonably clean and soft shooting. (My usual go-to powder is N320 (for 115/124 bullets) and I also been using some N310 (100/115 target loads), N340 (124/145) 3N38 (145), D032 (115/124) and RS12 (115/124.)

Which of the named Hodgdon powders do you like for which bullet weights and why? 

Looking forward to your responses!

Edited by RGA

If you are happy with the CFE powder, why not stay with it?

It may also depend on the quantities you have.  HP38 will use less per charge, so your supply will last longer.  HS6 works well but avoid it if you will be shooting in the dark.

1 hour ago, Guy Neill said:

If you are happy with the CFE powder, why not stay with it?

You are absolutely right Guy! If I was smarter I'd limit myself to N320 for everything (in 9 and .45) and be done with it. I just like experimenting too much...

;)

Hodgdon and other US made powders are almost impossible to find in the EU these days but I discovered a small cache. Quantities are limited so my experiments are just for fun.

Edited by RGA

I use Sport Pistol & 147 Blue Bullets for 9mm Minor for USPSA.  Works well for me, although I do intend to check out 135's.  I know... not a Hodgdon powder, but....

If I had to choose for a all around for 9 & 45 I would go with HP38/231. Haven’t shot a lot of CFE to give good advice on recoil, accuracy ect but I know it’s capable of higher velocities with lower psi than HP38. 

Edited by Farmer

I started out using Alliant bullseye as many shooters I had spoken with liked it. a bit  dirty  , shot well, ignited every time. no issues. the shortage hit so I bought Hodgdon Titegroup as I  have heard  good things  about it too. So far it is very much like   bullseye in the way it meters, functions and the amount I use to load 45 acp 185 gr  and 9mm 124 gr.

using  4.o grains for the 9mm 124 gr fmj bullets. I cannot tell the difference between my reloads and commercial ammo so far

Just  starting out with  45acp as I had  some AA#5 to  finish off first. starter load  4.5gr of titegroup with a RN 185 gr  fmj bullet. shoots like my 9mm as far as recoil

Since you are located in Europe, you may be able to find Nobel Sports powders there easier than US powders. I use a lot of Vectan Prima V and also Ba 9 1/2.

The first one for 9 mm 124 gr and the latter for 357 mag. Use CFE Pistol for 45. Unfortunately, the Nobel Sports powders are now hard, if at all, to find here in the USA.

10 hours ago, lll Otto lll said:

I find it interesting that Tom Selleck has fans in the Netherlands.  Wasn't Magnum PI like 40 years ago?

Oh thanks, you just reminded me I'm getting old.... 😋  What can I say, I'm an eighties kids and Magnum PI was one of the shows I loved to watch as a young teen. As well as Knight Rider and of course The A-Team! Man, I wanted a Mini-14 so bad back then.... as well as 2 Dobermann dogs. 😂

Anyway, thanks everybody for your replies so far. And I agree there are many, many other powder brands/types that will do the job more than well but I wanted to limit my enquiry here to these 3 Hodgdon types.

Over here European brands like Vectan, Vihtavuori en Lovex are also getting scarser (and more expensive if you do find them!). My favorite powder monger is out of BA9, several Lovex types and also a number of Vihta types for instance. And we won't even mention primers.... Supply chain woes and the war in Ukraine do not help. I was quite lucky to find this small Hodgdon cache for ancient prices.

Also found this rescource which is a walhalla for tinkerers like myself. Some of you will surely appreciate it as well.

http://www.natoreloading.com/9mm/

Edited by RGA

I tried going the HS-6 route at first, but at minor power factor it was really dirty. I had partially burnt grains in my sear cage and frame and had to clean my SP-01 every range trip. I use Win231/HP-38 and N320 now with much better results, cleaner and less sparky.