Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rfpo / rfro ammo

Squirrel45

3 hours ago, GOF said:

Don't overlook the ammo coming out of the new Remington plant in Arkansas. Their Thunderbolt load used to be a joke, but I recently had some of the new manufacture printing 1.2-inch 100-yard groups from a Thompson Center .22 semi-auto rifle. It's also been perfect from my 10/22. It is high-speed, but there's not recoil difference in a rifle for Steel Challenge (it also makes certain the timer picks up the shot). it's also less expensive and starting to become available.

I'm very happy with it.

I saw some local shooters using those this weekend and thought the same as you, that Thunderbolts were trash.  But he ran 6 stages in RFRO and no ammo issues that I remember.

• 1 month later...

I was shooting the boxed ammo (50 round boxes) and never had an issue.  I shot some bulk ammo (500 round box) and had a few issues after several rounds.  I found that on a hot day the wax from the bullets was getting on the shell casings and could eventually gum up the chamber.  Now I only take the 50 round boxes to a match.  I've started saving the boxes to transfer the bulk ammo to.  I think the bulk ammo is okay until it sits out in the heat during a match.

I use CCI Mini Mags for everything if I want to stock 1 ammo. They are absolutely amazing. If someone is having issues at our SCSA matches we can usually resolve them with either a) cleaning with a spray down of Hoppes Gun Medic (please clean your gear) or b) switching to Mini Mags for the rest of the match. 

The CCI Clean is a great value option if your rifle / pistol like it. My JP-22 and 10/22's both ran this stuff fine but my CZ Kadet couldn't. The Kadet needed extra velocity to cycle. The Federal BYOB's are also a great value option.

And yes, believe it or not, the new Remington stuff is higher quality. I have an old 622 that would only cycle Golden Bullets. The old stuff wouldn't run most of my other guns but now the GB's and TB's cycle most of my stuff. The powder isn't as clean as the CCI or Federals but if you can find the buckets they will likely get you through in a pinch or for a ton of practice. 

I also prefer to run plated stuff to reduce lead fouling in semi autos. Most of my 22's do not have comps but again, it's easier to stock 1 thing than 7. 

6 hours ago, Darqusoull13 said:

I use CCI Mini Mags for everything if I want to stock 1 ammo. They are absolutely amazing.

They just run...Since the Blazer (0021) has come down to .08¢ each again, I would consider them for practice. They have approximately the same ballistics as the MiniMag without the coper plating. They are a bit dirtier, but if you train a lot there is a cost savings.

• 4 weeks later...

As others have said, cheap stuff for practice and save the good stuff for match day.

My RFRO with the Tacsol barrel eats more ammo than my RFRO with the Briley raptor. Pistol will eat 36gr HP, rifle likes 40gr RN. I like the impulse if the CCI std, but it waxes up my Briley quickly and starts creating FTE.

in my RFRO I practice with the Remington Thunderbolt 40RN and do local matches with the same. For serious matches I run the CCI mini mags 40gr RN. 

I’m jealous that folks are able to run the CCI std velocity. I’m having stovepipe problems with it in my Briley Raptor barrel. I assume it’s when the chamber gunks up. Tried a Kidd 10% reduction spring and their extractor, to no avail. Wonder if having the chamber opened up will help…

Edited by Scrounger

22 hours ago, Scrounger said:

I’m jealous that folks are able to run the CCI std velocity. I’m having stovepipe problems with it in my Briley Raptor barrel. I assume it’s when the chamber gunks up. Tried a Kidd 10% reduction spring and their extractor, to no avail. Wonder if having the chamber opened up will help…

My Wiland builds were running SV just fine with a Volquartsen bolt.  I just switched to another bolt and it's heavier and with the -10% KIDD springs it still has issues.  I just run the MiniMags, Blazer or Force.  Interesting side-note, even though the Eley Contact is "SV" it also runs.  Guessing it's a little hotter than regular "SV" or the CCI SV is not hot enough.  If I have to run CCI SV then I'll just switch bolts.

53 minutes ago, bigdawgbeav said:

My Wiland builds were running SV just fine with a Volquartsen bolt

This is helpful. What are the lighter bolts out there? I was thinking of switching from the stock receiver/bolt to a Tactical Innovations or Magnum Research left charging receiver with their reapective bolts. Are they any lighter than the stock bolt?

32 minutes ago, Scrounger said:

This is helpful. What are the lighter bolts out there? I was thinking of switching from the stock receiver/bolt to a Tactical Innovations or Magnum Research left charging receiver with their reapective bolts. Are they any lighter than the stock bolt?

I'm running a Tactical Innovations receiver.  I'm currently running the Tandemkross bolt in my build. I'm going to run a test with the VQ spring on my charging handle to see if that helps run the SV with that TK bolt.  

VQ bolt w/ guide rod and spring = 6.84oz

Ruger bolt w/ factory charging handle = 7.16oz

The Pike Arms left charging bolt sold with the Elite Tactical 22 left charging receiver is one of the heavy ones.  You will have problems with CCI SV.  Not all bolts can be converted to left charging, so be careful and ask first if that's what you need.

That’s very helpful. I’m not dead set on left charging. If I have to clear my gun and it’s not on my throwaway round, I’m figure I’m already sunk. 

Apologies to all for taking the thread on a tangent from the OP’s question about SV ammo. 

Edited by Scrounger

3 hours ago, Scrounger said:

That’s very helpful. I’m not dead set on left charging. If I have to clear my gun and it’s not on my throwaway round, I’m figure I’m already sunk. 

I am.  I'm right handed.  I can clear a FtF super quickly without moving the gun off target.  Then I fire one handed while I reestablish a two handed grip.  That was essential when I was using AR Tactical.  I'd get at least one FtF out of every box of 300.  With 40gr MiniMags, I had one FtF all season.  So Ar tactical for practice until they are used up.  MMs for when it counts.

On 8/30/2022 at 1:08 PM, Scrounger said:

Wonder if having the chamber opened up will help…

I have looked at several Briley Raptor barrels and what they all had in common was terrible machine work for the chamber. When I questioned them about it they said it is very hard to get a good cut on the liner that they use for the bore. The chamber is supposed to be a special one that is Sporting diameter but Bentz length but when I was going to try and clean up the terrible cut with my sporting reamer it just dropped all the way in so it was already bigger than sporting. The barrel still runs and is good enough for Steel Challenge but just disappointed with the quality of the chamber.

Edited by Gregg K

Can’t wait to get my reamer to see what’s up with my chamber. 

On the topic of ammo, I caution against the Tippmann 40gn std velocity ammo. I bought a few bricks out of desperation during the pandemic. Out of the two bricks my buddy and I s#!t there were 4-5 squib loads!!

I ringed a couple barrels running fast during matches and reracking when I didn’t hear my hits. Fortunately they were factory barrels.  

• 4 weeks later...

I've had good luck with CCI Mini-Mags, Aguila Super Extra High Velocity, Eley Force, and Eley Contact.  I'm currently using the Aguila for practice and the Contact for matches.

Targetsports had a sale on CCI mini mags,, 400/5000 rounds shipped cheapest I have seen them in awhile,,, although they stick it to you on shipping if you dont order 5k.
Came out to 10cent  shipped for smaller quanties... I ended up ordering them from midway as the shipping was only $2 and I needed soem other 22/45 odds and ends...
FYI the tandemkross plastic mag pads blow... They dont let the magazine seat.