Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Been out of the loop for 4 years and want to build a PCC

So four years ago I got out of shooting when my first son was born now that they are getting older I’ve gotten back into things and wanting to build or buy a PCC, anything I should stay away from? A few years ago I remember something were finicky and didn’t work well with others, from the research I’ve been doing I’m either going to buy a JP or build with a JP 10.5 barrel, JPbolt and JP  short stroke system, Brekke hand guard and comp, I don’t know what lower and upper I should use. Is there anything anyone could recommend to help would be awesome better setups alternative set ups, intend on staying in blowback not wanting to drop 3k on a jp 5 as nice as they are about 2k is my limit give or take a few

1 hour ago, BrocDowns said:

So four years ago I got out of shooting when my first son was born now that they are getting older I’ve gotten back into things and wanting to build or buy a PCC, anything I should stay away from? A few years ago I remember something were finicky and didn’t work well with others, from the research I’ve been doing I’m either going to buy a JP or build with a JP 10.5 barrel, JPbolt and JP  short stroke system, Brekke hand guard and comp, I don’t know what lower and upper I should use. Is there anything anyone could recommend to help would be awesome better setups alternative set ups, intend on staying in blowback not wanting to drop 3k on a jp 5 as nice as they are about 2k is my limit give or take a few

A GMR-15 ready rifle will be your best bet on reliability. All 3 models are under your budget and you can spend more time having fun at the range. If you want lightweight go with the ultralight. I love that one because it's great for USPSA and also sweet for Steel Challenge. 

Not knocking the GMR-15 Ultralight, but try it first.  Or try something with a similar barrel setup.  I started with a Leadstar Arms Prime, which is already a lot lighter than the GMR.  I put a Wiland 5.5" sleeved barrel on it because I wanted to use the same minor ammo as my steel gun.  Didn't work out.  It was too muzzle light.  I had to be perfect with my trigger pull or I would pull the muzzle off target.  It was fast on transitions, but felt funny.  I put the 16" barrel the gun came with back on and did a lot better with it.  I go for balance.  I want the balance point between my hands.  Right now it is in the middle of the magwell.  Perfect.

13 hours ago, Darqusoull13 said:

A GMR-15 ready rifle will be your best bet on reliability. All 3 models are under your budget and you can spend more time having fun at the range. If you want lightweight go with the ultralight. I love that one because it's great for USPSA and also sweet for Steel Challenge. 

100%.  Buy, shoot. 

Yes, gmr 15 all the way. And look around for someone selling their backup gun to pay for the jp5. That's what I did.

And ZZT has it right. The gmr with 16" barrel if front heavy for me. I put a Smoke composites handguard on both of mine and they balance nicely now.

I have an AERO lower with Taccom upper. bcg and barrel....have been shooting it for the last two years and had one failure to feed with Tim's glock extension....all for under $800 dollars and fun to build to boot.

• 4 weeks later...

If you have the budget for it, JP all the way. And there are some decent deals to be found on used ones if you are patient and look around. I have a GMR with the brekke barrel/comp/handguard I bought used a few months ago and love it. I also have a few builds I’ve put together and reliability has been good on those too.  However home builds sometimes require a little tinkering to make reliable.  Family obligations often limit range time so I would go with the option that requires less tinkering. 

JP makes phenomenal gun. 

But most are going to replace their trigger and put a hydraulic buffer in to compete with “modern” guns. There’s no comparison of even a tuned SCS to a hydraulic. 

So make sure you’ve got an extra $350 in there for a hiperfire trigger and a Blitzkrieg buffer