Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Gun Do You Shoot In Ssp?

Chills1994

Howdie fellow BE'ers!

I'm using a Taurus PT 99 AFS in 9mm as my SSP gun right now. (You all can stop laughing now. Bought it at least 10 years ago, even before I heard about IDPA. I wanted a Beretta, but the price.) I can also use it cocked and locked in ESP, or again hammer down for USPA's production class.

The first shot DA trigger just sucks. You need gorilla fingers to pull that thing back. SA trigger is not so bad, not as good as my 1911 CDP gun, though.

I shot a friend's Glock 17 in 9mm. He did a trigger job which included the 3.5 pound disconnect. It is really nice. I was left thinking how can I compete against such a gun, in SSP?

After perusing the latest Tactical Journal with the article about nationals, I noticed 91 shooters used Glocks.

So I was just curious what is everyone else using in SSP?

Chills

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beretta Bridgadier -- I've got the lighter hammer spring and a DIY trigger job. I'm a novice and I find the first DA trigger pull seems to slow me down a hair for now but is not any less accurate.

I do have to practice prepping the trigger as I get the gun level and moving to the target so I'm ready for the shot to break just as my arms reach the proper extension.

Edited by Leozinho

Occasionally a .40 LDA, until January, at least. Occasionally a G23, and probably my G35 on a regular basis, once I get a decent holster. Ammo is minor PF, BTW, otherwise I'd be shooting a 17 or 34.

Edited by kevin c

Sig P226 in 9mm. The DA/SA transition isn't an issue for me. I own a G17 and have shot it in SSP before also. For me the Sig points better, feels better, has a trigger that feels like a trigger, reloads smoother, and is overall faster for me than the G17.

Glocks are good guns but it's still the shooter. Dave Sevigny would kick ass no matter what gun he used.