Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Canik Rival with all the goodies!

ngodwetrust21

13 minutes ago, ngodwetrust21 said:

Well… it looks like not only is Canik the best Carry Optics gun money can buy, it is also officially the best limited gun money can buy as well. 

Nils just won Limited Nats shooting minor with a Canik Rival!!! What a beast. 🤯🤯🤯

He was only 10pts off from doing it last year. Was only a matter of time. 

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/14/2022 at 10:39 PM, Mancolt said:

Anyone else have any light strikes with their Rival? My wife has 2 Rivals, and I have 2 P320 Legions. My guns almost never light strike, and on the same reloads, she'll have 20 or so to my 1. I get probably 1 per 500 to 1k rounds. She's getting 2 to 4 per 100 rounds. 

Yes!! I'm trying to work through the issues now. Pulled the Newton striker spring out and am going to try some different, including the factory one, striker springs. It doesn't seem to matter what primers I use. Also doesn't seem to matter what factory ammo I use either, that is when I can find some that will chamber.

14 hours ago, ngodwetrust21 said:

Well… it looks like not only is Canik the best Carry Optics gun money can buy, it is also officially the best limited gun money can buy as well. 

Nils just won Limited Nats shooting minor with a Canik Rival!!! What a beast. 🤯🤯🤯

Insane man. Hard to say he’s not the best shooter in the world after the year he’s had. 

37 minutes ago, Skeet said:

Yes!! I'm trying to work through the issues now. Pulled the Newton striker spring out and am going to try some different, including the factory one, striker springs. It doesn't seem to matter what primers I use. Also doesn't seem to matter what factory ammo I use either, that is when I can find some that will chamber.

Let me know what you find I’m having light strikes also. 

On 10/17/2022 at 12:09 PM, Skeet said:

Sorry to hear you are having issues with light strikes. I have never had any issue with the 29 newton striker spring myself. Other than when I first started using Ginex primers because they were cheaper than anything else I could fine which was only related to the primers sitting a little higher than they should have. Once that was fixed by had no more issues out of them. 

If switching back to the factory striker spring does not fix your issue, I would really start taking a close look at the ammo. I may even take a close look at the ammo anyway. I really don’t think you should be having trouble with that 29 newton spring as long as you are using good ammo. I would make sure you are seating those primes as low as you can get them and see if that fixes it.

1 hour ago, ngodwetrust21 said:

Sorry to hear you are having issues with light strikes. I have never had any issue with the 29 newton striker spring myself. Other than when I first started using Ginex primers because they were cheaper than anything else I could fine which was only related to the primers sitting a little higher than they should have. Once that was fixed by had no more issues out of them. 

I am using Ginex too, and I do think the occasional (slightly) elevated primer is the issue. I recently set my press to seat them a little deeper, and I'm going to pay extra attention to primer depth on my next batches. But if that doesn't solve it, then we'll likely be selling my wife's guns, because I've tried everything I can think of and the amount of time it takes to inspect ammo (on top of brass prep + reloading) just isn't worth it. We'll find a gun she likes that eats these reloads no problem, like pretty much every other gun I own does.

3 hours ago, ngodwetrust21 said:

If switching back to the factory striker spring does not fix your issue, I would really start taking a close look at the ammo. I may even take a close look at the ammo anyway. I really don’t think you should be having trouble with that 29 newton spring as long as you are using good ammo. I would make sure you are seating those primes as low as you can get them and see if that fixes it.

I was thinking high primers as well but bought factory ammo and still having the issues. Going out today with reloads, factory stuff, a bunch of springs and a couple other guns to see if I can’t figure it out. 

1 hour ago, Mancolt said:

I am using Ginex too, and I do think the occasional (slightly) elevated primer is the issue. I recently set my press to seat them a little deeper, and I'm going to pay extra attention to primer depth on my next batches. But if that doesn't solve it, then we'll likely be selling my wife's guns, because I've tried everything I can think of and the amount of time it takes to inspect ammo (on top of brass prep + reloading) just isn't worth it. We'll find a gun she likes that eats these reloads no problem, like pretty much every other gun I own does.

I’m right there with you. If I can’t figure it out I may just have to part with them. Don’t want to waste time chasing gremlins. I’ve been using CCI primers and have never had an issue until now. 

Good luck Skeet! I have found that I had to load my rounds much shorter OAL than I used to with Summit City Bullets, because they were contacting the rifling much earlier in my Canik than they were in my other guns. The Canik also seemed much more sensitive to it. I had a bunch of rounds loaded to 1.13 OAL with 124gr Summit City RN, and they ran fine despite not plunking in my P320 X5's. But I had to go down to 1.085" OAL to get them to run at all in the Caniks. That was the point at which they plunked. So if they were close, but didn't plunk (and spin) the Canik really struggled with them. After eliminating OAL, the only thing left I can think of is high primers.

37 minutes ago, Mancolt said:

Good luck Skeet! I have found that I had to load my rounds much shorter OAL than I used to with Summit City Bullets, because they were contacting the rifling much earlier in my Canik than they were in my other guns. The Canik also seemed much more sensitive to it. I had a bunch of rounds loaded to 1.13 OAL with 124gr Summit City RN, and they ran fine despite not plunking in my P320 X5's. But I had to go down to 1.085" OAL to get them to run at all in the Caniks. That was the point at which they plunked. So if they were close, but didn't plunk (and spin) the Canik really struggled with them. After eliminating OAL, the only thing left I can think of is high primers.

Didn't consider that in all my frustration. I did shorten my OAL to 1.12 in order to get them to run but perhaps I need to shorten them a little more as well. Thanks for the tip.

Well, 200 or so rounds down range and all went bang. Only thing I did was replace the Newton spring with the factory one, not sure why the Newton was giving me fits. 
May go ahead and work up a load to 1.085 like Mancolt mentioned and roll with that. 

12 hours ago, Skeet said:

Well, 200 or so rounds down range and all went bang. Only thing I did was replace the Newton spring with the factory one, not sure why the Newton was giving me fits. 
May go ahead and work up a load to 1.085 like Mancolt mentioned and roll with that. 

Awesome news! Glad it is running for you now!

19 hours ago, Mancolt said:

I can run RN Plated or FMJ up to 1.150 in my rivals all day long. When you get into the coated bullets you gotta shorten them up. If I run 147 Blue Bullets at 1.120 they get stuck. Federal Syntech problems too. 

12 minutes ago, bigtimelarry said:

I can run RN Plated or FMJ up to 1.150 in my rivals all day long. When you get into the coated bullets you gotta shorten them up. If I run 147 Blue Bullets at 1.120 they get stuck. Federal Syntech problems too. 

May pick up some plated to try out, though they won't chamber the Eley 147s at 1.15. Could be a bullet profile thing as well. Been running 135 Blue Bullets since I had a bunch on hand. Thanks

We ran about 100 rounds through my wife's gun this AM with no problem. I had the primer depth set lower on my Apex 10 last night for this batch of rounds, and that, combined with seating all of them anywhere from 1.085 to 1.090 seems to have resolved the issues. I'd like to get about 500 through it before I make any definitive statements about the issues being gone, though.

43 minutes ago, Mancolt said:

We ran about 100 rounds through my wife's gun this AM with no problem. I had the primer depth set lower on my Apex 10 last night for this batch of rounds, and that, combined with seating all of them anywhere from 1.085 to 1.090 seems to have resolved the issues. I'd like to get about 500 through it before I make any definitive statements about the issues being gone, though.

Love to hear it! Doubt you are going to have any more trouble out of it.

On 10/19/2022 at 7:39 PM, Skeet said:

I had a ton of light strikes with the 29 newton but I also never

shot the gun stock. I’m going to try the  stock one and see what happens. 

I also took a trigger pull weight before putting it in and after. It was heavier after adding just the 29 new but light than stock after adding the lighter trigger return spring. It’s the 29 newton supposed to be heavier or lighter than stock?

Thanks to Nils wining production Nationals, the Canik Rival is also the best production gun money can buy. What a year! He won 2gun, single stack, carry optics, limited, and production all in the same year. Gotta be the best performance anyone had ever had in a calendar year shooting USPSA. Unreal!

On 10/21/2022 at 10:35 PM, TheChef1 said:

I had a ton of light strikes with the 29 newton but I also never

shot the gun stock. I’m going to try the  stock one and see what happens. 

I also took a trigger pull weight before putting it in and after. It was heavier after adding just the 29 new but light than stock after adding the lighter trigger return spring. It’s the 29 newton supposed to be heavier or lighter than stock?

29 is definitely lighter. It's 6lbs I believe.

I'm using cci magnum rifle primers with black bullets and had a few light strikes. Some minor tweaks and it runs great.

6.5 glock striker spring

Set the primers slightly below flush. (Half turn on Dillon).

Shortened the oal to 1.08.

Sets off these hardass primers all day now.

5 minutes ago, lroy said:

I'm using cci magnum rifle primers with black bullets and had a few light strikes. Some minor tweaks and it runs great.

6.5 glock striker spring

yeah its weird the trigger pull weight was heavier with the 29 newton. Im going to put the stock back in and take another reading.

10 hours ago, lroy said:

6.5 glock striker spring

👏👏👏

• 2 weeks later...

New Canik Rival owner here.  I won it yesterday at the Gator Classic Louisiana Sectionals.  I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but the factory trigger is amazing.

IMG_1880.jpeg

Edited by GigG
Add Photo

Took it out to the range for a couple of quick mags worth of ammo. First mag I ran the factory recoil spring. 25 Yard Double Taps  image.thumb.jpeg.9bbb8a162e6a9e63e530e07d18c41d1c.jpeg

Second mag I used a Glock Store non-captured tungsten guide rod with a 15# G17 GS spring (only because I had them in the shop) and all was good and I liked the added weight up front.

10 Yard Double Taps

image.thumb.jpeg.edc40223eae4bd36b7556959b78851d2.jpeg

I also have a 13# GS Spring that I haven't shot with but it feeds the ammo into  battery well.

Now the question. For CO do I want another SRO or do I want to try something with a bigger dot?

Edited by GigG

3 hours ago, GigG said:

Took it out to the range for a couple of quick mags worth of ammo. First mag I ran the factory recoil spring. 25 Yard Double Taps  image.thumb.jpeg.9bbb8a162e6a9e63e530e07d18c41d1c.jpeg

Second mag I used a Glock Store non-captured tungsten guide rod with a 15# G17 GS spring (only because I had them in the shop) and all was good and I liked the added weight up front.

10 Yard Double Taps

image.thumb.jpeg.edc40223eae4bd36b7556959b78851d2.jpeg

I also have a 13# GS Spring that I haven't shot with but it feeds the ammo into  battery well.

Now the question. For CO do I want another SRO or do I want to try something with a bigger dot?

I have the 3XL on mine. I can send it with Bruce next weekend if you wanna check it out, I’ll be at work 

14 hours ago, ULshooter2491 said:

I have the 3XL on mine. I can send it with Bruce next weekend if you wanna check it out, I’ll be at work 

They've canceled the 2nd Saturday BPPS matches for the time being.