Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rfpo / rfro ammo

Squirrel45

Hi everyone, 

I'm starting to run low on ammo, currently running cci standard. Basic question now that some ammo is coming back on the market, what does everyone like, cci mini mag, standards, ar, clean? Do you use the same ammo in both or different?

Thanks 

Squirrel

I agree with revolver45. Shoot anything for practice, but choose the good stuff wisely.

I've found that CCI Clean is the best choice.  I can run an entire match without having to put a brush to my cylinder.  Mini Mags get me about 10 reloads which is pretty good but then it takes using a brush.

My favorite is Federal BYOB but I'm running out and don't find any on the Federal website.  I can run about 500 rounds before I have to clean the cylinder.  

Remington Golden Bullets also work great and don't require a brush for an entire match.

CCI- SV are very clean as well.  Even though they are not plated or coated I can shoot my entire Steel Challenge before cleaning.

Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, revolver45 said:

Shoot the crap in practice and switch to the good stuff come race day. 

I was going into the Fed auto crap at the end of the day 🙄. Id like to find some of those Clean's or AR's. 

18 hours ago, Squirrel45 said:

I was going into the Fed auto crap at the end of the day 🙄. Id like to find some of those Clean's or AR's. 

I've got 2k of the CCI Clean ammo that I was going to play with, but I don't need.  Can ship to CT with proper documentation.  Send me a PM for details.  Might have some excess of other brands as well.  Just bought my first CZ for USPSA and I'm cleaning out some excess items to fund getting that ready to go.  Saw your post and thought I'd offer to help.

I currently run CCI Mini-mags in my RFRO.  Running Fed 36gr HP Value Pack (MFR #745) in my RFPO...just because it runs good and my shelves are deep with that ammo.

In all honesty...run what makes you happy and your guns run with 100% reliability.  Don't believe there is any right answer for best Steel Challenge rimfire ammo.  It's really not that critical as long as your guns will run it with the practical accuracy required.  And remember...each gun can have individual preferences.

Like others... find what works.  My pistols and rifles will run just about anything.  Until I changed the hammer spring in my RFRI it was not happy with Eley ammo.  Found this out at WSSC.  After a disastrous first stage i changed to CCI MiniMags and no more issues (ended up winning B Class in RFRI and shaved 10 seconds off my personal best).  Since then I went to an XP hammer spring and no more issues. To be save I also changed the spring in my RFRO (went with the Wolff XP hammer spring since they are a PA company... and it's Wolff)

I rotate through CCI SV, CCI MM, Eley Contact, Eley Force.  Have some Norma Tac-22 that I got a good deal on and going to try those (i hear good things).  I occasionally run Blazer... they are dirty, but they work too. 

2022-05-01 19.33.58.jpg

Edited by bigdawgbeav

On 6/13/2022 at 1:05 PM, bigdawgbeav said:

Like others... find what works.  My pistols and rifles will run just about anything.  Until I changed the hammer spring in my RFRI it was not happy with Eley ammo.  Found this out at WSSC.  After a disastrous first stage i changed to CCI MiniMags and no more issues.  Since then I went to an XP hammer spring and no more issues. 

I rotate through CCI SV, CCI MM, Eley Contact, Eley Force.  Have some Norma Tac-22 that I got a good deal on and going to try those (i hear good things).  I occasionally run Blazer... they are dirty, but they work too. 

Appreciate it 👍, I too had good luck w blazer a few years ago.

In terms of rimfire ammo: shoot what works AND what you can find.  Luckily the shelves are being stocked again, unfortunately at insane prices still.  You can always order direct from CCI, Federal, Eley (Killough/Steve Foster/Kurt Grimes).  PSA has deals on rimfire occasionally (that's where I got the Norma Tac-22 for $0.09/round).

9 hours ago, bigdawgbeav said:

In terms of rimfire ammo: shoot what works AND what you can find.  Luckily the shelves are being stocked again, unfortunately at insane prices still.  You can always order direct from CCI, Federal, Eley (Killough/Steve Foster/Kurt Grimes).  PSA has deals on rimfire occasionally (that's where I got the Norma Tac-22 for $0.09/round).

thanks Beav, I wish federal/cci and PSA shipped to CT :(  Ill have to check with the others you mention 

12 hours ago, bigdawgbeav said:

@Bigdawgbeav, I have to apologize ahead of time.. I am not knowledgeable in 22LR…. I have a couple rifles and a pistol but never really shot it too much but my question is.. I have a lot of the Norma Tac-22 is that a quality ammo for 22? I was gifted several bricks of 500 but never tried them out. The reason I ask is my club runs a silhouette match and a Rimfire steel challenge match. I was thinking of buying some SK, Eley ammo for those matches…. Do you think the Norma would work well?

I picked up some Norma Tac 22 recently directly from Norma for $43 a brick.  At that price I ordered 1000 rounds.  Forgot I ordered it and ordered it again.  Tough being senile.  

I tested it yesterday out of my 617, my Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite and my Black Mamba and I'm very pleased with it.  Functions 100% in all three guns and shoots great.  I've already loaded my magazines for Sunday's Steel Challenge with the Tac 22.

It goes through my McFadden Ultimate Clip Loader like water.

1 hour ago, AzShooter said:

I picked up some Norma Tac 22 recently directly from Norma for $43 a brick.  At that price I ordered 1000 rounds.  Forgot I ordered it and ordered it again.  Tough being senile.  

I tested it yesterday out of my 617, my Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite and my Black Mamba and I'm very pleased with it.  Functions 100% in all three guns and shoots great.  I've already loaded my magazines for Sunday's Steel Challenge with the Tac 22.

It goes through my McFadden Ultimate Clip Loader like water.

Ok sounds lik it should do the job…. Thanks AzShooter!….

11 hours ago, Leezway said:

@Bigdawgbeav, I have to apologize ahead of time.. I am not knowledgeable in 22LR…. I have a couple rifles and a pistol but never really shot it too much but my question is.. I have a lot of the Norma Tac-22 is that a quality ammo for 22? I was gifted several bricks of 500 but never tried them out. The reason I ask is my club runs a silhouette match and a Rimfire steel challenge match. I was thinking of buying some SK, Eley ammo for those matches…. Do you think the Norma would work well?

I have not tried it yet, but a couple of local shooters swear by it no to mention 5 time World Speed Shooting Champion Trenton Mitsuoka.  I have no experience with SK as I can't seem to find it locally, but junior shooter Kaitlin Benthin is sponsored by them and swears by it.  Eley sponsors a number of shooters and is considered some of the best stuff out there (I, personally, have found Eley a little finicky depending on the rimfire setup.)

I'm sorry you can't get stuff shipped to you.  I have a friend in Mass that has the same issues.   

Here is some data from a 5" barrel.

SK+ and its Lapua and Wolf brethren runs 867fps.  Norma Tac-22 runs about the same.  CCI Standard (0032 not paper box) runs 955.  Eley Target runs 1000.  40gr MiniMag runs 1020.  Federal Automatch runs 1053.   I can't find the data on Aguila Super Extra High Speed right now, but it was in the MM/Automatch range.

SK+, etc. Aguila Match Pistol and Eley Target are all super accurate.  Tac-22 is slightly less accurate.  CCI Std less still.  MiniMags and Automatch are fine for steel, but not for bullseye accuracy.  Both SK+ and Match Pistol will put 50 rounds into a 1" group, edge to edge, at 50 yards , handheld, from a bean bag rest.  Eley Target consistently put 10 round strings into sub .500" groups at 50 from a Ransom Rest.

Keep in mind some of the match grade ammo offered by Eley, SK, Lapua, etc. is HEAVILY wax coated. I think those noted as pistol or Semi Auto won’t be and will leave your chamber running cleaner.  Best to check the Mfg’s website before you buy….  

Don't overlook the ammo coming out of the new Remington plant in Arkansas. Their Thunderbolt load used to be a joke, but I recently had some of the new manufacture printing 1.2-inch 100-yard groups from a Thompson Center .22 semi-auto rifle. It's also been perfect from my 10/22. It is high-speed, but there's not recoil difference in a rifle for Steel Challenge (it also makes certain the timer picks up the shot). it's also less expensive and starting to become available.

I'm very happy with it.

I shoot either CCI Blazer (stuff in 50rd boxes) or CCI Mini Mags, both in 40gr.  They all work well through my 10/22, 15-22 and 22/45.

I generally shoot the Blazer for practice and save the Mini Mags for matches.  Honestly no issues with either, I like how your hands stay slightly...ever so slightly cleaner with the Mini Mags since they are copper plated.